Doing brisket tomorrow as well.IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
- Cheddar Tom
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5885
- Joined: May 13 09, 2:55 pm
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
How do you all do brisket? Temp and time? Rub? Etc?
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
ask wong about rubbing meat
/combo thread
/combo thread
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18727
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
I've heard brisket a can be challenging (I've never tried to do one). I've done ribs, turkeys, brats, pork butts & have had different results (because of trying different methods/rubs)...but typically any meat you smoke and take your time w/ should turn out decent....unless it gets completely dried out.
I use an electronic meat thermometer that allows me to set it to a temp so when the meat reaches the desired temp I can pull it.
I was a low and slow guy to start but I've found that cooking at more of a medium heat (250-300) when allowing the smoke to penetrate, then foiling the meat to get right below the desired temp & throwing it back on for a short period to get a good crust after foiling and letting it rest is the method I've went to most often (except for the turkey, I don't wrap those in foil).
This website can be pretty helpful & has some good tips. It was created by a guy from STL (he posted on the STL food forum, and still might?)
The site is http://www.grillinfools.com
I use an electronic meat thermometer that allows me to set it to a temp so when the meat reaches the desired temp I can pull it.
I was a low and slow guy to start but I've found that cooking at more of a medium heat (250-300) when allowing the smoke to penetrate, then foiling the meat to get right below the desired temp & throwing it back on for a short period to get a good crust after foiling and letting it rest is the method I've went to most often (except for the turkey, I don't wrap those in foil).
This website can be pretty helpful & has some good tips. It was created by a guy from STL (he posted on the STL food forum, and still might?)
The site is http://www.grillinfools.com
Online
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12893
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
My brisket rub is:
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp peppercorn
1 tbsp Riley's all purpose seasoning
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Mix it up real good.
On your brisket you may have to trim the fat a bit. I like to leave about a 1/4 of inch or so.
Get the smoker to 225. I like the low and slow method. I know some guys cook it up to 250 or more but I prefer the lower temp.
Cook the brisket 4 hours. hit it with some apple juice every hour. Pull it out and wrap it with foil. Stick it in for another four. That should do it.
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp peppercorn
1 tbsp Riley's all purpose seasoning
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Mix it up real good.
On your brisket you may have to trim the fat a bit. I like to leave about a 1/4 of inch or so.
Get the smoker to 225. I like the low and slow method. I know some guys cook it up to 250 or more but I prefer the lower temp.
Cook the brisket 4 hours. hit it with some apple juice every hour. Pull it out and wrap it with foil. Stick it in for another four. That should do it.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
Typically I cook brisket for about 10 hours, let it rest, and then I have one of my drunken, idiot friends slice the whole [expletive] thing WITH THE GRAIN as soon as I turn my back.
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18727
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
Lol....nuthin' like chewy brisket!haltz wrote:Typically I cook brisket for about 10 hours, let it rest, and then I have one of my drunken, idiot friends slice the whole [expletive] thing WITH THE GRAIN as soon as I turn my back.
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18727
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
So how'd it turn out?Cheddar Tom wrote:Doing brisket tomorrow as well.IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
Yes. CT and Ima are [expletive] teases. All this talk and no pics or anything.cardinalkarp wrote:So how'd it turn out?Cheddar Tom wrote:Doing brisket tomorrow as well.IMADreamer wrote:Weekends here. Whose BBQing this weekend? I got a brisket ready to go for tomorrow.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread
Doing something tomorrow. Gonna be a perfect day. Just don't know what.



