2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
cabby7588
All-Star
Posts: 2970
Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
Contact:

2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by cabby7588 »

Since the other one is locked I decided to post a new thread. The Blues have a ton of picks in the first round, including the 9th overall pick and depending on what the Thrashers and Sharks do in the playoffs, two later first rounders as well. Hopefully they make the most of their picks which they should with Jarmo. I hope they get some scoring, but at the same time, the way things work in the NHL, they need to just draft the best players on the board, no matter what position they play.

Rumor has it the Blues will put most of their interest in Ryan Smyth. He would be a ridiculously huge offseason signing, and he supposably doesn't want to play for the Rangers anymore and wants out. Danny Briere and Chris Drury would also be amazing, but I don't know if that is a realistic wish. Ryan Smyth would be the franchise-guy scorer we desperately need.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.
Blues free agents:
C-Glen Metropolit
W-Radek Dvorak
W-Vladmir Orzagh
W-Ville Nieminen
D-Jamie Rivers
G-Curtis Sanford
Bring back Sanford as a backup again, he had a rough season. I liked Dvorak but he is another 3rd line winger that we have too many of. Orzagh is whatever, he never played a game this year, can't hurt to have in the minors. Rivers is useless. Nieminen and Metropolit didn't do much for me either.

Returning Blues:

Forwards:
C-Doug Weight
C-David Backes
C-Brad Boyes
C-Peter Cajanek
C-Ryan Johnson
C-Jay McClement
W-T.J. Oshie
W-Lee Stempniak
W-Dallas Drake
W-Jamal Mayers
W-D.J. King
W-Peter Sejna
Defense:
Eric Johnson
Christian Backman
Eric Brewer
Barret Jackman
Jay McKee
Roman Polak
Matt Walker
Jeff Woywitka
Goalies:
Manny Legace
Jason Bacashihua
Anyways, thought I'd be fun to have an offseason thread here, we'll have a little Draft GDT here too. PLEASE correct me if any of this info is wrong!
Last edited by cabby7588 on April 9 07, 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Post by thrill »

I believe Niemenin and Metropolit are FA's.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The most the Blues can hope for is that neither the Devils (whose pick we got from San Jose) nor the Thrashers make the conference finals, as the four teams that make it that far get the last four picks (with Stanley Cup winner picking last, followed by the SC loser and the conference finals losers)

Current 1st round NHL draft order if I'm not mistaken (based off of draft rules and points):

1. Philadelphia
2. Phoenix
3. Los Angeles
4. Washington
5. Chicago
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado
15. Edmonton (from NY Islanders)
16. Anaheim (from Tampa Bay)
17. NY Rangers
18. Calgary
19. St. Louis (from Atlanta)
20. Minnesota
21. Pittsburgh
22. Ottawa
23. Vancouver
24. St. Louis (from San Jose via New Jersey)
25. Phoenix (from Dallas)
26. Montreal (from San Jose)
27. Edmonton (from Anaheim)
28. Philadelphia (from Nashville)
29. Detroit
30. Washington (from Buffalo)

The first 14, unless trades are made, are locked in.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Post by thrill »

I'd like to see our 9th and the most expendable D-man (whoever they decide that is) to move up to a top 5.

User avatar
cabby7588
All-Star
Posts: 2970
Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
Contact:

Post by cabby7588 »

thrill wrote:I believe Niemenin and Metropolit are FA's.
Hmm, I'll check into that one.

User avatar
cabby7588
All-Star
Posts: 2970
Joined: June 6 06, 9:26 pm
Contact:

Post by cabby7588 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:The most the Blues can hope for is that neither the Devils (whose pick we got from San Jose) nor the Thrashers make the conference finals, as the four teams that make it that far get the last four picks (with Stanley Cup winner picking last, followed by the SC loser and the conference finals losers)
I didn't realize it was New Jerseys pick. I think NJ plays the Penguins in the first round, correct? If so, GO PENGUINS!


Also, is Tkachuck signs with Atlanta, we get another first rounded in '08!

Futures looking bright...

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13354
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Post by JCShutout »

thrill wrote:I'd like to see our 9th and the most expendable D-man (whoever they decide that is) to move up to a top 5.
I'd rather we package someone with our 19th pick to move up to somewhere in the 10-12 range.

It has been said (too lazy too find my sources) that in this draft there is no one superstar a la Crosby, but there are about 15 pretty sure-fire good 1st round picks, and that this is a decent draft depth wise.

I would think seriously about trading the atl pick with someone like Backman for another top 10 pick, and maybe the #19 and our third rounder for something in the 10-12 overall range.

It will be interesting to see what Jarmo does. You can be sure that if he is worried about losing his guy, we'll move up.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13354
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Post by JCShutout »

cabby7588 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:The most the Blues can hope for is that neither the Devils (whose pick we got from San Jose) nor the Thrashers make the conference finals, as the four teams that make it that far get the last four picks (with Stanley Cup winner picking last, followed by the SC loser and the conference finals losers)
I didn't realize it was New Jerseys pick. I think NJ plays the Penguins in the first round, correct? If so, GO PENGUINS!


Also, is Tkachuck signs with Atlanta, we get another first rounded in '08!

Futures looking bright...
I think if New Jersey loses in the first round and Larry Pleau sneezes, the Devils get Eric Johnson, TJ Oshie, Lee Stempniak and our next 37 first, second, third and fourth round picks.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

JCShutout wrote:
cabby7588 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:The most the Blues can hope for is that neither the Devils (whose pick we got from San Jose) nor the Thrashers make the conference finals, as the four teams that make it that far get the last four picks (with Stanley Cup winner picking last, followed by the SC loser and the conference finals losers)
I didn't realize it was New Jerseys pick. I think NJ plays the Penguins in the first round, correct? If so, GO PENGUINS!


Also, is Tkachuck signs with Atlanta, we get another first rounded in '08!

Futures looking bright...
I think if New Jersey loses in the first round and Larry Pleau sneezes, the Devils get Eric Johnson, TJ Oshie, Lee Stempniak and our next 37 first, second, third and fourth round picks.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

Of all the free agents, the only one I want the Blues sign is Dvorak. I think Sanford is a RFA though, right?

Interesting thing Cabby about Ryan Smyth. I actually haven't heard these rumors about us going after him. I would love to get him. Where did you hear this?

I'm looking forward to the decisions of TJ Oshie and EJ. I'm sure EJ will elect to turn pro, but I really want to see Oshie here also.

Post Reply