Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
- Tambourine Man
- accepts no jimitators
- Posts: 11413
- Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
- Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy
Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
Let's kick this cage fight off with...
1) Led Zeppelin - They've got it all. Everything a rock band should bring to the table is present. Yet, I find them hokey, despite being so tremendously talented. The lyrics can get precious.
2) Tom Petty - Very easy pick for me. The weakest link in the Traveling Wilburys does not impress me one bit. Bad voice, boring songs, bad haircut...
3) The Doors - Okay, okay, this is kind of a gimme pick. A lot of people don't like them. I didn't like them before it was trendy to not like them, so I'm staking my claim.
Extra Credit: Nirvana's studio albums. I can revisit Unplugged endlessly, but the only time I hear them electric anymore is when they come on the oldies station.
1) Led Zeppelin - They've got it all. Everything a rock band should bring to the table is present. Yet, I find them hokey, despite being so tremendously talented. The lyrics can get precious.
2) Tom Petty - Very easy pick for me. The weakest link in the Traveling Wilburys does not impress me one bit. Bad voice, boring songs, bad haircut...
3) The Doors - Okay, okay, this is kind of a gimme pick. A lot of people don't like them. I didn't like them before it was trendy to not like them, so I'm staking my claim.
Extra Credit: Nirvana's studio albums. I can revisit Unplugged endlessly, but the only time I hear them electric anymore is when they come on the oldies station.
- TGantz
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
- Posts: 6698
- Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
- Location: The Lou
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
1) Nirvana- Overplayed and depressing. Instant radio change.
2) The Beatles- Overexposed, overrated. They're obviously great, but my God am I sick of hearing about them.
3) Prince- I respect his guitar playing abilities, dear Lord are his songs awful to listen to.
Extra credit- Radiohead. It is also one of my favorite bands. But any Radiohead song that people know, which is usually just Creep, High and Dry, or Fake Plastic Trees are pretty awful.
2) The Beatles- Overexposed, overrated. They're obviously great, but my God am I sick of hearing about them.
3) Prince- I respect his guitar playing abilities, dear Lord are his songs awful to listen to.
Extra credit- Radiohead. It is also one of my favorite bands. But any Radiohead song that people know, which is usually just Creep, High and Dry, or Fake Plastic Trees are pretty awful.
-
Superorganism
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 1021
- Joined: October 21 20, 8:13 am
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
Agree on The Beatles and Prince. I’ve tried listening to a lot of Prince records. I don’t get it, and I really want to. Unfortunately the genre is bad and hasn’t aged well. The songs sound cheap. The Beatles are so influential and stuff but their music does nothing for me. Probably because there’s been better versions of their music, since them.
Lou Reed. “He was a city minstrel!” Was he? Learn how to [expletive] sing.
I feel like the Foo Fighters are destined to make this list. They have a handful of good songs. They’re overrated though and for whatever reason they are media darlings. Probably because Grohl is a really nice guy.
Overall, I think taste makers are a little too obsessed with the 60s/70s and grade most of that music on a curve.
To bring some positivity to the conversation, I think the Beach Boys have aged phenomenally and do a lot for me.
Lou Reed. “He was a city minstrel!” Was he? Learn how to [expletive] sing.
I feel like the Foo Fighters are destined to make this list. They have a handful of good songs. They’re overrated though and for whatever reason they are media darlings. Probably because Grohl is a really nice guy.
Overall, I think taste makers are a little too obsessed with the 60s/70s and grade most of that music on a curve.
To bring some positivity to the conversation, I think the Beach Boys have aged phenomenally and do a lot for me.
- TGantz
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
- Posts: 6698
- Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
- Location: The Lou
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
Beach boys are extremely talented but I think are a little inaccessible because of the unique genre. I can't listen to the Beach Boys driving through Midwest greenery. It doesn't fit well.Superorganism wrote: ↑March 10 22, 6:49 amAgree on The Beatles and Prince. I’ve tried listening to a lot of Prince records. I don’t get it, and I really want to. Unfortunately the genre is bad and hasn’t aged well. The songs sound cheap. The Beatles are so influential and stuff but their music does nothing for me. Probably because there’s been better versions of their music, since them.
Lou Reed. “He was a city minstrel!” Was he? Learn how to [expletive] sing.
I feel like the Foo Fighters are destined to make this list. They have a handful of good songs. They’re overrated though and for whatever reason they are media darlings. Probably because Grohl is a really nice guy.
Overall, I think taste makers are a little too obsessed with the 60s/70s and grade most of that music on a curve.
To bring some positivity to the conversation, I think the Beach Boys have aged phenomenally and do a lot for me.
The Foo Fighters are overrated and most of their songs sound the same, but their good songs are very good.
We should make an underrated bands thread so that we can talk about The Black Keys and Gary Clark Jr.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43290
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
Sir, we shall duel in the village square at high noon because of these takes.TGantz wrote: ↑March 10 22, 6:29 am1) Nirvana- Overplayed and depressing. Instant radio change.
2) The Beatles- Overexposed, overrated. They're obviously great, but my God am I sick of hearing about them.
3) Prince- I respect his guitar playing abilities, dear Lord are his songs awful to listen to.
Extra credit- Radiohead. It is also one of my favorite bands. But any Radiohead song that people know, which is usually just Creep, High and Dry, or Fake Plastic Trees are pretty awful.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43290
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
It's always been Tom Waits for me. Yes, I'm certain his lyrics are deep and expose the human condition etc etc. But I can get that from a novel without having to hear music and a voice that are unlistenable.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
the ukraine stuff reminded me of his song "road to peace". it came out in mid 2000s so its more about middle east conflict but it seems relatable. i almost posted it but this place is turning kinda crappy so why bother. i would recommend having a lyrics sheet not because his voice is unlistenable but it makes it easier to follow the story of the lyrics as he is referencing real life bombings and such that have happened in the region, it is like a 7 min song.
i like tom waits though. 2:19, big in japan, sea of love, virgina avenue, great [expletive]. he's worked with primus, hell he's the voice of tommy the cat. he's got a song called army ants which is just him speaking about different types of bugs over "creepy" music. hilarious.
- TGantz
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
- Posts: 6698
- Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
- Location: The Lou
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
You better Get Back before I drive my Little Red Corvette over to your Heart Shaped Box and chuck it in a Strawberry Field While your Guitar Gently Weeps.heyzeus wrote: ↑March 10 22, 9:48 amSir, we shall duel in the village square at high noon because of these takes.TGantz wrote: ↑March 10 22, 6:29 am1) Nirvana- Overplayed and depressing. Instant radio change.
2) The Beatles- Overexposed, overrated. They're obviously great, but my God am I sick of hearing about them.
3) Prince- I respect his guitar playing abilities, dear Lord are his songs awful to listen to.
Extra credit- Radiohead. It is also one of my favorite bands. But any Radiohead song that people know, which is usually just Creep, High and Dry, or Fake Plastic Trees are pretty awful.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
-
Superorganism
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 1021
- Joined: October 21 20, 8:13 am
Re: Legendary Bands/Artists You Just Don't Get? They Do Nothing For You
Underrated choice. He has not made a “good“ album in like 15 years. how “good“ were those initial albums and how much of it was novelty? I don’t think anybody would argue that he isnt great at rapping. And how groundbreaking he was in some respects.
But the music itself is just, idk. Not a huge fan


