The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'm thinking it is time to start looking at new cars. Ideally, I'd get a truck to pull around a small jon boat, but I don't want to spend any money. Probably have this conversation in my head about twice a year and always decide to keep the 07 honda I'm driving around now. This year may be different though. Honda is starting to age. It needs a new headliner (puke), the headlights need to be taken out and dropped in acid or something to get rid of the fog on them. Mechanically, she's still a beaut though which is why I always end up deciding to keep her. But, seriously, I don't want to pay $300 or whatever to get the headliner fixed and it's starting to completely detach. Had to cut one part off just so I could see.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tlombard wrote:It would be nice if common sense were still common these days. Not backing up to get clear of the ice is baffling to me even if they just turned around after and went another direction. How is that not obvious????
**Head explosion gif here**

User avatar
Swirls
gone fission
Posts: 8299
Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Location: South Korea

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by Swirls »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm thinking it is time to start looking at new cars. Ideally, I'd get a truck to pull around a small jon boat, but I don't want to spend any money. Probably have this conversation in my head about twice a year and always decide to keep the 07 honda I'm driving around now. This year may be different though. Honda is starting to age. It needs a new headliner (puke), the headlights need to be taken out and dropped in acid or something to get rid of the fog on them. Mechanically, she's still a beaut though which is why I always end up deciding to keep her. But, seriously, I don't want to pay $300 or whatever to get the headliner fixed and it's starting to completely detach. Had to cut one part off just so I could see.
Use bug spray.


User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by wart57 »

Swirls wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm thinking it is time to start looking at new cars. Ideally, I'd get a truck to pull around a small jon boat, but I don't want to spend any money. Probably have this conversation in my head about twice a year and always decide to keep the 07 honda I'm driving around now. This year may be different though. Honda is starting to age. It needs a new headliner (puke), the headlights need to be taken out and dropped in acid or something to get rid of the fog on them. Mechanically, she's still a beaut though which is why I always end up deciding to keep her. But, seriously, I don't want to pay $300 or whatever to get the headliner fixed and it's starting to completely detach. Had to cut one part off just so I could see.
Use bug spray.

Don't do it!!!!

User avatar
a_smith
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4561
Joined: September 20 06, 10:55 am

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by a_smith »

wart57 wrote:
Swirls wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm thinking it is time to start looking at new cars. Ideally, I'd get a truck to pull around a small jon boat, but I don't want to spend any money. Probably have this conversation in my head about twice a year and always decide to keep the 07 honda I'm driving around now. This year may be different though. Honda is starting to age. It needs a new headliner (puke), the headlights need to be taken out and dropped in acid or something to get rid of the fog on them. Mechanically, she's still a beaut though which is why I always end up deciding to keep her. But, seriously, I don't want to pay $300 or whatever to get the headliner fixed and it's starting to completely detach. Had to cut one part off just so I could see.
Use bug spray.

Don't do it!!!!
Why not?
Too hard to get off?

Online
User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12891
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

you can sand the haze off as well. If you don't want to go it alone there are kits you can buy at most parts stores that fit your drill. Takes roughly 20 minutes per headlight. Depending on what exactly is going on with your headlights Mequires scratch X will work too.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18726
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

IMADreamer wrote:you can sand the haze off as well. If you don't want to go it alone there are kits you can buy at most parts stores that fit your drill. Takes roughly 20 minutes per headlight. Depending on what exactly is going on with your headlights Mequires scratch X will work too.
Not sure about the bug spray route, but I've done as dreamer suggests and they turn out well.

tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

As far as the headliner goes, a friend and I redid the headliner in my old Camaro for practically nothing years ago. Assuming the cardboard/whatever backing material is good you can simply take it out, remove the old headliner and just cover it again with some material you can easily get at a fabric store and some spray glue. You should just have to remove a couple of trim pieces and it should come right out pretty easily.

The backing of mine needed a bit of attention from the t-tops leaking a bit but even that wasn't anything that some duct tape couldn't handle, LOL.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Thanks guys. The issue with the headliner is that there is some nasty spongy material glued onto the frame. The headliner is no longer attached to that spongy material and the spongy material is no longer attached to the frame. So...puke. I tried scraping it off which was a real pita then glueing it directly to the frame but that didn't work.

tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

I would think that you can hopefully find a cheap replacement kit for the whole thing that is a lot cheaper than $400.

I don't know what car you have other than you mentioned an 07 Honda but maybe you can use this one for sale at $80?

https://www.partsmarket.com/cars/Honda/ ... /109924707

Post Reply