Awesome! I know Minnesota and Wisconsin are "prettier" than Iowa, from what I've heard.Gashouse wrote:You can catch and release trout in Minnesota all winter, and they have fishing easements over a lot of the trout streams in the Driftless in SE MN.thrill wrote:I still haven't gotten up there, I've just been researching for a fly fishing trip and it seems like Iowa is much more lax than Wisconsin for winter access.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tro ... _maps.html
Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
It's more about the premise of solo adventures, rather than paddling. Definitely interested in reading the books by Audrey Sutherland on her adventures.Freed Roger wrote:Indeed
The One Real Risk Of Solo Paddling Adventures
The risk that no one will tell you about
https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2015/03/ ... utherland/For Sutherland, it was always the same philosophy. Go simple, go solo, go now. “The only real security is not insurance or money or a job, not a house and furniture paid for, or a retirement fund, and never is it another person. It is the skill and humor and courage within, the ability to build your own fires and find your own peace,” she wrote. Audrey Sutherland died peacefully in 2015 at the age of 94.
-
Gashouse
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5010
- Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
- Location: Minneapolis
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
There's more area to explore in MN and WI, and I think some of the prettiest Driftless photos have been from WI - and I need to explore that area more. Parts of IA are pretty nice, too. I may be biased since I went to school at Luther College in Decorah, IA, and one of my favorite things to do is paddle the Upper Iowa River. We still do it almost every year and the picture below is pretty much the view from where we camp every year. There are more naturally reproducing trout populations in MN. I think a lot of the trout in IA, at least near Decorah, is hatchery stock.thrill wrote:Awesome! I know Minnesota and Wisconsin are "prettier" than Iowa, from what I've heard.Gashouse wrote:You can catch and release trout in Minnesota all winter, and they have fishing easements over a lot of the trout streams in the Driftless in SE MN.thrill wrote:I still haven't gotten up there, I've just been researching for a fly fishing trip and it seems like Iowa is much more lax than Wisconsin for winter access.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tro ... _maps.html

- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
If 2 are using it, I'd get a 4 person. Unless you are backpackinggo birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
Price range is flexible but it be mostly be used for recreational weekend camping.lukethedrifter wrote:You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?
Meaning. We won’t be doing a lot of hiking to the campsite (but it *could* be a possibility).
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
Yea this makes more senseFreed Roger wrote:If 2 are using it, I'd get a 4 person. Unless you are backpackinggo birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
I’d look into upping your price ceiling. You will definitely want something of quality but mostly something that is easy to put up and is stable. I’ve witnessed too many campers struggling to put together a crappy tent.go birds wrote:Price range is flexible but it be mostly be used for recreational weekend camping.lukethedrifter wrote:You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?
I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?
Meaning. We won’t be doing a lot of hiking to the campsite (but it *could* be a possibility).
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al
Always some decent sales at REI Outlet like:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... mac-4-tent
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... -plus-tent
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... mac-4-tent
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... -plus-tent

