There was an article about it on the PD a few weeks ago. Looking all over for it, can't find anything.stlmark wrote:Of all the free agents, the only one I want the Blues sign is Dvorak. I think Sanford is a RFA though, right?
Interesting thing Cabby about Ryan Smyth. I actually haven't heard these rumors about us going after him. I would love to get him. Where did you hear this?
I'm looking forward to the decisions of TJ Oshie and EJ. I'm sure EJ will elect to turn pro, but I really want to see Oshie here also.
2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread
- cabby7588
- All-Star
- Posts: 2970
- Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
- Contact:
- JCShutout
- MacGyver of Underwear
- Posts: 13354
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: South City
The Blues need a scorer. They can throw Boyes at center if they get a winger, and Boyes at wing if they get a scorer. Just get someone who can score!cabby7588 wrote:There was an article about it on the PD a few weeks ago. Looking all over for it, can't find anything.stlmark wrote:Of all the free agents, the only one I want the Blues sign is Dvorak. I think Sanford is a RFA though, right?
Interesting thing Cabby about Ryan Smyth. I actually haven't heard these rumors about us going after him. I would love to get him. Where did you hear this?
I'm looking forward to the decisions of TJ Oshie and EJ. I'm sure EJ will elect to turn pro, but I really want to see Oshie here also.
Stempniak - Weight - Backes
FA Scorer - Boyes - Cajanek
Metro - JayMac - Mayers
Some combo of R. Johnson, Hinote, Glumac, King, etc.
Assumes that Drake retires, Mayers gets the C, Weight and Jax keep the As.
Oshie is small. He'll need a good 3/4 of a year to 1 year in Peoria to get acclimated to the bigger game. When he eventually comes up, people need to not worry if he struggles a bit early. He plays like a power forward but is only 5'11-6'0. He'll have to adjust a bit at each level. Even Stempy and Backes (6'2, 200+lbs) had to adjust.
We need to move a Dman for a good prospect, move up in the draft.
Brewer - Polak
Jackman - McKee
Salvador - Woywitka
Walker a #7
That's with a potential trade of Backman at the draft table (most trade value in the offseason, one of the oldest - pure speculation), and EJ not playing in the majors (I expect it, but am not counting on it). That's still a passable D for a rebuilding year.
I don't expect us to do a ton better than our overall this year unless we go out and get 2 good FAs. If we're going to sign someone, I say ether get a star or no one, because we have enough youth who can do the same job as a moderately priced role player. Not to mention Jackman will be due a raise soon and under Murray he's become a really great positional Dman...
to help my cause...
Backman, who is supposed to be a point-sciring Dman:
61games 7g 11a 18pts +13
Jackman, the no-offense guy:
70games 3g 24a 27 pts +20
Backs has a ton of potential, but Jax is delivering on both ends of the ice. He has changed the nature of his game twice since coming to the majors (not doing as much hitting while moving to a more positional approach on the defensive side, while also learning how to help out on the rush). He has succeeded in both areas. I want that kind of heart and determination on this team... that and he's still tough as nails.
Heres to 5-7 over .500 while EJ, Oshie, Backes, Stempy, Woywitka and Polak slowly get better to move us towards the playoffs in 09'!
- cabby7588
- All-Star
- Posts: 2970
- Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
- Contact:
I've just about had it with Drake as well. Something tells me the Blues will resign Metro, because they had offers for him when he got traded to us when we aquired him and didn't want to deal him. My fear is we just have too many 3rd and 4th line wingers.stlmark wrote:Good post JC. I think we should let Metro walk and play Oshie on the wing.
If Drake retires, I'll be one happy man.
- cabby7588
- All-Star
- Posts: 2970
- Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
- Contact:
Good post JC, but "EJ and TJ" will both be Blues in '07-'08. The Blues have made it pretty clear that they hope both of them will be in the Note next year, and even offered EJ to play for the team at the end of this season. There was an article on the post the other day about it, hinting the want both of them there, as well.
- stlmark
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4089
- Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
- Location: redbirdsnation
I think the reason they didn't trade Metro was the fact that they needed his services to fullfil the team. They couldn't make many more callups, unless emergency, so they had to keep him. I think they wanted a warm body from Atlanta to fill out a roster spot.cabby7588 wrote:I've just about had it with Drake as well. Something tells me the Blues will resign Metro, because they had offers for him when he got traded to us when we aquired him and didn't want to deal him. My fear is we just have too many 3rd and 4th line wingers.stlmark wrote:Good post JC. I think we should let Metro walk and play Oshie on the wing.
If Drake retires, I'll be one happy man.
That's one thing I'm worried about Cabby. To many 4th liners. I'd be happy if they got rid of Johnson too. Although, I do love Johnson's speed and penalty killing abilities. We know Mayers and Hinote will definetly be here next year.
- MrCrowesGarden
- 'Burb Boy
- Posts: 24841
- Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
- Location: Out of the Loop
Blackhawks won the draft lottery.
and get the 1st pick in the draft. Philadelphia, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Washington all slide down a spot. The Blues were unaffected.
Current Draft Order
1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Phoenix
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado
15. Edmonton (from NY Islanders)
16. Anaheim (from Tampa Bay)
17. NY Rangers
18. Calgary
19. St. Louis (from Atlanta)
20. Minnesota
21. Pittsburgh
22. Ottawa
23. Vancouver
24. St. Louis (from San Jose via New Jersey)
25. Phoenix (from Dallas)
26. Montreal (from San Jose)
27. Edmonton (from Anaheim)
28. Philadelphia (from Nashville)
29. Detroit
30. Washington (from Buffalo)
The Kings probably end up with the worst of this. As has been stated in this thread, there's no clear cut #1...but it seems that Patrick Kane, Jakub Voracek and Kyle Turris emerged as the clear top three. The drop off to the next level (the Cherepanovs, Alzners and Van Riemsdyk's of the world) is noticeable.
Current Draft Order
1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Phoenix
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado
15. Edmonton (from NY Islanders)
16. Anaheim (from Tampa Bay)
17. NY Rangers
18. Calgary
19. St. Louis (from Atlanta)
20. Minnesota
21. Pittsburgh
22. Ottawa
23. Vancouver
24. St. Louis (from San Jose via New Jersey)
25. Phoenix (from Dallas)
26. Montreal (from San Jose)
27. Edmonton (from Anaheim)
28. Philadelphia (from Nashville)
29. Detroit
30. Washington (from Buffalo)
The Kings probably end up with the worst of this. As has been stated in this thread, there's no clear cut #1...but it seems that Patrick Kane, Jakub Voracek and Kyle Turris emerged as the clear top three. The drop off to the next level (the Cherepanovs, Alzners and Van Riemsdyk's of the world) is noticeable.
- cabby7588
- All-Star
- Posts: 2970
- Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
- Contact:



