U.S. Open
- lazypenguin
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 405
- Joined: February 28 07, 2:39 pm
- Location: Southern California
- Contact:
U.S. Open
Is anyone else watching this? It's going to be a great finish.
Cabrera is in the lead by 2. Furyk has birdied his last 3. Furyk is 2 back and Tiger is 3 (he just missed like a 5 footer for birdie)
LP
Cabrera is in the lead by 2. Furyk has birdied his last 3. Furyk is 2 back and Tiger is 3 (he just missed like a 5 footer for birdie)
LP
- lazypenguin
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 405
- Joined: February 28 07, 2:39 pm
- Location: Southern California
- Contact:
Re: U.S. Open
Cabrera is in at +5, Furyk is on 18 1 back, Tiger has 3 left at 1 back.
LP
LP
- Secret Weapon
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8386
- Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
- Location: CoMo
Re: U.S. Open
has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: U.S. Open
I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
- Mary1966
- President of the Ponson Fan Club
- Posts: 11288
- Joined: April 18 06, 10:56 pm
- Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: U.S. Open
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19275161/
OAKMONT, Pa. - Unlikely champion. Familiar scenario.
Angel Cabrera hit all the right shots to hold off Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk by a stroke on a Sunday of survival at the U.S. Open, shooting a 1-under-par 69 at brutal Oakmont and giving Argentina its first major championship in 40 years.
And for the second straight major, Woods played in the final group and couldn’t deliver in the clutch.
Woods squandered birdie chances with his wedge and his putter, and Furyk paid for a risky choice of driver on the 306-yard 17th hole and fell out of the lead with a bogey.
That left Cabrera as the winner, and yes, he signed for the right score.
The only other Argentine to win a major was Roberto de Vicenzo in the 1967 British Open at Hoylake. He was equally famous for signing for the wrong score a year later at the Masters, keeping him out of a playoff.
“It is very difficult to describe at the moment,” an elated Cabrera said. “Probably tomorrow, when I wake up with this trophy beside me, I will realize I won the U.S. Open.”
OAKMONT, Pa. - Unlikely champion. Familiar scenario.
Angel Cabrera hit all the right shots to hold off Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk by a stroke on a Sunday of survival at the U.S. Open, shooting a 1-under-par 69 at brutal Oakmont and giving Argentina its first major championship in 40 years.
And for the second straight major, Woods played in the final group and couldn’t deliver in the clutch.
Woods squandered birdie chances with his wedge and his putter, and Furyk paid for a risky choice of driver on the 306-yard 17th hole and fell out of the lead with a bogey.
That left Cabrera as the winner, and yes, he signed for the right score.
The only other Argentine to win a major was Roberto de Vicenzo in the 1967 British Open at Hoylake. He was equally famous for signing for the wrong score a year later at the Masters, keeping him out of a playoff.
“It is very difficult to describe at the moment,” an elated Cabrera said. “Probably tomorrow, when I wake up with this trophy beside me, I will realize I won the U.S. Open.”
- stretch
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3966
- Joined: May 8 06, 8:26 pm
- Location: Joplin, MO
Re: U.S. Open
That was pretty entertaining.
Tiger and Furyk both had their chances but couldn't deliver.
Tiger and Furyk both had their chances but couldn't deliver.
- Secret Weapon
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8386
- Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
- Location: CoMo
Re: U.S. Open
he's had his chances...Socnorb11 wrote:I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
But all anybody will remember, at least for now, is that in majors when he hasn't held the 54-hole lead, he's 0-for-29. With the third-round lead, he's 12-for-12.
Yeah, he can't explain it, either.
"I haven't gotten it done," he said. "I have put myself there and haven't gotten it done."
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: U.S. Open
whyhellothere wrote:he's had his chances...Socnorb11 wrote:I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
But all anybody will remember, at least for now, is that in majors when he hasn't held the 54-hole lead, he's 0-for-29. With the third-round lead, he's 12-for-12.
Yeah, he can't explain it, either.
"I haven't gotten it done," he said. "I have put myself there and haven't gotten it done."
How many times has he been within striking distance, though? I mean, how many player DO have a good record when they're not leading after 54 holes in a major? I'm not sure that's a knock on Tiger.
- stretch
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3966
- Joined: May 8 06, 8:26 pm
- Location: Joplin, MO
Re: U.S. Open
He's just trying to catch Nicklaus' record of finishing 2nd in 19 majors.
I think he has finished 2nd 4 times now. He is way behind the pace on that one.
I think he has finished 2nd 4 times now. He is way behind the pace on that one.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: U.S. Open
heh...stretch wrote:He's just trying to catch Nicklaus' record of finishing 2nd in 19 majors.![]()
I think he has finished 2nd 4 times now. He is way behind the pace on that one.
im sure he doesn't mind his other records though...(or soon to be)


