Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by GeddyWrox »

I didn't find a good thread for this already, but if a mod wants to move this, I'm cool with it.

Looks like there might be a breakthrough in Alzheimers/dementia coming in the near future. God this would be amazing.

My paternal grandmother had this and it was awful. I think my dad was starting to head down this road too but lung cancer got him before it could get too bad. I often wonder if I'll have this when I get older.

It's such an awful disease. Please let this be effective!

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69850
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by CardsofSTL »

A breakthrough of this sort would certainly be worthy of it's own thread.

I hope the results are favorable. Losing one's self has to be the worst.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12891
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by IMADreamer »

Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:06 pm
Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.
I've been wondering if the drug prevagen is worth it for people like this. It might help slow the effects, anyway. The commercials play on TV quite a bit. Might be worth looking into.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by Socnorb11 »

This is awesome.

Even if it works, half of America will think it's a conspiracy for more government control, sadly.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62279
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by Radbird »

This is great news. Both of my parents were affected. Mom had dementia, Dad had Alzheimer’s. Both had long declines. I don’t want to go thru that. I don’t want the kid to have to deal with it. Please let it be true.

User avatar
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9248
Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by JoeMcKim »

They tried to stop Alzheimers in Rise of the Planet of the Apes also, it lead to the apes eventually taking over the earth. I hope they know what they're doing here.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12891
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:48 pm
IMADreamer wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:06 pm
Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.
I've been wondering if the drug prevagen is worth it for people like this. It might help slow the effects, anyway. The commercials play on TV quite a bit. Might be worth looking into.
I don't know specifically about prevagen but my uncle is on a drug for it. It also slows the onset. Right now my uncle just repeats himself a lot. Not in short order, but over the course of the day he may tell you the same thing three times. Knowing what's going on it is no big deal, you just roll with it. The part we are watching like a hawk is any motor skill decline. Obviously being farmers we run some heavy equipment and it would be real easy to get hurt or hurt someone. Fortunately right now there seems to be no decline on that front. In fact aside from the typical aging effects of being a little slower and not being able to climb as well he is very much still on top of his game as an operator and mechanic. Which is good, we need him. My Dad is out right now after having a series of surgeries in the last two months. Not to mention I just can't imagine what it's like to truly try and farm without my Dad or Uncle. You just can't replace their combined 100 plus years of experience.

Post Reply