Manti Te'o got ate by a catfish or something

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by JL21 »

ghostrunner wrote:How is this a major story? I don't get it.
It has appeal to people who don't care about sports, so the networks drive it. Plus it's a horrible time of year for sports. People are still pissed at the NHL, the NFL is down to three games, baseball doesn't start for another month and a half, college hoops doesn't get really exciting to the average fan for another month...

Personally, I'm interested in it because it keeps college football in the news a little bit longer, and it's such a bizarre story. Plus, it's not Lance Armstrong or the insufferable bull [expletive] infatuation with the Jets and Tim Tebow. Or the four months of NFL draft coverage, for that matter, which people are ALREADY discussing.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Remember when ND labeled the games against Miami "catholics vs convicts' ironically implicating they were the team on holier ground whilst racially profiling?

User avatar
ndistops
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by ndistops »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Remember when ND players raped Lizzy Seeburg and then the administration covered it up so she killed herself?
At this point, if people can't be bothered to research the actual facts of cases when they are so readily available, then lying about them should be considered under the category of malice.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by stlouie_lipp »

ndistops wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Remember when ND players raped Lizzy Seeburg and then the administration covered it up so she killed herself?
At this point, if people can't be bothered to research the actual facts of cases when they are so readily available, then lying about them should be considered under the category of malice.
You mean facts like ND didn't interview the player accused until 15 days after she after she killed herself, but instead thoroughly investigated her during that time?

User avatar
ndistops
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by ndistops »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
ndistops wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Remember when ND players raped Lizzy Seeburg and then the administration covered it up so she killed herself?
At this point, if people can't be bothered to research the actual facts of cases when they are so readily available, then lying about them should be considered under the category of malice.
You mean facts like ND didn't interview the player accused until 15 days after she after she killed herself, but instead thoroughly investigated her during that time?
Like there was no rape. Because there was no sex.

People being too lazy to look into things before jumping to conclusions is how this Manti girlfriend narrative started in the fall and it's how we ended up with Te'o needing to prove his innocence rather than holding Deadspin to the same standard.

I am in no mood to 'defend' ND's handling of that case, because it was clearly mishandled. I just can't [expletive] stand when the word 'rape' is tossed around when it's been conclusively shown there was none.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by lukethedrifter »

ndistops wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
ndistops wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Remember when ND players raped Lizzy Seeburg and then the administration covered it up so she killed herself?
At this point, if people can't be bothered to research the actual facts of cases when they are so readily available, then lying about them should be considered under the category of malice.
You mean facts like ND didn't interview the player accused until 15 days after she after she killed herself, but instead thoroughly investigated her during that time?
Like there was no rape. Because there was no sex.

People being too lazy to look into things before jumping to conclusions is how this Manti girlfriend narrative started in the fall and it's how we ended up with Te'o needing to prove his innocence rather than holding Deadspin to the same standard.

I don't know if there was no rape or no sex or what. Maybe it was just a sexual assault. Maybe it was a young girl who was pushed past where she was comfortable. I dunno.
It does seem to be accurate that she was threatened and bullied.

Wait, in that second paragraph are you blaming everyone else but Te'o and ND?

User avatar
ndistops
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by ndistops »

lukethedrifter wrote:
ndistops wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
ndistops wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Remember when ND players raped Lizzy Seeburg and then the administration covered it up so she killed herself?
At this point, if people can't be bothered to research the actual facts of cases when they are so readily available, then lying about them should be considered under the category of malice.
You mean facts like ND didn't interview the player accused until 15 days after she after she killed herself, but instead thoroughly investigated her during that time?
Like there was no rape. Because there was no sex.

People being too lazy to look into things before jumping to conclusions is how this Manti girlfriend narrative started in the fall and it's how we ended up with Te'o needing to prove his innocence rather than holding Deadspin to the same standard.

I don't know if there was no rape or no sex or what. Maybe it was just a sexual assault. Maybe it was a young girl who was pushed past where she was comfortable. I dunno.
It does seem to be accurate that she was threatened and bullied.

Wait, in that second paragraph are you blaming everyone else but Te'o and ND?
I am blaming the general public that was so ready to jump on Deadspin's "80 percent sure" narrative regarding Te'o having been in on the hoax and continues to stick to that in the face of every single piece of evidence that's come out to the contrary since then. I'm not referring to the hoax itself, which Te'o obviously could've prevented by not being such a sheltered overtrusting kid (and then lied because he was embarrassed at being such).
Last edited by ndistops on January 19 13, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

ligten up dude.

User avatar
ndistops
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by ndistops »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:ligten up dude.
I don't care if people hate Notre Dame. I don't care if people joke about this. Some of them have been funny and I've even cracked a couple. I don't even care if people are pissed at ND for past mistakes they have made because there have been plenty. I don't like when people spread misinformation, intentionally or not, to support their assertions. It's not hard to know the facts. They're all out there.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

ndistops wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:ligten up dude.
I don't care if people hate Notre Dame. I don't care if people joke about this. Some of them have been funny and I've even cracked a couple. I don't even care if people are pissed at ND for past mistakes they have made because there have been plenty. I don't like when people spread misinformation, intentionally or not, to support their assertions. It's not hard to know the facts. They're all out there.
I didn't really want to waste any time looking it up. Perhaps it was worded....incorrectly. To be honest, of all the trollish things I said, I'm surprised that was the one that upset you. But, come on, I've done so good at not blasting notre dame up til that point.

Post Reply