Windows 10
-
MrSaigon
Windows 10
Is anyone in it yet?
Windows 8 was horrific. I installed a program to where I never (except sometimes when I'd open a file without having set up the properties) see that stupid tablet screen.
I'll probably wait until this weekend to hop on board.
Windows 8 was horrific. I installed a program to where I never (except sometimes when I'd open a file without having set up the properties) see that stupid tablet screen.
I'll probably wait until this weekend to hop on board.
- Joe Shlabotnik
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 24271
- Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
- Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
- Contact:
Re: Windows 10
My buddy just loaded it on his home PC last night and initial review was positive. Two weeks ago I ordered a Win 7 laptop before you couldn't any longer so I have put off a Windows upgrade for another couple of years.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Windows 10
I will hopefully get it sometime soon. I know there are ways to jump in line but I just haven't taken the time to do it.
Also, I don't see the stupid little icon that I'm supposed to if I've registered for the upgrade. The first thing I saw when I turned the computer on after it was delivered was the question as to whether I wanted to register and I'm 99% sure I said yes... but I had been drinking so maybe I did something wrong. I guess I need to find out if I've actually reserved a copy or not. I read a first impression review on CNet where the guy installed it on the exact same 2 in 1 that I have so I know my device is eligible!
Also, I don't see the stupid little icon that I'm supposed to if I've registered for the upgrade. The first thing I saw when I turned the computer on after it was delivered was the question as to whether I wanted to register and I'm 99% sure I said yes... but I had been drinking so maybe I did something wrong. I guess I need to find out if I've actually reserved a copy or not. I read a first impression review on CNet where the guy installed it on the exact same 2 in 1 that I have so I know my device is eligible!
- Swirls
- gone fission
- Posts: 8299
- Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
- Location: South Korea
Re: Windows 10
I loaded it last night. So far so good. I was running Windows 7, so I'm probably going to regret it.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Windows 10
I got my upgrade over the weekend on my 2-1 tablet and I only had to put up with Windows 8.1 for a week (and was starting to get used to it) but I'm definitely liking 10 much better. I will have to dig into it more though.
I will say that the upgrade process was extremely easy and worked great for me. I didn't lose anything at all and everything was right where I left it before after it finished. The only issue I had was that the touchscreen wasn't working after the upgrade but a quick restart fixed that and it has been going great since.
I spent most of yesterday trying to get rid of some garbage that I accidentally installed or allowed to. It has been awhile since I've had a personal Windows machine and I forgot how careful you have to be. Like an idiot I saw something pop up indicating it needed to update my Flash and I said 'duh, OK.' As soon as I gave it permission, I realized I had messed up but it was too late. It installed all kinds of other garbage and was preventing me from downloading proper anti-malware software for a bit until I got things straightened out. Thankfully I used to be very good at cleaning up other people's computers (I used to be smart enough to avoid trouble) and it slowly came back to me. I've been too spoiled by all the protections on our work computers since my last laptop died and paid the price yesterday!
I will say that the upgrade process was extremely easy and worked great for me. I didn't lose anything at all and everything was right where I left it before after it finished. The only issue I had was that the touchscreen wasn't working after the upgrade but a quick restart fixed that and it has been going great since.
I spent most of yesterday trying to get rid of some garbage that I accidentally installed or allowed to. It has been awhile since I've had a personal Windows machine and I forgot how careful you have to be. Like an idiot I saw something pop up indicating it needed to update my Flash and I said 'duh, OK.' As soon as I gave it permission, I realized I had messed up but it was too late. It installed all kinds of other garbage and was preventing me from downloading proper anti-malware software for a bit until I got things straightened out. Thankfully I used to be very good at cleaning up other people's computers (I used to be smart enough to avoid trouble) and it slowly came back to me. I've been too spoiled by all the protections on our work computers since my last laptop died and paid the price yesterday!
-
Vidor
- You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™
- Posts: 22956
- Joined: June 10 10, 7:50 pm
Re: Windows 10
Updated my home computer to windows 10 from windows 7.
Sweet Jesus Tapdancing Christ, it is running super slow.
Sweet Jesus Tapdancing Christ, it is running super slow.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Windows 10
I went from 8 to 10. I had 8 dialed in. Initial results with 10 were pretty rough. My wifi adapter absolutely refused to connect to my home wifi. Every other device would connect with no problems, but not my laptop. Of course, it's all new, so there was no help online for that issue. Intel released a new driver yesterday. I was able to install that and no problems since. But, that was 2 straight days of torture to try and make it work.
Biggest issue I see with Windows 10 on my machine is text scaling on some programs. You have to go in to the exe file for individual programs and adjust the compatibility settings to get the scaling right so the program doesn't look like crap. That's been annoying, but not terrible.
Oh, and I'm probably the only person in the world who adjusted my Windows 10 to get back to the "app screen" when you hit the start button. On Windows 8 I had all my programs and apps organized into categories and could easily find anything. The old-fashioned start menu is terrible. Much easier to separate the stuff you use out from it and organize it by usage, imo.
Biggest issue I see with Windows 10 on my machine is text scaling on some programs. You have to go in to the exe file for individual programs and adjust the compatibility settings to get the scaling right so the program doesn't look like crap. That's been annoying, but not terrible.
Oh, and I'm probably the only person in the world who adjusted my Windows 10 to get back to the "app screen" when you hit the start button. On Windows 8 I had all my programs and apps organized into categories and could easily find anything. The old-fashioned start menu is terrible. Much easier to separate the stuff you use out from it and organize it by usage, imo.
- pioneer98
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22007
- Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
- Location: High A Minors
Re: Windows 10
On my work computer I created a couple desktop widgets that have hyperlinks to pages and files that I use all the time. This has decluttered my desktop immensely, so I don't have a million shortcuts all over the place. Is there anything that will let me do something like this in Windows 10?
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Windows 10
No idea.pioneer98 wrote:On my work computer I created a couple desktop widgets that have hyperlinks to pages and files that I use all the time. This has decluttered my desktop immensely, so I don't have a million shortcuts all over the place. Is there anything that will let me do something like this in Windows 10?
But, that did remind me that they took off the "Recent Files" to a Quick Access section on Explorer. I used that thing all the time. The one on Windows 8 was better. Windows 10 gives me recently used files and frequently used folders, but it won't give me recently used folders. And that's what I really need. I miss that.
-
Vidor
- You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™
- Posts: 22956
- Joined: June 10 10, 7:50 pm
Re: Windows 10
So slow I wish I hadn't done it, actually.
