Ask GRB

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!
Posts: 10841
Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
Location: Lost in the Cloud

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Schlich »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
October 26 21, 5:56 pm
Are Seventh Day Adventists a fundamental, rigid religion like Mormons and JWs? Or are they more low key like Methodists and Lutherans or whatever. Apologies if I'm offending/bothering anyone with these generalizations.

We just moved next to a private 7DA school. It's funny to see the soccer field empty on Saturdays. I tried to Google this but i couldn't figure out how to word the query.
My biological father is a SDA, he's a verifiable kook, pretty much a walking caricature of fox news evangelical. Not creepy-nice like the mormons or creepy-pushy like the JW, just whacko

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

What's healthier: Lard or vegetable oil?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12190
Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am

Re: Ask GRB

Post by cardsfantx »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
October 27 21, 1:27 pm
What's healthier: Lard or vegetable oil?
is this for a massage?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardsfantx wrote: ↑
October 27 21, 1:28 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
October 27 21, 1:27 pm
What's healthier: Lard or vegetable oil?
is this for a massage?
Everyone knows to use coconut oil for a massage, right?

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69853
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Ask GRB

Post by CardsofSTL »

Lard consumption can lead to depression.

User avatar
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Location: Drunk

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
October 27 21, 2:17 pm
Lard consumption can lead to depression.
Fake news. I love lard!

User avatar
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole
Posts: 14398
Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Anyone here a programmer/developer? And use Oculus/VR at all? Looking for opinions on how you like it.

Thinking about getting rid of all monitors in my house and going to VR for a work station as a space-saving thing and because computer monitors and wires are ugly as hell. I love the idea of creating multiple enviroments and windows in a VR world that would be way better than current monitor setup. It would probably take adjusting.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Ask GRB

Post by GeddyWrox »

My almost-16 year old daughter is starting to really find she has a love for math and science. She's killing it in Algebra 2 and Chemistry this year. For a long time she thought she was wanting to be some kind of therapist (physical, not counseling). She has been researching Occupational Therapy college programs for a year or more already. But recently she's thinking about a more math/engineering track possibly. She mentioned biomechanical engineering last night. I also mentioned a need for bright minds in the global warming fight.

My question for GRB: Where would you try to steer a wickedly smart young lady who wants to do something that will make a substantial difference in people's lives in the STEM field? Preferably with a forecasted high need in the next 10-20-30 years.

Superorganism
Veteran Player
Posts: 1021
Joined: October 21 20, 8:13 am

Re: Ask GRB

Post by Superorganism »

Nanotechnology. Robotics. AI. Senescence research.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Ask GRB

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
November 10 21, 12:00 pm
My almost-16 year old daughter is starting to really find she has a love for math and science. She's killing it in Algebra 2 and Chemistry this year. For a long time she thought she was wanting to be some kind of therapist (physical, not counseling). She has been researching Occupational Therapy college programs for a year or more already. But recently she's thinking about a more math/engineering track possibly. She mentioned biomechanical engineering last night. I also mentioned a need for bright minds in the global warming fight.

My question for GRB: Where would you try to steer a wickedly smart young lady who wants to do something that will make a substantial difference in people's lives in the STEM field? Preferably with a forecasted high need in the next 10-20-30 years.
Looking back, I wish I had looked more into what the different types of engineering actually did. No joke, I became a civil engineer solely because I knew a guy who was one, and I was good at the math/science stuff, so, eh, why not. lol

Regardless, I think Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla (about 100 miles west of StL on 44) offers a weeklong summer camp about the different fields. Just checked and they still offer it. https://futurestudents.mst.edu/summer-c ... gineering/ No idea if you are looking for something that intense, but thought I'd offer it.

Also, should say, just because someone is good at the STEM fields, doesn't necessarily mean they will enjoy it. Just because someone likes math, particularly, doesn't mean they will enjoy engineering as the heavy math work is done by computer models anymore. I've seen plenty of people that graduated with an engineering degree change career paths post graduation.

As to what will make a substantial difference in peoples' lives? I don't know. But deciding what she enjoys, and pursuing that, is probably a good start at building a fruitful future.

Lastly, I always thought it was bull [expletive] that people, 15-16 years of age are supposed to know what they want to do when they're 45. How the F is a kid supposed to know that.

Post Reply