Ask GRB
- Joe Shlabotnik
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 24273
- Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
- Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
- Contact:
Re: Ask GRB
I umpire a lot and those hats get rank very quickly. I fill up a sink with warm water, add a little detergent, and agitate the hats in there for a minute or two. Takes the gunk right out. Then let it sit for day.
- Famous Mortimer
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3959
- Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
- Location: Cherokee
Re: Ask GRB
Anyone know much about license plates?
I have a hankering for a set of the nice old 80s / 90s design:

but as I can't find them to buy, they're not on DMV's site as an option, I guess I'm out of luck. This site - https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/historic-plates.html - seems to indicate I could keep historic plates if my car was also old, but it's not. I'm just a goof who wants some old plates. Anyone know if this can be done?
I have a hankering for a set of the nice old 80s / 90s design:

but as I can't find them to buy, they're not on DMV's site as an option, I guess I'm out of luck. This site - https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/historic-plates.html - seems to indicate I could keep historic plates if my car was also old, but it's not. I'm just a goof who wants some old plates. Anyone know if this can be done?
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11720
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Ask GRB
Antique shops? Flea markets? Nostalgic restaurants that are going out of business?
- Famous Mortimer
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3959
- Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
- Location: Cherokee
Re: Ask GRB
I meant, to put on my car and use. I see them in antique places all the time. But given I don't remember the last time I saw a set of them in the wild, I'm guessing it's not legal to put them on my 2014 Kia.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Ask GRB
Ahhhhhh, nostalgia. I miss these old simple plate designs. The custom plates back that were black with yellow lettering. I loved that the red or black plates made it SUPER easy to spot a cop car in the wild (white plates).Famous Mortimer wrote: ↑August 16 21, 8:56 amAnyone know much about license plates?
I have a hankering for a set of the nice old 80s / 90s design:
but as I can't find them to buy, they're not on DMV's site as an option, I guess I'm out of luck. This site - https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/historic-plates.html - seems to indicate I could keep historic plates if my car was also old, but it's not. I'm just a goof who wants some old plates. Anyone know if this can be done?
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Ask GRB
No, you're at the mercy of what the DMV has available. You can see all the plate designs at the DMV website I think.Famous Mortimer wrote: ↑August 16 21, 10:23 amI meant, to put on my car and use. I see them in antique places all the time. But given I don't remember the last time I saw a set of them in the wild, I'm guessing it's not legal to put them on my 2014 Kia.
-
Arthur Dent
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12536
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
- Location: Austin
Re: Ask GRB
My employer straight up defrauded us the other day. People are white hot angry, but while they are happy to openly badmouth our CEO in conversation and some will quit when they find another job, basically no one will even consider the idea that we should engage in any real protest. We 100% accept that we have no freedom in our work lives and any attempts to oppose our masters will most likely only end up hurting ourselves. Don’t know that this is even wrong.
The question is: should I fall into a depression like I did at my last job or search for a new master?
The question is: should I fall into a depression like I did at my last job or search for a new master?
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Ask GRB
this is from the "new" job you took like a year or so ago? i remember you having (possible) concerns but it seemed like after you did your analysis it was worth the risk. sorry to hear about this. if it feels toxic, i say start looking.
- Popeye_Card
- GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
- Posts: 31038
- Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Re: Ask GRB
I mean, if they straight-up defrauded their employees, then the only correct choice is to find a new employer.Arthur Dent wrote: ↑August 16 21, 11:47 amMy employer straight up defrauded us the other day. People are white hot angry, but while they are happy to openly badmouth our CEO in conversation and some will quit when they find another job, basically no one will even consider the idea that we should engage in any real protest. We 100% accept that we have no freedom in our work lives and any attempts to oppose our masters will most likely only end up hurting ourselves. Don’t know that this is even wrong.
The question is: should I fall into a depression like I did at my last job or search for a new master?
-
Arthur Dent
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12536
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
- Location: Austin
Re: Ask GRB
I mean that’s what I’ll probably do. If no resistance is possible, I’d like to just quit immediately, but I’d also like to be able to collect unemployment and am worried that getting a job is easier when you already have one.
Finding the emotional energy to do a sufficiently competent job to not get fired by a criminal leadership is incredibly daunting as is accepting that the CEO will get away with it with the minor irritation of replacing a few people with others whose lives he will happily damage.
Finding the emotional energy to do a sufficiently competent job to not get fired by a criminal leadership is incredibly daunting as is accepting that the CEO will get away with it with the minor irritation of replacing a few people with others whose lives he will happily damage.


