I asked this upthread. I've watched the HBO show as appointment viewing, I really love it, and I've done a tiny bit of Wikipedia U learning about the backstory, nothing too heavy, and I really love it and don't feel confused or uninformed about these particular characters, their motivations, etc.Smith Corks One wrote:Glad to see this - was wondering if I could start watching it without knowing a damn thing about it.heyzeus wrote:I know literally none of the backstory, but I'm enjoying the mystery. Not to surprising, since it's from the creator of The Leftovers, one of the most moving and enigmatic shows I've ever seen.
Watchmen
- 33anda3rd
- Replies Authoritatively
- Posts: 8390
- Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Watchmen
- 33anda3rd
- Replies Authoritatively
- Posts: 8390
- Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Watchmen
This show has 90% of the set pieces and bravado moments of Breaking Bad with 90% of the the character-analysis of The Sopranos and all the political fury re Race In America of The Wire.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Watchmen
Well that’s a hell of a pedigree.33anda3rd wrote:This show has 90% of the set pieces and bravado moments of Breaking Bad with 90% of the the character-analysis of The Sopranos and all the political fury re Race In America of The Wire.
- 33anda3rd
- Replies Authoritatively
- Posts: 8390
- Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Watchmen
It's a remarkable show. Every Sunday I watch it then I watch it again. It's as jam-packed with stuff as any TV show, it's everything I hoped Westworld would be, it's just great I hope they make it forever. It's literally perfect, there is not one wasted moment or word or glance or camera angle or anything. It's the kind of show that can be like "part of the backstory is that a blue superhero won the Vietnam War and we turned Vietnam into the 51st state" and you don't feel like you're doing any work giving them narrative/believability slack, which is kinda vital when a show is more dystopian than sci-fi/futuristic.Smith Corks One wrote:Well that’s a hell of a pedigree.33anda3rd wrote:This show has 90% of the set pieces and bravado moments of Breaking Bad with 90% of the the character-analysis of The Sopranos and all the political fury re Race In America of The Wire.
It's also (and, seriously, don't read the below if you hate spoilers)
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Watchmen
I gotta say, ep 7 made me like Hall and Oates to a much higher degree.
- InvincibleCakeEater
- GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
- Posts: 28275
- Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
- Location: Raptured
Re: Watchmen
I can't adequately explain how [expletive] great this show is.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Watchmen
It really is delivering on every level. Visually stunning. Great characters, writing, and performances. Enigmatic storytelling that withholds mysteries without relying on vague and incomplete writing -- in time, you either figure out each puzzle on your own, or the show gradually reveals it to you in a meaningful way.InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't adequately explain how [expletive] great this show is.
But most importantly of all, it's reimagining the very idea of "caped crusaders" within the context of race in America. It asks a really great question at the heart of why superhero comics appeal to so many of us: What would motivate someone to put on a mask in order to fight crime? Why would they need to hide their identity?
It also touches on the idea of generational trauma, and how the racial traumas of our past influence our social dilemmas of the present.
Man, this show kicks ass.
-
Gashouse
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5010
- Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
- Location: Minneapolis
Re: Watchmen
Finally watched episode 1 last night. I'm hooked.
-
cardsfantx
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Re: Watchmen
guess I never realized before this was just a limited series/just this single season
they wrapped everything up pretty damn well, but there's some unanswered questions I'd like answers to, plus there seems to be more story left to tell
lindelof said he hopes someone else will pick it back up/continue it eventually, but he said he's done/out of ideas...don't know how good it'd be if someone else picks it up
they wrapped everything up pretty damn well, but there's some unanswered questions I'd like answers to, plus there seems to be more story left to tell
lindelof said he hopes someone else will pick it back up/continue it eventually, but he said he's done/out of ideas...don't know how good it'd be if someone else picks it up



