I wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 23 23, 8:54 amROAD TRIPG. Keenan wrote: ↑September 22 23, 9:20 pmI can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 22 23, 4:59 pmChicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.![]()
Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
- SunnyJim
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 924
- Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
- Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Back in the early aughts, I was my employers marketing manager for the Philadelphia area. I had my first sandwich topped with coleslaw and any number of great cheesesteaks. Also, I was introduced to Yuengling Lager which I crave to this day. Chickie and Pete's anybody?sighyoung wrote: ↑September 26 23, 3:08 pmI wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 23 23, 8:54 amROAD TRIPG. Keenan wrote: ↑September 22 23, 9:20 pmI can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 22 23, 4:59 pmChicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.![]()
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69850
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
You've got a spot in the van sigh! This road trip is going to be epic!!!sighyoung wrote: ↑September 26 23, 3:08 pmI wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 23 23, 8:54 amROAD TRIPG. Keenan wrote: ↑September 22 23, 9:20 pmI can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑September 22 23, 4:59 pmChicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.![]()
Philly does have a lot of different sights to see which were not mentioned by the op...because cheesesteaks. South Philly is where I spent most of my time of course because of the sports complexes there; but the Old City and the ports are really neat too.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
That must be the place we passed by when I was visiting relatives in Ft. Worth once, but passed because the line was so [expletive] long. I remember someone saying they only had a couple items on the menu, and everyone in line was drinking booze while they waited.cardsfantx wrote: ↑September 26 23, 11:17 amJoe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyardsheyzeus wrote: ↑September 26 23, 8:34 amThere's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.thrill wrote: ↑September 25 23, 1:17 pmI worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW
You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in
And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.
And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.
Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.
The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.
But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash
They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride
We ended up going to...what's the place with a Greek name where there are like three totally different restaurants around the same parking lot? Pappas? It was ok, huge portions, but I was up sh1tting all night long.
Online
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62279
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
I remember going to Joe T back in the ‘70s because of all the hype and came away unimpressed. My favorite Mexican restaurants during my time in Texas and Colorado were always the hole-in-the-wall Mom & Pop type places. I’d take them over the well-known establishments anytime.heyzeus wrote: ↑September 26 23, 11:55 amOh yeah, I've been there! My wife went to TCU, so they had some alumni event there once. I remember it being okay. But you're right, it's the sort of place that has it made just based on long ago legend. People in DFW are wild about the place though.cardsfantx wrote: ↑September 26 23, 11:17 amJoe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyardsheyzeus wrote: ↑September 26 23, 8:34 amThere's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.thrill wrote: ↑September 25 23, 1:17 pmI worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW
You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in
And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.
And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.
Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.
The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.
But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash
They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
On paper it sounds like it has all the ingredients for an elite neighborhood institution except incredible food. Cash only. Extremely limited menu. Lines outside. Great ambiance vibes. It has all the trappings, so I think people must be fooled by that. If someone told me there was a neighborhood institution with those factors, I would just assume its incredible.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69850
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Tony Luke's
Told you I didn't like this place.
The father and son who run Tony Luke's in South Philadelphia were sentenced to nearly two years in prison for tax fraud charges, the United States Department of Justice said on Thursday.
Nicholas Lucidonio, 57, and Anthony Lucidonio Sr., 84, were sentenced to 20 months in prison each after a decade-long conspiracy from 2006 to 2016 showed they hid more than $8 million in cash receipts and other things,
Told you I didn't like this place.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69850
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Philadelphia Native Michael Siani has listed Dalessandro's as his go to place for cheese steak so I am giving it an honorable mention.
- SunnyJim
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 924
- Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
- Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Add this to your itinerary.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/bu ... g/3844433/
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/bu ... g/3844433/
And how about some scrapple?Jim's Steaks says it will open at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
- Fat_Bulldog
- likes to grate his own cheese
- Posts: 12861
- Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
- Location: Drunk
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Cheesesteaks!!!! mmmmm



