Cardinals: lack of focus and/or desire?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Cardinals: lack of focus and/or desire?

Post by StL Dan »

Yea, I know these guys are being paid to play to the best of their ability every single time they step onto the field.

However, they are flesh and bone.

I've been wondering if they just aren't where they should be pyscologically across the board...from the starters to the bullpen to the everyday lineup.

I don't think this team has identified or figured out a reason to play to the best of their abilities every single day. They are complacent.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

Completely disagree with your premise.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Michael »

I'm not comfortable projecting pop psychology on to these guy because I don't really know them. I suspect their troubles are due to a lack of skill.

User avatar
TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5728
Joined: June 15 06, 8:29 am
Location: Library of Congress? Detroit? Beyond the sun?

Post by TabascoElvis »

Eh, they're a game under .500 2 weeks into the season. It's too early to say much of anything, imo.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

What is pop psycology?

Anyway, I think they aren't as focused as a unit as they were in seasons past now that they've won the whole enchilada.

I won't discount the notion they may not be as talented overall, either.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Post by JL21 »

TabascoElvis wrote:Eh, they're a game under .500 2 weeks into the season. It's too early to say much of anything, imo.
Though really, that's about where I might expect them to be. In that range, anyway- within a game or two, plus or minus, of .500.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18725
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Post by cardinalkarp »

I'm kinda thinking that this may be just about a .500 team all year. :?

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Michael »

StL Dan wrote:Anyway, I think they aren't as focused as a unit as they were in seasons past now that they've won the whole enchilada.

How could you know this? It seems like they are trying to me. Last year they were an 83 win team and they didn't have a great off-season. Did they lack focus last year? I'm not surprised by their performance thus far.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Post by Leroy »

That thud you heard was the sad realization that they are horrible.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24904
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Post by planet planet »

Michael wrote: I'm not surprised by their performance thus far.
This is going a little too far in the other direction. You're not surprised by the collective offensive effort to date?

Post Reply