Page 15 of 15

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: December 22 21, 1:25 pm
by BottenFieldofDreams
If you are of the opinion that the science is political here, I don't understand your complaints about the partisan nature of vaccination.

Are you upset about how libtarded the researchers, doctors, clinical participants, FDA, un-dead vaccinated, social scientists, pharmaceuticals (as someone who pays $300 a bottle for insulin, I can tell you they aren't commies), and greater medicine are?

Here are Eli Lilly's rather un-partisan political contributions. Project Warpspeed was the brainchild of the man who is, bizarrely, tragically, Republicanism. If you want to say this is a corrupt government thing looking to line the pockets of big Pharma (and I'd totally be on board, generally if not wrt vaccines here--they do this and it's disgusting), that's one thing--but partisan?

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: December 22 21, 1:37 pm
by Joe Shlabotnik
go birds wrote: ↑
December 22 21, 1:16 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 22 21, 12:35 pm
go birds wrote: ↑
December 21 21, 9:28 am
would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive
I won't assume where you're coming from here, but vaccines and the expertise of medical professionals wouldn't be 'partisan' if right wing goofballs and those exploiting them for fame and money didn't make this an entirely idiotic engagement in the culture wars because Jesus and bald eagles and Trump. And left wing goofballs with their crystals and essential oils weren't trying to increase the numbers in their MLM downline.

There are people abstaining for legitimate reasons too. God bless them. But I'll just listen to my doctor like I did when I learned I was Type I Diabetic. And when I couldn't get a boner. When my broken arm was set, I didn't question the intentions of the manufacturer of the IV cart. And even if Obama created the vaccine because Kenya is going to be given California, I'm far more likely to die if I don't get it. Doctors were far more trustworthy two years ago? What happened?

I'm disgusted by the partisan noise too. Lots of Pelosi in a dashiki moments coming from every side here. But it's noise. The science isn't political. Is there risk? Of course there is. But Viagra can give you a boner for over four hours. And Tylenol can poison your liver. People can make their own decisions, but if they can't get into a concert or go to work, it's on them, snowflakes. It's not about elephants or donkeys. It's about death and hospital capacity and thinking of others.
sorry but i disagree on the whole "the science isn't political" statement but that will just lead you calling me tinfoil hat and will be unproductive in the end.

omicron variant hospitalizations are down from delta variant. it's almost as is if the virus is burning out.
Who told you omicron hospitilizations are down? Why do you believe it? Why it and not the science that you deem political?

We could play this game all day long.

But I agree, it seems omicron trades spreadability for strength of infection. Over time, I'd think that is the way with all viruses that don't kill a species. But maybe I'm making a political statement there. You need to tell me.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: December 22 21, 4:13 pm
by Arthur Dent
If go birds really has recovered from a prior COVID infection, vaccination is not a huge benefit. COVID vaccine rules ought to accept prior infection as an acceptable way to comply, so long as it can be documented, though I don’t know that we have a good way of actually doing that setup.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: December 23 21, 11:13 am
by ghostrunner
go birds wrote: ↑
December 22 21, 1:16 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 22 21, 12:35 pm
go birds wrote: ↑
December 21 21, 9:28 am
would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive
I won't assume where you're coming from here, but vaccines and the expertise of medical professionals wouldn't be 'partisan' if right wing goofballs and those exploiting them for fame and money didn't make this an entirely idiotic engagement in the culture wars because Jesus and bald eagles and Trump. And left wing goofballs with their crystals and essential oils weren't trying to increase the numbers in their MLM downline.

There are people abstaining for legitimate reasons too. God bless them. But I'll just listen to my doctor like I did when I learned I was Type I Diabetic. And when I couldn't get a boner. When my broken arm was set, I didn't question the intentions of the manufacturer of the IV cart. And even if Obama created the vaccine because Kenya is going to be given California, I'm far more likely to die if I don't get it. Doctors were far more trustworthy two years ago? What happened?

I'm disgusted by the partisan noise too. Lots of Pelosi in a dashiki moments coming from every side here. But it's noise. The science isn't political. Is there risk? Of course there is. But Viagra can give you a boner for over four hours. And Tylenol can poison your liver. People can make their own decisions, but if they can't get into a concert or go to work, it's on them, snowflakes. It's not about elephants or donkeys. It's about death and hospital capacity and thinking of others.
sorry but i disagree on the whole "the science isn't political" statement but that will just lead you calling me tinfoil hat and will be unproductive in the end.

omicron variant hospitalizations are down from delta variant. it's almost as is if the virus is burning out.
Don’t think this is true in terms of raw numbers. Mostly because as Joe says it spreads easier. So while on average it seems that Omicron is less deadly, it’s infecting more people so *lower percentage of many more people* still means a lot of hospitalizations. More than Delta in some areas. Doesn’t help that some seem to interpret changing circumstances like this as inconsistency of message, which is really frustrating. Not saying you’re doing that.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: December 23 21, 12:31 pm
by G. Keenan
I find it interesting that some eschew the vaccines because they are "experimental" but will take therapies like monoclonal antibodies that are also experimental after actually getting infected. I bet we'll see the same with the brand new Pfizer and Merck pills. Unvaccinated people who end up in the hospital will be happy to take that experimental pill.

It's just a classic psychological dilemma humans do all the time. People would rather just let something bad happen to them by chance, than make a conscientious choice that could be bad, i.e. they would rather take their chances with getting infected and then clamoring for whatever experimental treatment might help them than choose to get vaccinated knowing there could be side effects.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: January 15 22, 2:08 pm
by Leroy
I did get a booster yesterday, and while I feel much much better than I did after the first two that made me feel terrible,, I feel exactly like I did on one Saturday morning right before I tested positive. Kind of a brain fog, nothing else. Kind of like when I used to wake up hungover.

But it leads me to a vaccine question. If I got the booster and feel exactly like I did before my 10 day quarantine, shouldn't I quarantine now? Same symptoms, what says I can't spread it? I am sure that seems dumb, but dammit jim, I'm an accountant not a doctor.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: January 15 22, 2:28 pm
by Arthur Dent
Unless you got real unlucky and were infected at the same time as your shot, the symptoms are coming as much from your body’s immune response as the virus itself. Vaccination is a fake-out simulated viral infection with proteins that can’t replicate themselves to spread but do look to your immunize system like you’ve picked up an invader, triggering it to respond in kind and build up its arsenal against a potential future true infection.

Re: Got your shot?

Posted: January 15 22, 2:48 pm
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
Leroy wrote: ↑
January 15 22, 2:08 pm
I did get a booster yesterday, and while I feel much much better than I did after the first two that made me feel terrible,, I feel exactly like I did on one Saturday morning right before I tested positive. Kind of a brain fog, nothing else. Kind of like when I used to wake up hungover.

But it leads me to a vaccine question. If I got the booster and feel exactly like I did before my 10 day quarantine, shouldn't I quarantine now? Same symptoms, what says I can't spread it? I am sure that seems dumb, but dammit jim, I'm an accountant not a doctor.
AD is right. Your immune system is attacking what it perceives to be a virus hence why you feel off. But that vaccine it's attacking cant reproduce. Going back to my analogy some time ago, the vaccine is a dildo, not a penis. Dildos can't reproduce in your body or anyone elses. So there's no risk of infecting anyone.