Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Can I say something? Can I just say something real quick...?
Ok so I'm not saying I agree with him, but I am saying I get what he is saying. A poorly executed cheese steak can be bad (bad ingredients, overcooked, gross grill crusted with other stuff getting in there) and they're not always hitting the same way. I suppose you can say that about everything, but I'm just saying I've had bad cheesesteaks.
Ok so I'm not saying I agree with him, but I am saying I get what he is saying. A poorly executed cheese steak can be bad (bad ingredients, overcooked, gross grill crusted with other stuff getting in there) and they're not always hitting the same way. I suppose you can say that about everything, but I'm just saying I've had bad cheesesteaks.
- AdmiralKird
- MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
- Posts: 10174
- Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
- Location: Tycho Crater, Luna
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
I think you could make a good cheesesteak under optimal circumstances but most time they're just disappointing. They aren't hot dogs where you could just throw any slab of meat on a bun and call it a day. Most cheesesteaks don't have any juice in the steak with how its cut, leading them to overdosing it in cheese to keep it from being dry, and both get overpowered by the bread holding it together. I think cheesesteak coasts on the reputation of cheese and steak and is undeserved.
- G. Keenan
- Sucking on the Rally Nipple
- Posts: 23718
- Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
- Location: Chicago
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
I think I consumed 99% of my lifetime intake of cheesesteaks in college between 2000 - 2002 while I still had a meal pass to the campus grill. Pretty sure I ate nothing but cheesesteaks, chicken tenders, and Bosco Sticks for about 2 years there.
It's entirely possible I haven't had one since.
It's entirely possible I haven't had one since.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
I worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69853
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
If you're not in Philly don't bother with a cheese steak
Unless you're making it at home yourself because those can be larapin.
And yeah... Any food made poorly can be trash. I even had bad pizza one time which I used to think was impossible.
Unless you're making it at home yourself because those can be larapin.
And yeah... Any food made poorly can be trash. I even had bad pizza one time which I used to think was impossible.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43281
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
There's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.thrill wrote: ↑September 25 23, 1:17 pmI worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69853
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Truth.
Here it's a Chinese place downtown. Terrible but people rave over it. Get real. We do have a great Chinese place but it's on the north side. These people need standards.
Here it's a Chinese place downtown. Terrible but people rave over it. Get real. We do have a great Chinese place but it's on the north side. These people need standards.
- Fat_Bulldog
- likes to grate his own cheese
- Posts: 12861
- Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
- Location: Drunk
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
I'm still sad that not everyone loves cheesesteaks.
-
cardsfantx
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12190
- Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Joe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyardsheyzeus wrote: ↑September 26 23, 8:34 amThere's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.thrill wrote: ↑September 25 23, 1:17 pmI worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW
You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in
And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.
And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.
Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.
The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.
But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash
They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43281
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Philly Cheesesteaks and Me: Philly Trip August 2023
Oh yeah, I've been there! My wife went to TCU, so they had some alumni event there once. I remember it being okay. But you're right, it's the sort of place that has it made just based on long ago legend. People in DFW are wild about the place though.cardsfantx wrote: ↑September 26 23, 11:17 amJoe T Garcias in ft worth in the stockyardsheyzeus wrote: ↑September 26 23, 8:34 amThere's always that one place that your work colleagues make you go to that is awful. For me, it's this tex-mex place that's been around in Austin for like 75 years. They claim they invented queso dip (dubious). It's 100% a place that is coasting on its reputation and the fact that older well-heeled politico types flock there, because the food is mediocre.thrill wrote: ↑September 25 23, 1:17 pmI worked in an office for 10 years where everyone's favorite lunch spot was a place down the street that served bad, dry cheesesteaks and I hated it. Had to eat there like more than 25 times. Their fries were soft steak fries too. Absolute trash hole that everyone else loved.
Anyway, folks from my firm are there multiple times a week.
Famous, celebrities spotted there all the time if they’re in DFW
You wait outside in the heat for 1-2 hours every single day to go in
And they serve 2 [expletive] things. Fajitas or enchiladas.
And they’re all s#it…you’re in TX. every single Mexican restaurant is better. Hell, chain restaurants are better.
Oh, and they only take fu#king cash.
The ambiance is cool…it’s a beautiful outdoor restaurant.
But they serve 2 times that are terrible and have to wait 1-2 hours, and have to remember cash
They make their margaritas with everclear, so that’s nice if you have a ride


