Questions re: Building a House
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Questions re: Building a House
PARTY! PARTY! PARTY!!!
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Questions re: Building a House
Has anyone remodeled a kitchen or a bathroom?
I'm really intrigued by the place TT linked upthread, as the location and price is right. But it would require ALOT of work.
Ballpark figure, what are we talking about for a total kitchen remodel? I'm guessing a wall would have to be knocked out.
I'm really intrigued by the place TT linked upthread, as the location and price is right. But it would require ALOT of work.
Ballpark figure, what are we talking about for a total kitchen remodel? I'm guessing a wall would have to be knocked out.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69850
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Questions re: Building a House
Not sure the size of the kitchen or the scope of work you are considering but you could spend 20k on a full remodel pretty easily.go birds wrote: ↑June 19 20, 10:44 amHas anyone remodeled a kitchen or a bathroom?
I'm really intrigued by the place TT linked upthread, as the location and price is right. But it would require ALOT of work.
Ballpark figure, what are we talking about for a total kitchen remodel? I'm guessing a wall would have to be knocked out.
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Questions re: Building a House
Yea, nothing wild. The place is only like 1000K sq ft, so there's definitely limitations. $20K was actually in the range i was hoping for.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 19 20, 10:48 amNot sure the size of the kitchen or the scope of work you are considering but you could spend 20k on a full remodel pretty easily.go birds wrote: ↑June 19 20, 10:44 amHas anyone remodeled a kitchen or a bathroom?
I'm really intrigued by the place TT linked upthread, as the location and price is right. But it would require ALOT of work.
Ballpark figure, what are we talking about for a total kitchen remodel? I'm guessing a wall would have to be knocked out.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69850
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Questions re: Building a House
I would say the best bet is price per square foot for your kitchen...plan for it to be about $150 per square foot and hope for less.go birds wrote: ↑June 19 20, 11:15 amYea, nothing wild. The place is only like 1000K sq ft, so there's definitely limitations. $20K was actually in the range i was hoping for.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 19 20, 10:48 amNot sure the size of the kitchen or the scope of work you are considering but you could spend 20k on a full remodel pretty easily.go birds wrote: ↑June 19 20, 10:44 amHas anyone remodeled a kitchen or a bathroom?
I'm really intrigued by the place TT linked upthread, as the location and price is right. But it would require ALOT of work.
Ballpark figure, what are we talking about for a total kitchen remodel? I'm guessing a wall would have to be knocked out.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Questions re: Building a House
I've done a decent amount of remodeling work in the last few years since I bought my first house and got into woodworking a bit, both diy and some paid gigs here and there. My advice is to just live in it as is for a while if the issues are more or less cosmetic. Six months or a year in you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with the space and how it lives and flows. You'll also have a better idea of budget and cost of living.
It's easy to get excited and living in a construction zone isn't always fun, so the impulse is to do it a ton of stuff right off the bat - even before you move in, but the more you can postpone, the better.
As far as the kitchen goes, you can do a lot with some diy waterproof flooring, paint, new hardware and appliances. The sky is the limit on what you can spend on tile and custom cabinetry and changing the floorplan - and I wouldn't look for the best deal from the lowest bid hack that walks through.
It's easy to get excited and living in a construction zone isn't always fun, so the impulse is to do it a ton of stuff right off the bat - even before you move in, but the more you can postpone, the better.
As far as the kitchen goes, you can do a lot with some diy waterproof flooring, paint, new hardware and appliances. The sky is the limit on what you can spend on tile and custom cabinetry and changing the floorplan - and I wouldn't look for the best deal from the lowest bid hack that walks through.


