Got your shot?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Have you started and/or completed your COVID vaccination series yet?

Yes--Pfizer
30
58%
Yes--Moderna
12
23%
Yes--Johnson & Johnson
3
6%
No but soon
1
2%
No and I won't
6
12%
Leroy
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
Posts: 23718
Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Got your shot?

Post by G. Keenan »

TGantz wrote: ↑
December 18 21, 6:47 am
heyzeus wrote: ↑
December 17 21, 8:11 am
1300 people are dying a day in the US, and most of them, totally unnecessarily.
I agree. We should have doctors use the proper treatments instead of telling people that an experimental vaccine is the only option. I literally cannot understand how so many smart people do not understand this.
The monoclonal antibody treatments are also experimental, no? Perhaps you are referring to some other treatment?

User avatar
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
Posts: 6698
Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
Location: The Lou

Re: Got your shot?

Post by TGantz »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote: ↑
December 18 21, 11:20 am
TGantz wrote: ↑
December 18 21, 6:47 am
heyzeus wrote: ↑
December 17 21, 8:11 am
1300 people are dying a day in the US, and most of them, totally unnecessarily.
I agree. We should have doctors use the proper treatments instead of telling people that an experimental vaccine is the only option. I literally cannot understand how so many smart people do not understand this.
Your definition of 'experimental'? Millions upon millions of us have gotten these vaccines. The percentage of complications is a known quantity. Well within acceptable bounds. What would move these vaccines from 'experimental' to 'understood' in your opinion?
A year does not make it a known quantity. There's also no liability towards the pharmaceutical companies. The CDC says they are experimental. There is one Pfizer vaccine that is FDA approved. Have they started giving people the version that is actually approved in the US yet?

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43286
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Got your shot?

Post by heyzeus »

To be clear, the vaccines are the thing preventing our unacceptable death rate from being an unknown factor larger. The people dying are 95% and up unvaccinated. The vaccines are experimental in the same way that any treatment responding to the novel coronavirus are experimental. But again, to be clear, mRNA technology has been around and studied for many years now.

There is a Pfizer anitviral treatment that shows great promise and hopes are high that, once it receives an EUA, may cut deaths and save our doctors and nurses struggling to provide care in the hospitals. But it's not here yet.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Got your shot?

Post by GeddyWrox »

Fuk'in A. All medicine is experimental. All of it. Just pray it away then, I guess.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43286
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Got your shot?

Post by heyzeus »

Ivermectin makes you [expletive] out your intestinal lining but does nothing for covid.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Got your shot?

Post by go birds »

would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Got your shot?

Post by Socnorb11 »

go birds wrote: ↑
December 21 21, 9:28 am
would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive
I get what you're saying, but hospitals are overwhelmed (with unvaccinated patients) to the point that they can't treat people that need treatment for things like heart issues. I have seen this 3 different times, first-hand. Put yourself in the shoes of the ailing people and the health care workers who have to deal with that.

If you have a better solution to that problem, I'd be willing to listen.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69874
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Got your shot?

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't know...I am a pretty middle of the road type of person and I got the shots after speaking to my doctor. I don't care about the politics of it; I trust my doctor otherwise I would find a different one. I think people should make decisions based on what is best for their own situation; there are certainly people out there that due to past allergies, etc might be advised against taking certain vaccines. I don't know or really care. But if they are not able to be vaccinated then they should also be taking steps to prevent infection.

Not directing this at any one person in particular but speaking generally. Seems like a lot of the people that won't vaccinate also won't mask and won't avoid being out in public in large crowds and won't do anything else because they have determined it to be a vast conspiracy. That's all a bunch of horse [expletive].

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Got your shot?

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

go birds wrote: ↑
December 21 21, 9:28 am
would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive
I won't assume where you're coming from here, but vaccines and the expertise of medical professionals wouldn't be 'partisan' if right wing goofballs and those exploiting them for fame and money didn't make this an entirely idiotic engagement in the culture wars because Jesus and bald eagles and Trump. And left wing goofballs with their crystals and essential oils weren't trying to increase the numbers in their MLM downline.

There are people abstaining for legitimate reasons too. God bless them. But I'll just listen to my doctor like I did when I learned I was Type I Diabetic. And when I couldn't get a boner. When my broken arm was set, I didn't question the intentions of the manufacturer of the IV cart. And even if Obama created the vaccine because Kenya is going to be given California, I'm far more likely to die if I don't get it. Doctors were far more trustworthy two years ago? What happened?

I'm disgusted by the partisan noise too. Lots of Pelosi in a dashiki moments coming from every side here. But it's noise. The science isn't political. Is there risk? Of course there is. But Viagra can give you a boner for over four hours. And Tylenol can poison your liver. People can make their own decisions, but if they can't get into a concert or go to work, it's on them, snowflakes. It's not about elephants or donkeys. It's about death and hospital capacity and thinking of others.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Got your shot?

Post by go birds »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 22 21, 12:35 pm
go birds wrote: ↑
December 21 21, 9:28 am
would be nice to have a discussion about the shot without it being partisan but that seems impossible.

it's also nearly impossible to do any research on gene therapy approach (vaccine???) vs natural immunity considering google only returns searches based on the narrative. so incredibly weird.

trust is at an all time low with every facet of the government because of how this has been handled. hell, most of the government officials don't even follow their own rules and the ones that do are still getting covid. but yea, i'm supposed to just comply and be part of a mass clinical trial for something that isn't proving to be effective in preventing the spread of covid.

meanwhile, i already have natural immunity.

what a time to be alive
I won't assume where you're coming from here, but vaccines and the expertise of medical professionals wouldn't be 'partisan' if right wing goofballs and those exploiting them for fame and money didn't make this an entirely idiotic engagement in the culture wars because Jesus and bald eagles and Trump. And left wing goofballs with their crystals and essential oils weren't trying to increase the numbers in their MLM downline.

There are people abstaining for legitimate reasons too. God bless them. But I'll just listen to my doctor like I did when I learned I was Type I Diabetic. And when I couldn't get a boner. When my broken arm was set, I didn't question the intentions of the manufacturer of the IV cart. And even if Obama created the vaccine because Kenya is going to be given California, I'm far more likely to die if I don't get it. Doctors were far more trustworthy two years ago? What happened?

I'm disgusted by the partisan noise too. Lots of Pelosi in a dashiki moments coming from every side here. But it's noise. The science isn't political. Is there risk? Of course there is. But Viagra can give you a boner for over four hours. And Tylenol can poison your liver. People can make their own decisions, but if they can't get into a concert or go to work, it's on them, snowflakes. It's not about elephants or donkeys. It's about death and hospital capacity and thinking of others.
sorry but i disagree on the whole "the science isn't political" statement but that will just lead you calling me tinfoil hat and will be unproductive in the end.

omicron variant hospitalizations are down from delta variant. it's almost as is if the virus is burning out.

Post Reply