Mizzou football 2010

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by JL21 »

I agree about Nebraska being overrated, but that game is in Lincoln. And even though top 10 is too much, they're undeniably a top 25 team.

Tech should be a win, but it's in Lubbock and Tuberville is committed to keeping the spread. Leach left a lot of talent in the cupboard. I'll be surprised if Tech's not a bowl team this year. Not a great team but they should win 7 or 8 games. Beating them in Lubbock is nothing to sneeze at.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Certainly Nebraska deserves to be ranked, partly on merit and partly on their schedule. I can name several teams that I think are better apples to apples. But they are the clear favorites in the North and a lot of other ranked teams have some brutal schedules so they'll be right there most of the season. They'll have enough chance to prove me wrong against Texas and then potentially in the title game against OU or Texas. I think Mizzou's chances to win in Lincoln might depend a lot on the weather.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Joe Biddle of the Tennessean reported in July that former Missouri and Vanderbilt head coach Woody Widenhofer is working at a highway toll booth in the Florida panhandle. Seriously.
Glad I didn't hitch a ride on Woody's Wagon.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by lukethedrifter »

Lipstick on a pig and all that. This is a crappy schedule and the only great wins that can be had are Oklahoma, which ain't gonna happen, and Nebraska- which will be a great win only if NU doesn't suck. I'm not sure why I feel so pessimistic. I guess it's because 8-4 is a bad record with this schedule.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I guess I don't understand why this qualifies as such a horrible schedule, especially in the preseason. Like I said, teams that are supposed to be good aren't going to have grueling conference slates(in any conference) because they can't play themselves. I guess they lost out on the "who is going to be good 4 years from now when this game is actually played" non-conference guessing game, but if they had scheduled someone like Arkansas instead of Illinois would you really feel that different?

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by lukethedrifter »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I guess I don't understand why this qualifies as such a horrible schedule, especially in the preseason. Like I said, teams that are supposed to be good aren't going to have grueling conference slates(in any conference) because they can't play themselves. I guess they lost out on the "who is going to be good 4 years from now when this game is actually played" non-conference guessing game, but if they had scheduled someone like Arkansas instead of Illinois would you really feel that different?

No. I went to Illinois. I have nothing against Illinois. I just hate these crappy schedules where you can't find out if your team is any good until 6 games into the season, you can only find out if they are bad. Obviously, it's not just a MU thing.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by JL21 »

I've lived through far, far, far too much horrible Mizzou football to consider 8-4 a "bad record", with any schedule, least of all one that includes the pre-season #8, and road games against #9 and two other teams that got Top 25 votes.

Maybe if they can sustain the last seven years' success over the next ten, I'll feel differently. But I'm a long way from being there right now.

User avatar
redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4921
Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by redbirdjazzz »

JL21 wrote:I've lived through far, far, far too much horrible Mizzou football to consider 8-4 a "bad record", with any schedule, least of all one that includes the pre-season #8, and road games against #9 and two other teams that got Top 25 votes.

Maybe if they can sustain the last seven years' success over the next ten, I'll feel differently. But I'm a long way from being there right now.
++ I was in Columbia in 1997-8 so I remember how ecstatic everyone was when we actually got to go to a couple of bowl games.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by JL21 »

redbirdjazzz wrote:++ I was in Columbia in 1997-8 so I remember how ecstatic everyone was when we actually got to go to a couple of bowl games.
Hell, I helped tear down a goal post in November '97 because they beat Baylor. The program has come a long way.

(ok, actually it's because it was leftover pent up energy from the devastating Huskers loss the week before and also because it made them bowl-eligible)

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Mizzou football 2010

Post by lukethedrifter »

JL21 wrote:I've lived through far, far, far too much horrible Mizzou football to consider 8-4 a "bad record", with any schedule, least of all one that includes the pre-season #8, and road games against #9 and two other teams that got Top 25 votes.

Maybe if they can sustain the last seven years' success over the next ten, I'll feel differently. But I'm a long way from being there right now.
Of course, you are right for the most part. Maybe 8-4 isn't bad by MU standards but given the schedule, it's not good either. Anyway, I'll be rooting for the Tigers just like I was back in the mid 70s when Onofrio led them to huge upsets over Bama, USC, OSU as well as crapping the bed against KU time and again.

Post Reply