Pandemic Blues Playlist
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69906
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38623
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38623
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
- redbirdjazzz
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4921
- Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Online
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62339
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist
Really enjoyed that, jazzz.
- redbirdjazzz
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4921
- Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Online
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62339
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist
Been listening the last couple of days. He’s fantastic. Love the Imaginary Appalachia album.redbirdjazzz wrote: ↑September 26 20, 3:26 pmI’m really enjoying his stuff. Hell of a talent, and he’s only 25.
- redbirdjazzz
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4921
- Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist
Awesome! Yeah, that one's really good.Radbird wrote: ↑September 30 20, 7:43 amBeen listening the last couple of days. He’s fantastic. Love the Imaginary Appalachia album.redbirdjazzz wrote: ↑September 26 20, 3:26 pmI’m really enjoying his stuff. Hell of a talent, and he’s only 25.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69906
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
- The Third Man
- It rubs the lotion on its skin.
- Posts: 8935
- Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm
Re: Pandemic Blues Playlist
A Buzzfeed writer (with whom I'm unfamiliar, but whom I will now be following) decided to tackle one of my all-time favorite albums - Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball - in relation to the pandemic, here.
Emmylou may be my favorite artist. I mostly favor depressive, noisy, abrasive music - my library is littered with no-wave, hardcore, grindcore, punk and post-punk, etc. etc. - and yet she remains my all-time most-listened-to artist (at least, according to last.fm, with which I've tracked my listening habits for about a decade now, though to be sure a more thorough accounting of my youth would skyrocket Tupac and Eminem to the top ranks). I can still tell you the very time and place I first heard, and was utterly arrested by, her voice, waiting for a bus one day outside of Strang Hall on KU's campus listening to GP by Gram Parson (who came to my attention by way of his friendship with Keith Richards, as I was and am a huge huge huge Stones fan). The second track, "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning," is a duet between the two, and when Emmylou's solo voice came through clear as a church bell on the second verse, I swear to god my heart stopped right in its track. I have never been so entranced by another human voice. I immediately devoured just about everything she ever recorded. I drove three hours to Salina KS to sit second-row center in a concert at which I was the youngest person in attendance by three decades. (She chit-chatted about her love of baseball in-between songs, the absolute angel, and even mentioned having had an old-school, pager-like device which updated her on baseball scores live as she performed concerts in the eighties!)
I still regret, to this day, not scrounging up the money to fly to Nashville a few years ago to see her perform Wrecking Ball in its entirety. I cherish that Salina concert to this day, and she performed several of my favorites, but gosh, to hear her crystalline voice soar on "Where Will I Be," or "Sweet Old World," or "Blackbird," is a lost opportunity I still hope someday to recapture. I did, at least, get to hear her performances of "One of These Days," "Boulder to Birmingham," et al. A true angel.
Emmylou may be my favorite artist. I mostly favor depressive, noisy, abrasive music - my library is littered with no-wave, hardcore, grindcore, punk and post-punk, etc. etc. - and yet she remains my all-time most-listened-to artist (at least, according to last.fm, with which I've tracked my listening habits for about a decade now, though to be sure a more thorough accounting of my youth would skyrocket Tupac and Eminem to the top ranks). I can still tell you the very time and place I first heard, and was utterly arrested by, her voice, waiting for a bus one day outside of Strang Hall on KU's campus listening to GP by Gram Parson (who came to my attention by way of his friendship with Keith Richards, as I was and am a huge huge huge Stones fan). The second track, "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning," is a duet between the two, and when Emmylou's solo voice came through clear as a church bell on the second verse, I swear to god my heart stopped right in its track. I have never been so entranced by another human voice. I immediately devoured just about everything she ever recorded. I drove three hours to Salina KS to sit second-row center in a concert at which I was the youngest person in attendance by three decades. (She chit-chatted about her love of baseball in-between songs, the absolute angel, and even mentioned having had an old-school, pager-like device which updated her on baseball scores live as she performed concerts in the eighties!)
I still regret, to this day, not scrounging up the money to fly to Nashville a few years ago to see her perform Wrecking Ball in its entirety. I cherish that Salina concert to this day, and she performed several of my favorites, but gosh, to hear her crystalline voice soar on "Where Will I Be," or "Sweet Old World," or "Blackbird," is a lost opportunity I still hope someday to recapture. I did, at least, get to hear her performances of "One of These Days," "Boulder to Birmingham," et al. A true angel.



