SLAP

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43292
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: SLAP

Post by heyzeus »

Very weird for people to put this on her. I don't recall her physically assaulting anyone during an internationally televised awards ceremony.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: SLAP

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The Red Table Show thing makes me extremely squeamish. If Will asked me, 'should I do this?' I'd tell him '[expletive] no, and will you please bless my rap track? iI's not good or anything, but I want to be a rapper.'

But he didn't ask me.

What Bill Maher is really saying is, 'if it's really bothering you, put a wig on your wife,' and he probably did the pussywhip pantomime as punctuation. Granted the relationship is odd at best, and the Red Table Show thing is... odd at best, and IMO from a possibly narrow mind, quite a bit worse, there is definitely a weird chauvinism to lots of the commentary.

I did like Colin Jost's joke:
“I think [it] was a disgraceful act that sets a terrible precedent about having to defend your wife at award shows.”

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11727
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: SLAP

Post by mikechamp »

The Slap got him banned from the Oscars (and other Academy functions) for 10 years.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: SLAP

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

mikechamp wrote: ↑
April 11 22, 12:25 pm
The Slap got him banned from the Oscars (and other Academy functions) for 10 years.
I still can't believe he got to stay for the evening. That's ridiculous. Chris got his comeuppance for the joke. If you think you have to slap someone who dishonored your wife, whatever. I can see it, though I definitely don't agree with it. But there ought to be some actual consequences for that. You still shouldn't get to get Jiggy at your Super Sweet 16.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: SLAP

Post by Jocephus »

as far as a punishment, it seems pretty lame. i believe he can still be nominated, win and go to after parties, just not the actual ceremony, which, that seems like a benefit to not have to attend. plus, you know his first appearance back he'll get some standing ovation like he was a victim or something.

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38623
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: SLAP

Post by sighyoung »

Jocephus wrote: ↑
April 11 22, 1:06 pm
as far as a punishment, it seems pretty lame. i believe he can still be nominated, win and go to after parties, just not the actual ceremony, which, that seems like a benefit to not have to attend. plus, you know his first appearance back he'll get some standing ovation like he was a victim or something.
Given declining Oscars ratings, this might be an attempt to boost the tv audience for the show.

Post Reply