Ask GRB

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Ask GRB

Post by haltz »

I have a random electronics question. Maybe this can be a catch-all for quick questions about a variety of topics. I'm pretty sure we've had a thread like this before but I can't find it.

There was a storm this afternoon, and I got an alert on my phone that my cameras were out and came home to find the router and modem dead and then was informed that one of two printers in the basement was fried. No breakers were tripped, I'm pretty sure the power never went out but not positive, and everything was on surge protectors that also didn't trip. There were other electronics that made it through fine.

Tried plugging the three things that died into other outlets, changing power cords etc. I took the modem back to charter and they gave me a new one and then I created a new network using one of the other surviving wifi points as the hub, but now I have these two relatively expensive pieces of equipment that seem completely shot.

What happened?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Arthur Dent »

I’m not sure, but if there’s more you can do to confirm those devices really died, I would do it. If these are networked cameras and printers, can you do a factory reset and then try to bring them up on a known working network?

I recently had a computer “die” after a storm, and I didn’t have the energy to deal with it for months. Turned out I just needed to boot it with a different monitor to see there was an error message about the SSD nearing end of life. I think the TV I had it plugged into couldn’t handle old timey text only video output modes the BIOS used to display these error messages. Not exactly applicable to your situation other than that it is often the case that when you think you have some horrible catastrophic failure, it’s often actually some relatively minor issue.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Ask GRB

Post by thrill »

My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18727
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: Ask GRB

Post by cardinalkarp »

thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 7:41 am
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
Where are they staying?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The BonAir.

User avatar
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
Posts: 23718
Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Ask GRB

Post by G. Keenan »

Haltz, you are likely the victim of an EM pulse. Have there been any reports of top secret government operations in your area or UFO sightings? I would pursue that avenue of inquiry if I were you.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Ask GRB

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 7:41 am
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
Image

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69876
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Ask GRB

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 7:41 am
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
I hate commenting on St. Louis things since I haven't lived there in a while; but if Dominic's on the Hill is still around it is a great place; definitely would be on my must eat at list.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Ask GRB

Post by thrill »

cardinalkarp wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 9:04 am
thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 7:41 am
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
Where are they staying?
Downtown

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Popeye_Card »

thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 10:23 am
cardinalkarp wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 9:04 am
thrill wrote: ↑
August 11 21, 7:41 am
My friend is a huge foodie and is going to StL for a conference in a couple of weeks. Where should we send her?
Where are they staying?
Downtown
Hmm. Downtown is a bit of a letdown for good food options. What kind of foodie is she? e.g. Prefers fancy, unique takes on dishes, or wants to enjoy dishes that are associated with the local culture?

Post Reply