Pitching stat
-
Izzyman
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 208
- Joined: August 21 06, 4:22 pm
- Location: MO.
Pitching stat
I have always wanted to envent a pitching statistic that took into account both IP and ERA to try and see the overall value of a pitcher and I think I have a pretty good idea. You would multiply IP by the amount over or under the league average the pitchers ERA was. For example if a pitcher pitched 200 innings and had an ERA .25 below the league average his score would be 200 X .25= 50. If a reliever went 60 IP and 1.00 plus his score would be 6o.
Are there any stats that are very similar to this that I'm forgeting? If not what do you think?
Are there any stats that are very similar to this that I'm forgeting? If not what do you think?
-
stldogget05
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 909
- Joined: April 25 06, 10:41 pm
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Like longhorn said, you pretty much described VORP.
The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!
But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.
Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.
Anyone know what this is called?
The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!
But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.
Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.
Anyone know what this is called?
-
Izzyman
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 208
- Joined: August 21 06, 4:22 pm
- Location: MO.
I don't know what its called but it makes sense.jim wrote:Like longhorn said, you pretty much described VORP.
The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!
But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.
Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.
Anyone know what this is called?
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
I think so. It also dings the reliever who comes in with a guy on 1st and 2 outs and allows the run. The run expectancy with that is about .25, so if he allows the run to score he gets dinged .75ER for him, with the other .25 going to the guy that put him on.Izzyman wrote:I don't know what its called but it makes sense.jim wrote:Like longhorn said, you pretty much described VORP.
The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!
But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.
Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.
Anyone know what this is called?
It's silly when a reliever comes in, gives up a triple, then gets the next guy out and has a 0 in his stat line.
- Asmodai
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: February 9 07, 7:37 pm
fair era.jim wrote:Like longhorn said, you pretty much described VORP.
The fairly uncommon stat that I've always thought should gain more acceptance is, shoot I can't remember the name!
But it goes like this, say your starter pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 earned run. He loads the bases to start the 7th, and is relieved. The reliever performs acrobatics and gets out without a run.
Traditionally you would charge the starter 1 ER in 6 IP, with this stat you would charge him about 3.4 ER in 6IP. You take the expected amount of runs allowed in a situation (about 2.4 with the bases loaded and 0 outs) and charge that to the guy who put them on. The reliever gets charged -2.4 runs, because he actually allowed 0 of those to come in. So you could actually have a negative value for this stat.
Anyone know what this is called?


