The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5885
Joined: May 13 09, 2:55 pm

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Cheddar Tom »

IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
Doing brisket tomorrow as well.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

How do you all do brisket? Temp and time? Rub? Etc?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Jocephus »

ask wong about rubbing meat

/combo thread

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18727
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

I've heard brisket a can be challenging (I've never tried to do one). I've done ribs, turkeys, brats, pork butts & have had different results (because of trying different methods/rubs)...but typically any meat you smoke and take your time w/ should turn out decent....unless it gets completely dried out.

I use an electronic meat thermometer that allows me to set it to a temp so when the meat reaches the desired temp I can pull it.

I was a low and slow guy to start but I've found that cooking at more of a medium heat (250-300) when allowing the smoke to penetrate, then foiling the meat to get right below the desired temp & throwing it back on for a short period to get a good crust after foiling and letting it rest is the method I've went to most often (except for the turkey, I don't wrap those in foil).

This website can be pretty helpful & has some good tips. It was created by a guy from STL (he posted on the STL food forum, and still might?)

The site is http://www.grillinfools.com

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12893
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by IMADreamer »

My brisket rub is:
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp peppercorn
1 tbsp Riley's all purpose seasoning
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Mix it up real good.
On your brisket you may have to trim the fat a bit. I like to leave about a 1/4 of inch or so.

Get the smoker to 225. I like the low and slow method. I know some guys cook it up to 250 or more but I prefer the lower temp.

Cook the brisket 4 hours. hit it with some apple juice every hour. Pull it out and wrap it with foil. Stick it in for another four. That should do it.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by haltz »

Typically I cook brisket for about 10 hours, let it rest, and then I have one of my drunken, idiot friends slice the whole [expletive] thing WITH THE GRAIN as soon as I turn my back.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18727
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

haltz wrote:Typically I cook brisket for about 10 hours, let it rest, and then I have one of my drunken, idiot friends slice the whole [expletive] thing WITH THE GRAIN as soon as I turn my back.
Lol....nuthin' like chewy brisket!

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18727
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

Cheddar Tom wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
Doing brisket tomorrow as well.
So how'd it turn out?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Cheddar Tom wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
Doing brisket tomorrow as well.
So how'd it turn out?
Yes. CT and Ima are [expletive] teases. All this talk and no pics or anything.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Doing something tomorrow. Gonna be a perfect day. Just don't know what.

Post Reply