2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13356
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by JCShutout »

As you can tell from my sig, I really like TSN's assesment of who we pick. Here's some info on Branden Sutter I got from the post (who got it from other sources):
BRANDON SUTTER, C, Red Deer, WHL

FoxSports.com: “Sutter is a gritty two-way center with the capability to produce offense as well as shut down the opponents' top lines. A lanky build prevents him from being physically dominant at this stage, but when he fills out to the 215-pound range, then look out. Sutter has a tremendous work ethic in practice and in games and is accountable as a respected leader, even at 18. His knowledge of the game and the details it takes to win cannot be underestimated especially, considering his father, Brent Sutter, is his coach. He has good puck skills and can distribute the puck or score with equal efficiency. He uses his size well to shield the puck and he can stickhandle and create time and space for teammates. Sutter is a good skater who will get better with more strength and power on his frame and could project into a power center. Sutter is a very good in the faceoff circle and could see a lot of ice time in crucial situations.”

Central Scouting report: “A skilled forward that is opportunistic in the offensive end… is very smart with the puck… has a good work ethic and excellent puck-pursuit… very versatile and used in all situations… sometimes tires at the end of shift and needs to work on his conditioning … needs to improve his one-on-one skills.”

International Scouting Service: “Sutter has great bloodlines. He is coached by his father. Not a flashy player. Works hard at both ends of the rink. Makes simple but effective plays. Improvement in first couple of steps would improve skating. Is heavily relied upon in all situations. Has good size but is light. Is still dominant. With some more physically maturity, he will be able to play at next level. Well-above-average hockey sense.”
Not the most flashy player, but doesn't this type of player just scream heart and soul of the St. Louis Blues?

Imagine him in about 3-4 years at about 220lbs on the second line and Jackman, then around 30 on the top D pairing with Eric Johnson. No non-sense, tough, fundamentally sound team.

User avatar
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8386
Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
Location: CoMo

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by Secret Weapon »

sounds like Dallas Drake

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13356
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by JCShutout »

I'd say more like his Dad. Sounds like Brian Sutter... like his clone in fact. All of Drake's defense and intangibles but with the ability to score at a second line pace.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by thrill »

I don't want Sutter. This organization has plenty of second liners.

User avatar
ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4211
Joined: May 19 06, 3:30 pm

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

Will Alexei Cherepanov still be around for the Blues?

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by stlmark »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:Will Alexei Cherepanov still be around for the Blues?
I don't know. We'll find out soon enough. In Jarmo I trust.

User avatar
ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4211
Joined: May 19 06, 3:30 pm

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

stlmark wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:Will Alexei Cherepanov still be around for the Blues?
I don't know. We'll find out soon enough. In Jarmo I trust.
I say the Blues take him if he's there.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by thrill »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:
stlmark wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:Will Alexei Cherepanov still be around for the Blues?
I don't know. We'll find out soon enough. In Jarmo I trust.
I say the Blues take him if he's there.
It's very doubtful he'll fall.

In this Rutherford article from the P-D, he mentions Esposito and Gagner maybe being available at 9. I'm very surprised to see Gagner mentioned. I don't think he'll fall.

If Esposito is there, I want the Blues to take him. People have questioned his work ethic, but his coaches all have refuted that. Who knows what the real story is, but his offensive upside is equal to any player in the draft. Yeah his numbers dropped from last year, but that'll happen when one year you play on a line with Kyle Oksposo and one year you don't. His size and creativity are worth taking a chance on.


Of course if Gagner is there (which I almost guarantee he won't be) you take him. Comparisons to Joe Sakic don't seem far off.

User avatar
ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4211
Joined: May 19 06, 3:30 pm

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

thrill wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:
stlmark wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:Will Alexei Cherepanov still be around for the Blues?
I don't know. We'll find out soon enough. In Jarmo I trust.
I say the Blues take him if he's there.
It's very doubtful he'll fall.

In this Rutherford article from the P-D, he mentions Esposito and Gagner maybe being available at 9. I'm very surprised to see Gagner mentioned. I don't think he'll fall.

If Esposito is there, I want the Blues to take him. People have questioned his work ethic, but his coaches all have refuted that. Who knows what the real story is, but his offensive upside is equal to any player in the draft. Yeah his numbers dropped from last year, but that'll happen when one year you play on a line with Kyle Oksposo and one year you don't. His size and creativity are worth taking a chance on.


Of course if Gagner is there (which I almost guarantee he won't be) you take him. Comparisons to Joe Sakic don't seem far off.

Yeah, I read about Esposito too. He's seems like a strong player also. I'd like to have him.

User avatar
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8386
Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
Location: CoMo

Re: 2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

Post by Secret Weapon »

it sounds like they are gonna try to move up

Post Reply