Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by thrill »

Gashouse wrote:
thrill wrote:I still haven't gotten up there, I've just been researching for a fly fishing trip and it seems like Iowa is much more lax than Wisconsin for winter access.
You can catch and release trout in Minnesota all winter, and they have fishing easements over a lot of the trout streams in the Driftless in SE MN.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tro ... _maps.html
Awesome! I know Minnesota and Wisconsin are "prettier" than Iowa, from what I've heard.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Freed Roger »

It's more about the premise of solo adventures, rather than paddling. Definitely interested in reading the books by Audrey Sutherland on her adventures.
For Sutherland, it was always the same philosophy. Go simple, go solo, go now. “The only real security is not insurance or money or a job, not a house and furniture paid for, or a retirement fund, and never is it another person. It is the skill and humor and courage within, the ability to build your own fires and find your own peace,” she wrote. Audrey Sutherland died peacefully in 2015 at the age of 94.
https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2015/03/ ... utherland/

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5010
Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Gashouse »

thrill wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
thrill wrote:I still haven't gotten up there, I've just been researching for a fly fishing trip and it seems like Iowa is much more lax than Wisconsin for winter access.
You can catch and release trout in Minnesota all winter, and they have fishing easements over a lot of the trout streams in the Driftless in SE MN.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tro ... _maps.html
Awesome! I know Minnesota and Wisconsin are "prettier" than Iowa, from what I've heard.
There's more area to explore in MN and WI, and I think some of the prettiest Driftless photos have been from WI - and I need to explore that area more. Parts of IA are pretty nice, too. I may be biased since I went to school at Luther College in Decorah, IA, and one of my favorite things to do is paddle the Upper Iowa River. We still do it almost every year and the picture below is pretty much the view from where we camp every year. There are more naturally reproducing trout populations in MN. I think a lot of the trout in IA, at least near Decorah, is hatchery stock.

Image

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by go birds »

Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Freed Roger »

go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
If 2 are using it, I'd get a 4 person. Unless you are backpacking

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by go birds »

lukethedrifter wrote:
go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?
Price range is flexible but it be mostly be used for recreational weekend camping.

Meaning. We won’t be doing a lot of hiking to the campsite (but it *could* be a possibility).

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by go birds »

Freed Roger wrote:
go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
If 2 are using it, I'd get a 4 person. Unless you are backpacking
Yea this makes more sense

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
go birds wrote:Can anyone recommend a good 2 person tent in the $50 - $75 range?

I was looking online and they seem to range anywhere from $25 - $400.
You’re not giving yourself much room to get a decent tent in that price range. Used?
Will you use it for car camping only- so weight/size won’t matter?
Price range is flexible but it be mostly be used for recreational weekend camping.

Meaning. We won’t be doing a lot of hiking to the campsite (but it *could* be a possibility).
I’d look into upping your price ceiling. You will definitely want something of quality but mostly something that is easy to put up and is stable. I’ve witnessed too many campers struggling to put together a crappy tent.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by thrill »


Post Reply