I miss the ocean

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
paskal
Veteran Player
Posts: 731
Joined: April 20 06, 7:52 pm

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by paskal »

When I get home from work I change into my gym shorts & running shoes & jog 1 mile west until I hit the beach.

:D

Image

I think I'll do it tonight, too.

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by sighyoung »

OUT of the cradle endlessly rocking,
Out of the mocking-bird’s throat, the musical shuttle,
Out of the Ninth-month midnight,
Over the sterile sands, and the fields beyond, where the child, leaving his bed, wander’d alone, bare-headed, barefoot,
Down from the shower’d halo, 5
Up from the mystic play of shadows, twining and twisting as if they were alive,
Out from the patches of briers and blackberries,
From the memories of the bird that chanted to me,
From your memories, sad brother—from the fitful risings and fallings I heard,
From under that yellow half-moon, late-risen, and swollen as if with tears, 10
From those beginning notes of sickness and love, there in the transparent mist,
From the thousand responses of my heart, never to cease,
From the myriad thence-arous’d words,
From the word stronger and more delicious than any,
From such, as now they start, the scene revisiting, 15
As a flock, twittering, rising, or overhead passing,
Borne hither—ere all eludes me, hurriedly,
A man—yet by these tears a little boy again,
Throwing myself on the sand, confronting the waves,
I, chanter of pains and joys, uniter of here and hereafter, 20
Taking all hints to use them—but swiftly leaping beyond them,
A reminiscence sing.

User avatar
dangerous
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4320
Joined: October 3 06, 12:33 am
Location: 605 Freeway at 91

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by dangerous »

sighyoung wrote:OUT of the cradle endlessly rocking,
Out of the mocking-bird’s throat, the musical shuttle,
Out of the Ninth-month midnight,
Over the sterile sands, and the fields beyond, where the child, leaving his bed, wander’d alone, bare-headed, barefoot,
Down from the shower’d halo, 5
Up from the mystic play of shadows, twining and twisting as if they were alive,
Out from the patches of briers and blackberries,
From the memories of the bird that chanted to me,
From your memories, sad brother—from the fitful risings and fallings I heard,
From under that yellow half-moon, late-risen, and swollen as if with tears, 10
From those beginning notes of sickness and love, there in the transparent mist,
From the thousand responses of my heart, never to cease,
From the myriad thence-arous’d words,
From the word stronger and more delicious than any,
From such, as now they start, the scene revisiting, 15
As a flock, twittering, rising, or overhead passing,
Borne hither—ere all eludes me, hurriedly,
A man—yet by these tears a little boy again,
Throwing myself on the sand, confronting the waves,
I, chanter of pains and joys, uniter of here and hereafter, 20
Taking all hints to use them—but swiftly leaping beyond them,
A reminiscence sing.
Excuse my ignorance-- Keats?

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by sighyoung »

dangerous wrote:
sighyoung wrote:OUT of the cradle endlessly rocking,
Out of the mocking-bird’s throat, the musical shuttle,
Out of the Ninth-month midnight,
Over the sterile sands, and the fields beyond, where the child, leaving his bed, wander’d alone, bare-headed, barefoot,
Down from the shower’d halo, 5
Up from the mystic play of shadows, twining and twisting as if they were alive,
Out from the patches of briers and blackberries,
From the memories of the bird that chanted to me,
From your memories, sad brother—from the fitful risings and fallings I heard,
From under that yellow half-moon, late-risen, and swollen as if with tears, 10
From those beginning notes of sickness and love, there in the transparent mist,
From the thousand responses of my heart, never to cease,
From the myriad thence-arous’d words,
From the word stronger and more delicious than any,
From such, as now they start, the scene revisiting, 15
As a flock, twittering, rising, or overhead passing,
Borne hither—ere all eludes me, hurriedly,
A man—yet by these tears a little boy again,
Throwing myself on the sand, confronting the waves,
I, chanter of pains and joys, uniter of here and hereafter, 20
Taking all hints to use them—but swiftly leaping beyond them,
A reminiscence sing.
Excuse my ignorance-- Keats?
Walt Whitman--the opening lines to "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking," about his childhood memories of living near the ocean on Long Island. It's about learning the significance of death while a child, and gaining the perceptive powers of a poet. It's also about teaching his readers to empower themselves, too.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by docellis »

That was pretty.

Jocephus - you've been to an ocean before, right?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by Jocephus »

docellis wrote:That was pretty.

Jocephus - you've been to an ocean before, right?
yea, ive seen the pacific and atlantic

and actually that post i wrote is from "curb"

im indifferent about the ocean...kinda freaks me out

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by thrill »

Jocephus wrote:and actually that post i wrote is from "curb"
AHAHA!

The thong.

User avatar
clement
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6008
Joined: April 20 06, 10:26 pm

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by clement »

I love it. I'm not a happy man if I don't get to swim in the ocean at least once a year. The wavier the better. I could see myself moving to Sydney someday. The ocean and coasts there are just so amazing. A lot like northern California except the water down under doesn't freeze your ass off.

Sausage_Gravy
All-Star
Posts: 1407
Joined: October 12 06, 10:19 pm
Location: MO
Contact:

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by Sausage_Gravy »

I LOVE the ocean. It is so beautiful and serene. I was lucky enough to get to swim in the Gulf of Mexico this summer, and my son got to see the ocean for the first time. I would love to live by the ocean.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: I miss the ocean

Post by Leroy »

I've neer seen the ocean...well, except for once when I was two, and once flying over it in a C-130 on our way to Guatemala.

Post Reply