Pandemic Blues Playlist

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69906
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by CardsofSTL »


User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38622
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by sighyoung »


User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38622
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by sighyoung »


User avatar
redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4921
Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by redbirdjazzz »


User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62339
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by Radbird »

Really enjoyed that, jazzz.

User avatar
redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4921
Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Radbird wrote: ↑
September 25 20, 4:29 pm
Really enjoyed that, jazzz.
I’m really enjoying his stuff. Hell of a talent, and he’s only 25.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62339
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by Radbird »

redbirdjazzz wrote: ↑
September 26 20, 3:26 pm
Radbird wrote: ↑
September 25 20, 4:29 pm
Really enjoyed that, jazzz.
I’m really enjoying his stuff. Hell of a talent, and he’s only 25.
Been listening the last couple of days. He’s fantastic. Love the Imaginary Appalachia album.

User avatar
redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4921
Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Radbird wrote: ↑
September 30 20, 7:43 am
redbirdjazzz wrote: ↑
September 26 20, 3:26 pm
Radbird wrote: ↑
September 25 20, 4:29 pm
Really enjoyed that, jazzz.
I’m really enjoying his stuff. Hell of a talent, and he’s only 25.
Been listening the last couple of days. He’s fantastic. Love the Imaginary Appalachia album.
Awesome! Yeah, that one's really good.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69906
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by CardsofSTL »


User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist

Post by The Third Man »

A Buzzfeed writer (with whom I'm unfamiliar, but whom I will now be following) decided to tackle one of my all-time favorite albums - Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball - in relation to the pandemic, here.

Emmylou may be my favorite artist. I mostly favor depressive, noisy, abrasive music - my library is littered with no-wave, hardcore, grindcore, punk and post-punk, etc. etc. - and yet she remains my all-time most-listened-to artist (at least, according to last.fm, with which I've tracked my listening habits for about a decade now, though to be sure a more thorough accounting of my youth would skyrocket Tupac and Eminem to the top ranks). I can still tell you the very time and place I first heard, and was utterly arrested by, her voice, waiting for a bus one day outside of Strang Hall on KU's campus listening to GP by Gram Parson (who came to my attention by way of his friendship with Keith Richards, as I was and am a huge huge huge Stones fan). The second track, "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning," is a duet between the two, and when Emmylou's solo voice came through clear as a church bell on the second verse, I swear to god my heart stopped right in its track. I have never been so entranced by another human voice. I immediately devoured just about everything she ever recorded. I drove three hours to Salina KS to sit second-row center in a concert at which I was the youngest person in attendance by three decades. (She chit-chatted about her love of baseball in-between songs, the absolute angel, and even mentioned having had an old-school, pager-like device which updated her on baseball scores live as she performed concerts in the eighties!)

I still regret, to this day, not scrounging up the money to fly to Nashville a few years ago to see her perform Wrecking Ball in its entirety. I cherish that Salina concert to this day, and she performed several of my favorites, but gosh, to hear her crystalline voice soar on "Where Will I Be," or "Sweet Old World," or "Blackbird," is a lost opportunity I still hope someday to recapture. I did, at least, get to hear her performances of "One of These Days," "Boulder to Birmingham," et al. A true angel.

Post Reply