Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 23 23, 8:54 am
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 9:20 pm
CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 4:59 pm
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 1:48 pm
Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Italian Beef.

Discuss.
Chicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.
I can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.
ROAD TRIP ‼️‼️‼️‼️
I wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.

User avatar
SunnyJim
Veteran Player
Posts: 924
Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by SunnyJim »

sighyoung wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 3:08 pm
CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 23 23, 8:54 am
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 9:20 pm
CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 4:59 pm
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 1:48 pm
Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Italian Beef.

Discuss.
Chicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.
I can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.
ROAD TRIP ‼️‼️‼️‼️
I wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.
Back in the early aughts, I was my employers marketing manager for the Philadelphia area. I had my first sandwich topped with coleslaw and any number of great cheesesteaks. Also, I was introduced to Yuengling Lager which I crave to this day. Chickie and Pete's anybody?

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69850
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by CardsofSTL »

sighyoung wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 3:08 pm
CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 23 23, 8:54 am
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 9:20 pm
CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 4:59 pm
G. Keenan wrote: ↑
September 22 23, 1:48 pm
Philly Cheesesteak vs Chicago Italian Beef.

Discuss.
Chicago shouldn't have cheese and it's dependent on the au jus which can open it up for failures whereas even an average Philly steak can be saved by copious amounts of cheese.
I can't remember the last time I had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now this thread has me craving one big time.
ROAD TRIP ‼️‼️‼️‼️
I wouldn't mind returning to Philadelphia in the next couple of years: it's been more than twenty-five since I was there. (Bad grad-school memories, plus raising kids.) I lived in West Philly for six years, so while I had a few cheesesteaks, the food truck scene was amazing, plus there were two Ethiopian restaurants, two solid-to-good Thai restaurants, a nice pizza place a few blocks away, Jamaican food, and the Reading Terminal Market for nice breakfast options. Probably only the Reading Terminal Market would still be around.
You've got a spot in the van sigh! This road trip is going to be epic!!!

Philly does have a lot of different sights to see which were not mentioned by the op...because cheesesteaks. South Philly is where I spent most of my time of course because of the sports complexes there; but the Old City and the ports are really neat too.

User avatar
Smith Corks One
All-Star
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by Smith Corks One »

cardsfantx wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 11:17 am
heyzeus wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 8:34 am
thrill wrote: ↑
September 25 23, 1:17 pm
I worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
There's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.

Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Joe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyards

Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW

You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in

And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.

And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.

Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.

The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.

But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash

They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride
That must be the place we passed by when I was visiting relatives in Ft. Worth once, but passed because the line was so [expletive] long. I remember someone saying they only had a couple items on the menu, and everyone in line was drinking booze while they waited.

We ended up going to...what's the place with a Greek name where there are like three totally different restaurants around the same parking lot? Pappas? It was ok, huge portions, but I was up sh1tting all night long.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62279
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 11:55 am
cardsfantx wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 11:17 am
heyzeus wrote: ↑
September 26 23, 8:34 am
thrill wrote: ↑
September 25 23, 1:17 pm
I worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
There's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.

Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Joe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyards

Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW

You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in

And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.

And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.

Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.

The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.

But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash

They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride
Oh yeah, I've been there! My wife went to TCU, so they had some alumni event there once. I remember it being okay. But you're right, it's the sort of place that has it made just based on long ago legend. People in DFW are wild about the place though.
I remember going to Joe T back in the ‘70s because of all the hype and came away unimpressed. My favorite Mexican restaurants during my time in Texas and Colorado were always the hole-in-the-wall Mom & Pop type places. I’d take them over the well-known establishments anytime.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by thrill »

On paper it sounds like it has all the ingredients for an elite neighborhood institution except incredible food. Cash only. Extremely limited menu. Lines outside. Great ambiance vibes. It has all the trappings, so I think people must be fooled by that. If someone told me there was a neighborhood institution with those factors, I would just assume its incredible.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69850
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by CardsofSTL »

Tony Luke's

The father and son who run Tony Luke's in South Philadelphia were sentenced to nearly two years in prison for tax fraud charges, the United States Department of Justice said on Thursday.

Nicholas Lucidonio, 57, and Anthony Lucidonio Sr., 84, were sentenced to 20 months in prison each after a decade-long conspiracy from 2006 to 2016 showed they hid more than $8 million in cash receipts and other things,

Told you I didn't like this place.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69850
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by CardsofSTL »

Philadelphia Native Michael Siani has listed Dalessandro's as his go to place for cheese steak so I am giving it an honorable mention.

User avatar
SunnyJim
Veteran Player
Posts: 924
Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by SunnyJim »

Add this to your itinerary.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/bu ... g/3844433/
Jim's Steaks says it will open at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
And how about some scrapple?

User avatar
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Location: Drunk

Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Cheesesteaks!!!! mmmmm

Post Reply