BOOK PRICES
- clevername
- Bringer of FRBG
- Posts: 10380
- Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
- Location: Alabama
Re: BOOK PRICES
I found that a great deal of my classes did not require books. If I took good notes from the lectures, they usually didn't test on anything they didn't cover during class. I almost exclusively studied my notes and only used the books for things that weren't clear in the lecture.
The biggest kick in the pants, to me, was when you took the books to sell back to the store you were offered jack squat for them only to see the same dang used book marked up for sale at like triple what they're offering you.
The biggest kick in the pants, to me, was when you took the books to sell back to the store you were offered jack squat for them only to see the same dang used book marked up for sale at like triple what they're offering you.
Online
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18729
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: BOOK PRICES
I had a feeling people thought the same as me. In college alot of the professors never even used the book.
I would generally wait to see which ones went by the book and which ones didn't.
With all that said, taking advice from me on studying in college may not be something I would advise.
I would generally wait to see which ones went by the book and which ones didn't.
With all that said, taking advice from me on studying in college may not be something I would advise.
- Popeye_Card
- GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
- Posts: 31042
- Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Re: BOOK PRICES
Take my advice, don't take my advice.cardinalkarp wrote: With all that said, taking advice from me on studying in college may not be something I would advise.
--P--
- Dillagii
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 7926
- Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm
Re: BOOK PRICES
Try http://www.half.com I used to get good prices from that site.
Online
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18729
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: BOOK PRICES
exactlyPopeye_Card wrote:Take my advice, don't take my advice.cardinalkarp wrote: With all that said, taking advice from me on studying in college may not be something I would advise.
--P--
- Cronos
- In perpetuum
- Posts: 34778
- Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
- Location: St. Louis
Re: BOOK PRICES
I'm not sure I've ever taken a course that didn't require extensive reading of the book for test material. While I didn't necessarily keep up with the reading(I read slowly), I always got all the books.
I'm taking a class at SIUE this Fall as a grad student, and they have an interesting system there: they loan out texts like library books, making it a lot cheaper on the students. I don't know if they kick tuition up as a result, but I went and bought my books there yesterday(grad students still have to buy them) and I noticed that and thought it was a good system.
I'm taking a class at SIUE this Fall as a grad student, and they have an interesting system there: they loan out texts like library books, making it a lot cheaper on the students. I don't know if they kick tuition up as a result, but I went and bought my books there yesterday(grad students still have to buy them) and I noticed that and thought it was a good system.
- Bo Hart
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8770
- Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm
Re: BOOK PRICES
I have similar accomplishments that I am proud of. I hope to accomplish similar feats this semester, because I have some easy classes.thrill wrote:I got a B in Psychology and Sociology without a book. These are among my proudest academic accomplishments, right up there with getting an A on a Science project in 7th grade that was worth 50% of our overall grade; a project which I didn't actually do, as well as getting an A in a Modern Western Civ class I attended exactly 3 times.
I completely agree with what you guys are saying. Last semester I spent like $28 total on books and got like four of them. The important thing to remember is that you can find old editions for really, really, really, really cheap. For example: my speech book; last semester, I bought a book that was a couple of editions behind. I paid literally like $0.90. The shipping was quadruple the price of the book. The latest version was something like $70.
But then this semester I've got lame-ass teachers that assign questions directly out of the book. "OK, on page 245, do questions 4, 5 and 6." From my experience, when you have a new edition one of the things that you find that has changed are those questions. Plus, the really expensive book I bought ($80 shipped for the international edition version of it [vs. $160 in the book store]) also has a lab book that goes along with it that is absolutely vital.
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: BOOK PRICES
Wow, what is the exchange rate on Brazillian dollars, and where did you go to exchange your American dollars for Brazillian dollars?Simbagal23 wrote:Yep. I had classes in which the "required" book cost a brazillian dollars, even a used version. Then I would walk into class on the first night, the prof would say "Don't even bother looking at the book. I rarely reference it. We had to chose a book for you to buy and I just picked one.". That really ticked me off. I wasn't mad at the prof, more at the school for forcing us to buy books when the prof really didn't want to use one. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.cardinalkarp wrote:Who needs books.
- letsgocards89
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3654
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:35 pm
- Location: Too close for missiles, switching to guns
Re: BOOK PRICES
I was going to mention this very thing.Cronos69 wrote:I'm not sure I've ever taken a course that didn't require extensive reading of the book for test material. While I didn't necessarily keep up with the reading(I read slowly), I always got all the books.
I'm taking a class at SIUE this Fall as a grad student, and they have an interesting system there: they loan out texts like library books, making it a lot cheaper on the students. I don't know if they kick tuition up as a result, but I went and bought my books there yesterday(grad students still have to buy them) and I noticed that and thought it was a good system.
Go to SIUE, the books are cheaper, tuition is cheaper, and the girls are pretty hot.
- Cronos
- In perpetuum
- Posts: 34778
- Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
- Location: St. Louis
Re: BOOK PRICES
TIT.letsgocards89 wrote:I was going to mention this very thing.Cronos69 wrote:I'm not sure I've ever taken a course that didn't require extensive reading of the book for test material. While I didn't necessarily keep up with the reading(I read slowly), I always got all the books.
I'm taking a class at SIUE this Fall as a grad student, and they have an interesting system there: they loan out texts like library books, making it a lot cheaper on the students. I don't know if they kick tuition up as a result, but I went and bought my books there yesterday(grad students still have to buy them) and I noticed that and thought it was a good system.
Go to SIUE, the books are cheaper, tuition is cheaper, and the girls are pretty hot.
I noticed this yesterday on my first trip through campus.





