Ask GRB

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Superorganism wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 1:46 pm
Nanotechnology. Robotics. AI. Senescence research.
The Metaverse :)

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 1:52 pm
Superorganism wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 1:46 pm
Nanotechnology. Robotics. AI. Senescence research.
The Metaverse :)
Image

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 1:51 pm
GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 12:00 pm
My almost-16 year old daughter is starting to really find she has a love for math and science. She's killing it in Algebra 2 and Chemistry this year. For a long time she thought she was wanting to be some kind of therapist (physical, not counseling). She has been researching Occupational Therapy college programs for a year or more already. But recently she's thinking about a more math/engineering track possibly. She mentioned biomechanical engineering last night. I also mentioned a need for bright minds in the global warming fight.

My question for GRB: Where would you try to steer a wickedly smart young lady who wants to do something that will make a substantial difference in people's lives in the STEM field? Preferably with a forecasted high need in the next 10-20-30 years.
Looking back, I wish I had looked more into what the different types of engineering actually did. No joke, I became a civil engineer solely because I knew a guy who was one, and I was good at the math/science stuff, so, eh, why not. lol

Regardless, I think Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla (about 100 miles west of StL on 44) offers a weeklong summer camp about the different fields. Just checked and they still offer it. https://futurestudents.mst.edu/summer-c ... gineering/ No idea if you are looking for something that intense, but thought I'd offer it.

Also, should say, just because someone is good at the STEM fields, doesn't necessarily mean they will enjoy it. Just because someone likes math, particularly, doesn't mean they will enjoy engineering as the heavy math work is done by computer models anymore. I've seen plenty of people that graduated with an engineering degree change career paths post graduation.

As to what will make a substantial difference in peoples' lives? I don't know. But deciding what she enjoys, and pursuing that, is probably a good start at building a fruitful future.

Lastly, I always thought it was bull [expletive] that people, 15-16 years of age are supposed to know what they want to do when they're 45. How the F is a kid supposed to know that.
Thanks for the thoughts AW! We're going to a STEM night tonight at East Cental College, actually. And we'll look into that MS&T summer camp.

Completely agree with your last sentiment. But my daughter has always been a planner. She likes to know what's going to happen, when it will happen, and who will be there, etc. I always joked, even when she was 7 or 8, that she was daddy's little project manager. LOL! I think that thinking it through and analyzing what might be a good path for her makes her feel comforted. It helps with that fear of the unknown for her.

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11714
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Ask GRB

Post by mikechamp »

I'll second @AWvsCBsteeeerike3's comment about:
deciding what she enjoys, and pursuing that, is probably a good start at building a fruitful future.
If she can figure out what she's passionate about, then she can apply her talents, perspective and intellect towards that and she'll enjoy her career because it won't feel like work.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, that's where she's struggling. Like I was saying, she has always been the type of kid that wants to know THE PLAN. And if there isn't one, she starts making one. Up until the last 6 months or so she was really set on Occupational Therapy but has recently discovered this math/engineering stuff is cool too. So I think she's kind of overwhelmed with all the new choices in front of her. I had a talk with her last night about it all. She said something to the effect of "people keep saying there's time to figure all this out, but Is there?? If I do the early college program, I need to figure out if I want more biology focus or more math focus by this summer!!" I told her she didn't need to worry about that so much. If she did do the early college thing, she could focus mostly on gen ed with a lean towards biology. And then if she comes out of that leaning towards engineering, so what? People change majors half way through college all the time! She was not convinced though. LOL

Oh the joys of being an intelligent and driven teen with anxiety and "gifted child syndrome".

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

@GeddyWrox Ha. Some problems are better to have than others. :)

It's been a while since going through school, but iirc courses the first couple years are generally the same for most of the STEM field: Biology 101, Chemistry 101, Physics 101, all the associated labs, Calc 1 and possibly 2 and 3, possibly organic chemistry and physical chemistry, then into engineering there is statics, mechanics of materials, etc. There's going to be requirements for the arts, languages, and humanities (paging @sighyoung to correct my ignorant terminology/understanding here) regardless of major. Again, iirc, that's the first couple years. The next couple years are when the focus really gets into majors (eg for civil engineering: hydrology and hydraulics, roadway design, structural analysis, material comps, geotech, contract and specification, etc etc etc).

All that to say, if you go into engineering, the first couple years largely look the same for everyone. And, that's going to be pretty close to the same for most of the applied sciences. And, again, iirc, there's a pretty decided split between the calc requirements if you're going into medical fields vs engineering fields. And, those classes are tough, probably don't want to take Calc 3 (seriously, [expletive] calc 3) if you don't need to or P chem if you don't need to, but it's not the end of the world to do so.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, the Calc is her current fear about all of this. She REALLY wants to do the early college program through STLCC (go to Ju Co instead of high school for her junior and senior years, graduate at 18 with her HS diploma and an Associates degree [2 years of college out of the way]). IF she wants to pursue engineering, that would mean she'd probably have to jump from Algebra 2 this year to Calc. She's not quite that good at math (yet :-) ) If she decides on the OT career track, the math requirements are lower, and it fits with her plan to do early college much easier.

I just don't want her to sell herself short. She could really do something special with her combination of heart and brains. But again, she could do the early college, take less math early on, do more of the gen ed and biology stuff and still pivot into more of the math/engineering stuff when she's enrolled in the university level.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'd argue calc 1 is relatively to incredibly easy. Basically derivatives and integrals which is simple math, and incredibly applicable in the real world (eg, the position equation).

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12891
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Ask GRB

Post by IMADreamer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
November 11 21, 10:57 am
I'd argue calc 1 is relatively to incredibly easy. Basically derivatives and integrals which is simple math, and incredibly applicable in the real world (eg, the position equation).
I agree, Cal 1, was pretty easy for me compared to Algebra 2. I felt like things didn't get hard again until Differential Equations which I sucked at and took two tries to get through.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
November 11 21, 10:57 am
I'd argue calc 1 is relatively to incredibly easy. Basically derivatives and integrals which is simple math, and incredibly applicable in the real world (eg, the position equation).
I remember having the same feeling about Calc I. Calc II kicked my ass. And for some reason I really enjoyed Calc III. It was more like Calc I but in multi dimensions, which I really loved. I just think it would be a tough jump for her. She's great once she understands the process but it takes her a bit to get comfortable with new math approaches.

Post Reply