Raw Milk
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Raw Milk
anyone dabbled?
apparently its hard to find, due to legality and/or availability where legal, but i found a place out here in colorado and the basic premises seems to be that buy a "share" in a dairy cow.
Just curious anyone's experience with it. the general consensus is that it's safe, but since i've been drinking pasteurized milk all my life there definitely the fear of completely shocking my system.
apparently its hard to find, due to legality and/or availability where legal, but i found a place out here in colorado and the basic premises seems to be that buy a "share" in a dairy cow.
Just curious anyone's experience with it. the general consensus is that it's safe, but since i've been drinking pasteurized milk all my life there definitely the fear of completely shocking my system.
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12894
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: Raw Milk
When I was a kid that's all we had was raw milk. It's fine, it's thicker than what you are used to drinking. You will probably feel bloated as hell the first few times you drink it because of glass of raw milk is going to be way richer than a glass of store bought.
For the record now we just drink whole milk from the store. You do have some risk of getting something like campylobacter from raw milk. I think the important thing is that the farm you are getting it from has healthy cows and a clean living space for them.
For the record now we just drink whole milk from the store. You do have some risk of getting something like campylobacter from raw milk. I think the important thing is that the farm you are getting it from has healthy cows and a clean living space for them.
-
Superorganism
- Veteran Player
- Posts: 1021
- Joined: October 21 20, 8:13 am
Re: Raw Milk
A friend turned me on to raw milk about a decade ago. I also live in a state that doesn’t allow the sale of raw milk, so cow shares are the norm.
Me, not knowing the ins and outs, find a cowshare listing online and email the owner about buying some raw milk. That didn’t go over well. I think the quote was “you’re a fed at worst and an incompetent moron at best. Never email me again.” Be aware of this sort of thing. They take it very seriously. You’re buying access to time with a cow. Not just the milk (lol).
I eventually tried some raw milk from the same friend and it was half-and-half in a glass, to me. It would separate after sitting a while and seemed to froth up pretty good when shaken. Tasted nice but my body wasn’t happy afterwards. My buddy lost about 10 lbs in the months following his cessation of use.
YMMV.
Me, not knowing the ins and outs, find a cowshare listing online and email the owner about buying some raw milk. That didn’t go over well. I think the quote was “you’re a fed at worst and an incompetent moron at best. Never email me again.” Be aware of this sort of thing. They take it very seriously. You’re buying access to time with a cow. Not just the milk (lol).
I eventually tried some raw milk from the same friend and it was half-and-half in a glass, to me. It would separate after sitting a while and seemed to froth up pretty good when shaken. Tasted nice but my body wasn’t happy afterwards. My buddy lost about 10 lbs in the months following his cessation of use.
YMMV.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: Raw Milk
When I clicked on this thread I thought "raw milk" was slang for something else.
Semi on topic, last year I switched to almond milk. It tastes better, has less sugar and stays fresh longer.
Semi on topic, last year I switched to almond milk. It tastes better, has less sugar and stays fresh longer.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Raw Milk
My dad's cousin was a farmer and I'd go visit them for a week or so every summer. They got their milk from a neighbor who had cows. To get the milk, we went into the barn, took the cigar box off the top of the fridge, put $2 in, and then opened the fridge, took out a bottle of milk, and left. No one was there, sometimes the cigar box had $40 in it. Regardless, that's my experience with raw milk. It was good, but not life changing or anything.
- TGantz
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
- Posts: 6698
- Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
- Location: The Lou
Re: Raw Milk
I'm a big believer in almond milk. The sweetened flavor ones are more fattening, so watch out for those. The only negative is for cooking. Scrambled eggs, mac and cheese, pudding, etc. I usually try to keep a small 2% container around.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: Raw Milk
That's true. I use real milk for cooking as well.
I think almond milk is particularly great with cereal
- TGantz
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
- Posts: 6698
- Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
- Location: The Lou
Re: Raw Milk
Yes, yes it is. Especially the vanilla flavored sugary one. I know, it negates the benefits. But man it's good. And so much more appetizing to me thinking of it coming from tree nuts instead of a bodily fluid from an animal.Michael wrote: ↑February 14 22, 12:35 pmThat's true. I use real milk for cooking as well.
I think almond milk is particularly great with cereal
I hunt and fish, but something about drinking another animal's milk is a little weird to me. I still do, but I try not to think about it.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
- G. Keenan
- Sucking on the Rally Nipple
- Posts: 23718
- Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
- Location: Chicago
Re: Raw Milk
Semi related, I've been on a yogurt making kick since my dad gave me a yogurt maker for Christmas and mailed me some starter culture he smuggled home from Greece.
Could not be easier to make your own yogurt and tastes way better than store-bought. Seriously, shockingly simple. I've been using some local milk to make it from a dairy in Fairbury, IL. Pasteurized milk though. I haven't gone full on raw straight from the cow's teat yet like go birds is trying to do.
Could not be easier to make your own yogurt and tastes way better than store-bought. Seriously, shockingly simple. I've been using some local milk to make it from a dairy in Fairbury, IL. Pasteurized milk though. I haven't gone full on raw straight from the cow's teat yet like go birds is trying to do.



