OBP vs. Slugging
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
OBP vs. Slugging
We all know that combined, it is the holiest of holy stats -- but which do you think is more important -- home runs and doubles -- or walks, walks and more walks?
I've long been an OBP guy, and it's pretty simple to figure out why. Getting on base = scoring runs. I don't think it's four times as important as Bill James theorized and was printed in "Moneyball."
WHAT SAYETH YOU?!
I've long been an OBP guy, and it's pretty simple to figure out why. Getting on base = scoring runs. I don't think it's four times as important as Bill James theorized and was printed in "Moneyball."
WHAT SAYETH YOU?!
-
DynamicDynamite
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 806
- Joined: December 11 06, 9:23 pm
- skmsw
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6340
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
- Location: The Hub
Lineups are looped, so over the course of a season, where you hit does not matter too much -- a handful of runs over 162 games.
OBP and SLG are pretty heavily inter-related; OBP is important because when you use up your outs the game is over. SLG is important because extra base hits are the most efficient way to score.
But to some extent, SLG has OBP already built into it, so it already incorporates both power and not making outs, in a crude way. It is hard to have a really high SLG without also having a serviceable OBP.
And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
OBP and SLG are pretty heavily inter-related; OBP is important because when you use up your outs the game is over. SLG is important because extra base hits are the most efficient way to score.
But to some extent, SLG has OBP already built into it, so it already incorporates both power and not making outs, in a crude way. It is hard to have a really high SLG without also having a serviceable OBP.
And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
- The Third Man
- It rubs the lotion on its skin.
- Posts: 8935
- Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm
Out of curiosity, do you know the comparison between the RS correlation with IsoP? Since, like you said, SLG already does incorporate elements of OBP.But to some extent, SLG has OBP already built into it, so it already incorporates both power and not making outs, in a crude way. It is hard to have a really high SLG without also having a serviceable OBP.
And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
I'm glad you mentioned this because I meant to ask you before. I have read that 1.8*OBP+SLG correlates most highly with run scoring. Which would make it seem like OBP is the more important component.skmsw wrote:And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
I feel like I am missing something here, what is it?
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Ha, I've read that, too. I believe it's called "Gross Production Average."haltz wrote:I'm glad you mentioned this because I meant to ask you before. I have read that 1.8*OBP+SLG correlates most highly with run scoring. Which would make it seem like OBP is the more important component.skmsw wrote:And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
I feel like I am missing something here, what is it?
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Yeah Fungoes uses it on their blog a lot. Somewhere on Tango's site he goes pretty in-depth about the 1.8 part, without the part about dividing by four to get the BA-like stat.GatewaySnayke wrote:Ha, I've read that, too. I believe it's called "Gross Production Average."haltz wrote:I'm glad you mentioned this because I meant to ask you before. I have read that 1.8*OBP+SLG correlates most highly with run scoring. Which would make it seem like OBP is the more important component.skmsw wrote:And statistically, SLG correlates more closely to runscoring than OBP does (of course, OPS correlates more closely than either alone).
I feel like I am missing something here, what is it?
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Hardball Times includes GPA in their player stats.






