I think this post is lacking in heart, intensity, and effort.skmsw wrote:The bottom line for me is, sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and every poster has the right to say what they want, etc etc etc --
but some "opinions" are nothing more than guesses.
and some of those guesses are directly about peoples' character, personality, effort, intensity, and motivation.
We're guessing things -- making them up, essentially, using nothing but what we THINK we see, about people in situations most of us have never experienced, using what we THINK it MIGHT be like, about the personal attributes of people we've never met -- and then we're taking it personally when people call us on making ADMITTEDLY uninformed guesses -- "gut hunches" about people's character!
This is seventh grade home room behavior that has nothing to do with sports. It's the equivalent of creating a rumor -- whether out of ill will or not, the dynamic is the same.
Free speech does not extend to making things up that we do not and cannot know about people we've never met.
Cardinals: lack of focus and/or desire?
- JL21
- NPR & THT Contributor
- Posts: 36109
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
- Location: Chocolate City
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
You are completely and totally misunderstanding me. My feelings weren't hurt, you didn't suggest that I wasn't focused and causing the Cardinals slump, did you?StL Dan wrote:Well, I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.jim wrote:But in my book, you did just that. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.StL Dan wrote: Fortunately, I'm not calling anyone's character or work ethic into question.
Mine are somewhat bruised for you thinking that. Because, if you knew me, you'd say I'd never do such a thing.
But, that's OK. Because, I've realized I'm dealing with a person or two here that have paper thin skin and no rationalization outside what an overanalyzed stat pack indicates.
Stats are cool, don't get me wrong. I just think I've run into one or two people here that realy on and take it to the extreme.
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
You are completely misunderstanding me. I never insulted Tony LaRussa or the players.jim wrote:You are completely and totally misunderstanding me. My feelings weren't hurt, you didn't suggest that I wasn't focused and causing the Cardinals slump, did you?StL Dan wrote:Well, I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.jim wrote:But in my book, you did just that. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.StL Dan wrote: Fortunately, I'm not calling anyone's character or work ethic into question.
Mine are somewhat bruised for you thinking that. Because, if you knew me, you'd say I'd never do such a thing.
But, that's OK. Because, I've realized I'm dealing with a person or two here that have paper thin skin and no rationalization outside what an overanalyzed stat pack indicates.
Stats are cool, don't get me wrong. I just think I've run into one or two people here that realy on and take it to the extreme.
- skmsw
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6340
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
- Location: The Hub
Hmmm. But that probably was not meant as an attempt to analyze anyone's character or motivations, right?But, that's OK. Because, I've realized I'm dealing with a person or two here that have paper thin skin and no rationalization outside what an overanalyzed stat pack indicates.
Take it to the extreme? Like admitting you don't know something, but then suggesting that it probably can be attributed to someone else's attitude anyways? Now that's extreme.Stats are cool, don't get me wrong. I just think I've run into one or two people here that realy on and take it to the extreme
- skmsw
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6340
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
- Location: The Hub
I guess the following quote must have meant something different than how it came across:StL Dan wrote:You are completely misunderstanding me. I never insulted Tony LaRussa or the players.jim wrote:You are completely and totally misunderstanding me. My feelings weren't hurt, you didn't suggest that I wasn't focused and causing the Cardinals slump, did you?StL Dan wrote:Well, I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.jim wrote:But in my book, you did just that. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.StL Dan wrote: Fortunately, I'm not calling anyone's character or work ethic into question.
Mine are somewhat bruised for you thinking that. Because, if you knew me, you'd say I'd never do such a thing.
But, that's OK. Because, I've realized I'm dealing with a person or two here that have paper thin skin and no rationalization outside what an overanalyzed stat pack indicates.
Stats are cool, don't get me wrong. I just think I've run into one or two people here that realy on and take it to the extreme.
Maybe "insult" is too strong a word, but it definitely implies that something negative about the character of the team is responsible for the performance on the field. Something negative about the character of a bunch of people you've never met. For reasons you can't specify.I've been wondering if they just aren't where they should be pyscologically across the board...from the starters to the bullpen to the everyday lineup.
I don't think this team has identified or figured out a reason to play to the best of their abilities every single day. They are complacent.
If that is not what you meant, maybe some of us HAVE misunderstood you, and personally, if that is the case I apologize. But surely you can see HOW one might misunderstand, if indeed you do NOT mean to be calling their character into question in that quote above where you, y'know, call their character into question.
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
I said they seem to lack the same focus as previous years, thus far.jim wrote:You said they seemed to lack focus. In my book, you did.StL Dan wrote: You are completely misunderstanding me. I never insulted Tony LaRussa or the players.
That is not to say they don't have focus. It does mean they might not have the same razor sharp focus they've had in the past.
Hence the question, "are there different levels of focus".
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
I can understand what you are saying and accept some people might get sideways because of what I said.skmsw wrote:I guess the following quote must have meant something different than how it came across:StL Dan wrote:You are completely misunderstanding me. I never insulted Tony LaRussa or the players.jim wrote:You are completely and totally misunderstanding me. My feelings weren't hurt, you didn't suggest that I wasn't focused and causing the Cardinals slump, did you?StL Dan wrote:Well, I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.jim wrote:But in my book, you did just that. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.StL Dan wrote: Fortunately, I'm not calling anyone's character or work ethic into question.
Mine are somewhat bruised for you thinking that. Because, if you knew me, you'd say I'd never do such a thing.
But, that's OK. Because, I've realized I'm dealing with a person or two here that have paper thin skin and no rationalization outside what an overanalyzed stat pack indicates.
Stats are cool, don't get me wrong. I just think I've run into one or two people here that realy on and take it to the extreme.
Maybe "insult" is too strong a word, but it definitely implies that something negative about the character of the team is responsible for the performance on the field. Something negative about the character of a bunch of people you've never met. For reasons you can't specify.I've been wondering if they just aren't where they should be pyscologically across the board...from the starters to the bullpen to the everyday lineup.
I don't think this team has identified or figured out a reason to play to the best of their abilities every single day. They are complacent.
If that is not what you meant, maybe some of us HAVE misunderstood you, and personally, if that is the case I apologize. But surely you can see HOW one might misunderstand, if indeed you do NOT mean to be calling their character into question in that quote above where you, y'know, call their character into question.
Bottom line, it was just a thought. An attempt to start conversation. If it had developed into that rather than someone getting in a twist over character assassination, this thread would have taken a better course.
If I want to talk character assassination, I'll talk to you about Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa or a myriad of others.
Tony LaRussa, Dave Duncan and the crew would not be on that list.
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
Andy Benes is saying that struggling hitters are typically being more impatient at the plate and swinging early in the count.
How do we explain million dollar players not executing their profession to the best of their ability?
Lack of focus?
Time to get back to basics?
Time to re-evaluate approach to every AB?
Surely not. These guys not paid to find themselves in situations where they are performing to lesser than their average standard because they are executing as they should.
EDIT: Oh, wait. These guys are human.
How do we explain million dollar players not executing their profession to the best of their ability?
Lack of focus?
Time to get back to basics?
Time to re-evaluate approach to every AB?
Surely not. These guys not paid to find themselves in situations where they are performing to lesser than their average standard because they are executing as they should.
EDIT: Oh, wait. These guys are human.
- mcgee51taguchi99
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3641
- Joined: May 25 06, 2:47 pm
- Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!


