Good words
- Richie Allen
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 7458
- Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am
Re: Good words
Inguinal. Hiatal. I like anything hernia related.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69869
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Good words
Fiasco.
Just used this word in the GDT, and I have decided it is good.
Just used this word in the GDT, and I have decided it is good.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Good words
Here's some wine-nerd [expletive] no one cares about.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑May 14 22, 9:07 amFiasco.
Just used this word in the GDT, and I have decided it is good.
Fiasco is Italian for bottle or flask, particularly the traditional round-bottom straw covered bottles, which is easier from a glass blowing perspective and the basket lets it sit upright on a table and also reinforces the bottle for transport. The indentation you see on the bottom of a more typical bottle called a "punt" where it's pushed up inside the bottom seam is is another byproduct of handmade bottles, giving it more stability when standing upright among other things.
Fiasco also has the same figurative meaning of "disaster" in Italian, the phrase far fiasco, literally means to "make a bottle" but has become slang for a screw up.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Good words
I disagreed with your point even before you made it.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑May 14 22, 9:07 amFiasco.
Just used this word in the GDT, and I have decided it is good.
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Good words
Certain acronyms that arose during World War II are great, such as snafu (Situation Normal: All F*cked Up) and FUBAR (F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition).
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69869
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Good words
While you are allowed your opinion; I disagree. Debacle is too institutional and lacks musical quality. Fiasco resonates with feeling.Smith Corks One wrote: ↑May 14 22, 11:17 amI disagreed with your point even before you made it.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑May 14 22, 9:07 amFiasco.
Just used this word in the GDT, and I have decided it is good.
- MrCrowesGarden
- 'Burb Boy
- Posts: 24841
- Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
- Location: Out of the Loop
Re: Good words
It’s not an acronym, but a word with a similar meaning as snafu and FUBAR that’s also a great word: “borked.”
- SunnyJim
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 924
- Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
- Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Good words
When I was a waiter in the late 80s, there was a busboy (man, he was 6' 4" and played hoops at U City High) who once said to me, "Dude, you are more loquacious than Howard Cosell.
He was a wild bunch of incongruities.
- SunnyJim
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 924
- Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm
- Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Good words
Obscurant
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69869
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH


