John Prine

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: John Prine

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

This was a great feature a couple years ago.
[SHOW]
Image
https://bittersoutherner.com/the-big-ol ... john-prine

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: John Prine

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »


User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: John Prine

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »


User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: John Prine

Post by heyzeus »

I can already confirm: Sam Stone is a devastating song, in all the right ways.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69895
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: John Prine

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 10:21 am
I can already confirm: Sam Stone is a devastating song, in all the right ways.
Probably one of his saddest. My favorite is Hello in There.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: John Prine

Post by Leroy »

Sad.

My bluegrass band guitar player is a huge fan, and kinda pushed him on me. I had never really heard of him.

We played Paradise, Grandpa was a Carpenter, Please Don't Bury Me and probably others that I wasn't aware were from him.

Being the 80's person I am, Picture Show is my favorite. But there is a ton of great songs on his list.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30836
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: John Prine

Post by ghostrunner »

I heard of him first through Cowboy Junkies, who worked with him a few times.

This is a well known song, but I prefer this later version to the original. For some reason I've always liked that he didn't mind writing/singing "i am an old woman".


User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: John Prine

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 12:36 pm
I heard of him first through Cowboy Junkies, who worked with him a few times.

This is a well known song, but I prefer this later version to the original. For some reason I've always liked that he didn't mind writing/singing "i am an old woman".

It's great writing. He was so gifted at empathizing, and in this case adopting a perspective.

'How the hell does a person go to work in the morning, and come home in the evening with nothing to say?'

I think about that song when I'm being a [expletive] husband in exactly this way, or moaning over how "I could have been a contender," and try to recognize the things given up for my sake.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: John Prine

Post by Freed Roger »

Leroy wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 12:00 pm
Sad.

My bluegrass band guitar player is a huge fan, and kinda pushed him on me. I had never really heard of him.

We played Paradise, Grandpa was a Carpenter, Please Don't Bury Me and probably others that I wasn't aware were from him.

Being the 80's person I am, Picture Show is my favorite. But there is a ton of great songs on his list.
+++

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: John Prine

Post by Freed Roger »

An odd perk to having listened almost exclusively to a narrow classic rock genre until age 38 or so, music like John Prine still comes across as brand new discovery. I probably started hearing him on weekends 88.1 KDHX public music radio. I hadn't caught this sweet little gem until a few months ago on 88.1
The guy was a great storyteller.

Post Reply