She was going through papers and found a letter from the Life Insurance company that bought the company he retired from. The letter is dated 1994 and states that he had a retirement annuity plus an amount in a 401(k) that had been transferred to the new company. She asked him about the 401(k) and he said 'I don't know anything about that." I'll just tell you that in his present financial situation, he better well damn care about that old 401(k).
My sister forwarded me the 1994 letter and his latest monthly statement that shows he is still getting that annuity payment - from Nationwide Insurance via an account at Fidelity and asked if I could try to track down that 401(k).
Here's what I know:
- He is still getting that annuity.
The insurance company that sent the 1994 letter was purchased and maybe another one purchased and on and on until Nationwide obtained my father's retirement account(s?)
My father went through a bankruptcy in the early aughts. My understanding is 401(k) are protected.
Thanks all!

