Ask GRB
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Ask GRB
I have a random electronics question. Maybe this can be a catch-all for quick questions about a variety of topics. I'm pretty sure we've had a thread like this before but I can't find it.
There was a storm this afternoon, and I got an alert on my phone that my cameras were out and came home to find the router and modem dead and then was informed that one of two printers in the basement was fried. No breakers were tripped, I'm pretty sure the power never went out but not positive, and everything was on surge protectors that also didn't trip. There were other electronics that made it through fine.
Tried plugging the three things that died into other outlets, changing power cords etc. I took the modem back to charter and they gave me a new one and then I created a new network using one of the other surviving wifi points as the hub, but now I have these two relatively expensive pieces of equipment that seem completely shot.
What happened?
There was a storm this afternoon, and I got an alert on my phone that my cameras were out and came home to find the router and modem dead and then was informed that one of two printers in the basement was fried. No breakers were tripped, I'm pretty sure the power never went out but not positive, and everything was on surge protectors that also didn't trip. There were other electronics that made it through fine.
Tried plugging the three things that died into other outlets, changing power cords etc. I took the modem back to charter and they gave me a new one and then I created a new network using one of the other surviving wifi points as the hub, but now I have these two relatively expensive pieces of equipment that seem completely shot.
What happened?
-
Arthur Dent
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12536
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
- Location: Austin
Re: Ask GRB
I’m not sure, but if there’s more you can do to confirm those devices really died, I would do it. If these are networked cameras and printers, can you do a factory reset and then try to bring them up on a known working network?
I recently had a computer “die” after a storm, and I didn’t have the energy to deal with it for months. Turned out I just needed to boot it with a different monitor to see there was an error message about the SSD nearing end of life. I think the TV I had it plugged into couldn’t handle old timey text only video output modes the BIOS used to display these error messages. Not exactly applicable to your situation other than that it is often the case that when you think you have some horrible catastrophic failure, it’s often actually some relatively minor issue.
I recently had a computer “die” after a storm, and I didn’t have the energy to deal with it for months. Turned out I just needed to boot it with a different monitor to see there was an error message about the SSD nearing end of life. I think the TV I had it plugged into couldn’t handle old timey text only video output modes the BIOS used to display these error messages. Not exactly applicable to your situation other than that it is often the case that when you think you have some horrible catastrophic failure, it’s often actually some relatively minor issue.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Ask GRB
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18727
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Ask GRB
The BonAir.
- G. Keenan
- Sucking on the Rally Nipple
- Posts: 23718
- Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
- Location: Chicago
Re: Ask GRB
Haltz, you are likely the victim of an EM pulse. Have there been any reports of top secret government operations in your area or UFO sightings? I would pursue that avenue of inquiry if I were you.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69874
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Ask GRB
I hate commenting on St. Louis things since I haven't lived there in a while; but if Dominic's on the Hill is still around it is a great place; definitely would be on my must eat at list.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Ask GRB
Downtown
- Popeye_Card
- GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
- Posts: 31037
- Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Re: Ask GRB
Hmm. Downtown is a bit of a letdown for good food options. What kind of foodie is she? e.g. Prefers fancy, unique takes on dishes, or wants to enjoy dishes that are associated with the local culture?



