I'm a huge sucker for Beethoven's most famous 4th. I listen to Ode To Joy almost every night before I fall asleep.jim wrote:The fourth and final movement usually was good for the soul, really stimulating feelings.
Favorite classical music
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Favorite classical music
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Favorite classical music
If you are really serious about learning, I can't recommend this series of lectures enough:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Listen-Unders ... B00103XBXO
I listened to them on casette, maybe they are more reasonably priced in that form. Or, better yet, check out your local library. Trust me, you will love this guy. Great speaker with a great sense of humor. He tells the stories that bring life to the music.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Listen-Unders ... B00103XBXO
I listened to them on casette, maybe they are more reasonably priced in that form. Or, better yet, check out your local library. Trust me, you will love this guy. Great speaker with a great sense of humor. He tells the stories that bring life to the music.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Favorite classical music
His 9th makes you proud to be a human being, and makes you wonder how the same species could compose "Go Cubs Go".thrill wrote:I'm a huge sucker for Beethoven's most famous 4th. I listen to Ode To Joy almost every night before I fall asleep.jim wrote:The fourth and final movement usually was good for the soul, really stimulating feelings.
- robbotis
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4791
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:05 am
- Location: Minneapolis
Re: Favorite classical music
jim wrote:His 9th makes you proud to be a human being, and makes you wonder how the same species could compose "Go Cubs Go".thrill wrote:I'm a huge sucker for Beethoven's most famous 4th. I listen to Ode To Joy almost every night before I fall asleep.jim wrote:The fourth and final movement usually was good for the soul, really stimulating feelings.
That's a good way to describe the 9th.
I also like Rachmaninoff and Dvorak.
- omaha_red
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12963
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: toning it done
Re: Favorite classical music
corpus christi carol blows my mind..
this one is performed by the late great jeff buckley..
the song gives me goosebumps every time i hear it..
[/youtube]
this one is performed by the late great jeff buckley..
the song gives me goosebumps every time i hear it..
[/youtube]
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Favorite classical music
I was referring to his most famous 4th movement, from his 9th Symphony.pop_haines wrote:thrill, I think you mean the 5th?thrill wrote: I'm a huge sucker for Beethoven's most famous 4th. I listen to Ode To Joy almost every night before I fall asleep.
His 4th symphony is more or less one of the forgotten ones in the repertory.
But I do think it is quite excellent and go to it for a change of pace.
-
MrSaigon
Re: Favorite classical music
I got a cello as a graduation gift, but then I took off to Asia for a couple years, so it has been collecting dust. I taught myself guitar, but somehow I haven't been able to have that kind of discipline with the cello, so I'm going to take a few lessons and hopefully find some (forgiving) people to play with.clement wrote:I love the cello. Been wanting to buy one, but I know it would just end up gathering dust...
My favorite classical piece is Chopin's Sonata No. 3. I used to go to the Morrison Reading Room on the campus of UC-Berkeley, check out the CD and listen to it at the end of a long day of studying. Nothing relaxed me like that. Then I saw that Ivo Pogorelich was coming to campus to play the Sonata, so I went to see him. It was so gorgeous that I literally had tears. Now this thread has reminded me of this and not only that, I found a youtube of Ivo Pogorelich playing it!(there are 4 movements)
It's such a beautiful, emotional instrument.
Here is a great cello song, but a stretch on the theme of this thread:
[youtube=http://youtube.com/watch?v=XAsjKKc2glw&feature=related][/youtube]
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Favorite classical music
fun thread

