UPDATE: Cards Acquire Holliday, page 26
- Ace
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3781
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:36 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: UPDATE: Cards Close to Acquiring Holliday, page 18
Soooo, Wallace+Perez+Mortensen+Peterson+PTBNL = 3 wins this season?
- Ace
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3781
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:36 pm
- Location: St. Louis
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Matt Holliday & Willingham Thread (new: Holliday rumor 7/23)
Mortenson will never be a #3 pitcher. He is Thompson Jr.cards2468 wrote:I'm not a fan either. Walrus for Holliday+cash is still a tad excessive... throwing in a MLB ready SP that could be a #3 starter within a few years is definitely over-doing itSwingingbunt wrote:I know Morty is no Haren...but I don't like giving pitchers to Oakland. It makes my skin crawl.
- Swingingbunt
- All-Star
- Posts: 2904
- Joined: April 4 08, 9:49 am
- Location: Indianapolis
Re: UPDATE: Cards Close to Acquiring Holliday, page 18
Kurkjian reporting it's Holliday for Wallace, Peterson, and Mortenson as well. Color me unimpressed.
I don't like the three for one if Holliday is only going to be here two months.
I don't like the three for one if Holliday is only going to be here two months.
Last edited by Swingingbunt on July 24 09, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
- skmsw
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6340
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
- Location: The Hub
Re: UPDATE: Cards Close to Acquiring Holliday, page 18
Mortenson and Peterson are bodies. I have no problem tossing them into a deal for any impact player.
In a way, I am happier trading Wallace for Holliday than I would be for Halladay . . . not entirely happier, but in a way. A 29-year old everyday player, impact bat, good on bases, with bat, and in field, a guy you can re-sign to be part of your core for five years or more (or else get two premium draft picks) . . . verses a soon-to-be 33 year old pitcher who is probably the best in baseball right now but is a pitcher not an everyday player, and is 32 not 29, and is a much more dubious re-sign when his contract is up.
In a way, I am happier trading Wallace for Holliday than I would be for Halladay . . . not entirely happier, but in a way. A 29-year old everyday player, impact bat, good on bases, with bat, and in field, a guy you can re-sign to be part of your core for five years or more (or else get two premium draft picks) . . . verses a soon-to-be 33 year old pitcher who is probably the best in baseball right now but is a pitcher not an everyday player, and is 32 not 29, and is a much more dubious re-sign when his contract is up.
- cards2468
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 14745
- Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
- Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Matt Holliday & Willingham Thread (new: Holliday rumor 7/23)
Unlike Thompson, he actually has some nasty stuff, he potentially can be a #3 starter.AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Mortenson will never be a #3 pitcher. He is Thompson Jr.cards2468 wrote:I'm not a fan either. Walrus for Holliday+cash is still a tad excessive... throwing in a MLB ready SP that could be a #3 starter within a few years is definitely over-doing itSwingingbunt wrote:I know Morty is no Haren...but I don't like giving pitchers to Oakland. It makes my skin crawl.
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62346
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: UPDATE: Cards Close to Acquiring Holliday, page 18
Exactly what I'm hoping to hear if this is indeed a done deal.skmsw wrote:I would not mind that trade at all if it includes a 48-hour window to negotiate, or if the trade is announced something like "The Cardinals acquired Matt Holliday and announced that they've signed him to a four-year, $60mm contract extension with two option years."
- skmsw
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6340
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
- Location: The Hub
Re: Matt Holliday & Willingham Thread (new: Holliday rumor 7/23)
In my opinion he was a high-floor/low-ceiling Luhnow special who should never, ever have been a first round draft pick. I really doubt he'll ever be missed.cards2468 wrote:Unlike Thompson, he actually has some nasty stuff, he potentially can be a #3 starter.AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Mortenson will never be a #3 pitcher. He is Thompson Jr.cards2468 wrote:I'm not a fan either. Walrus for Holliday+cash is still a tad excessive... throwing in a MLB ready SP that could be a #3 starter within a few years is definitely over-doing itSwingingbunt wrote:I know Morty is no Haren...but I don't like giving pitchers to Oakland. It makes my skin crawl.
- clevername
- Bringer of FRBG
- Posts: 10380
- Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
- Location: Alabama
Re: UPDATE: Cards Close to Acquiring Holliday, page 18
unless we're talking potential 1 or 2, I don't like holding on to guys just because they could potentially be a 3 or less. They probably will end up being less, which in their case means 5th starter or bull pen fodder.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Matt Holliday & Willingham Thread (new: Holliday rumor 7/23)
I disagree. And nothing you can say will change my mind. I've seen them both pitch. And, in no way was Mortenson's stuff better than Thompson. Just my opinion though.cards2468 wrote:Unlike Thompson, he actually has some nasty stuff, he potentially can be a #3 starter.AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Mortenson will never be a #3 pitcher. He is Thompson Jr.cards2468 wrote:I'm not a fan either. Walrus for Holliday+cash is still a tad excessive... throwing in a MLB ready SP that could be a #3 starter within a few years is definitely over-doing itSwingingbunt wrote:I know Morty is no Haren...but I don't like giving pitchers to Oakland. It makes my skin crawl.




