Page 1 of 1

Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 9:19 am
by GeddyWrox
I didn't find a good thread for this already, but if a mod wants to move this, I'm cool with it.

Looks like there might be a breakthrough in Alzheimers/dementia coming in the near future. God this would be amazing.

My paternal grandmother had this and it was awful. I think my dad was starting to head down this road too but lung cancer got him before it could get too bad. I often wonder if I'll have this when I get older.

It's such an awful disease. Please let this be effective!

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 11:22 am
by CardsofSTL
A breakthrough of this sort would certainly be worthy of it's own thread.

I hope the results are favorable. Losing one's self has to be the worst.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 3:06 pm
by IMADreamer
Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 3:48 pm
by GeddyWrox
IMADreamer wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:06 pm
Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.
I've been wondering if the drug prevagen is worth it for people like this. It might help slow the effects, anyway. The commercials play on TV quite a bit. Might be worth looking into.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 3:55 pm
by Socnorb11
This is awesome.

Even if it works, half of America will think it's a conspiracy for more government control, sadly.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 16 21, 4:38 pm
by Radbird
This is great news. Both of my parents were affected. Mom had dementia, Dad had Alzheimer’s. Both had long declines. I don’t want to go thru that. I don’t want the kid to have to deal with it. Please let it be true.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 17 21, 7:12 pm
by JoeMcKim
They tried to stop Alzheimers in Rise of the Planet of the Apes also, it lead to the apes eventually taking over the earth. I hope they know what they're doing here.

Re: Alzheimer's / Dementia - possible treatment and vaccine coming?

Posted: November 18 21, 12:18 pm
by IMADreamer
GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:48 pm
IMADreamer wrote: ↑
November 16 21, 3:06 pm
Please let this work. The worst thing was seeing my grandmother go through dementia. My uncle at 64 is showing some signs. He has been to the doctor about it and I'm terrified what may happen.
I've been wondering if the drug prevagen is worth it for people like this. It might help slow the effects, anyway. The commercials play on TV quite a bit. Might be worth looking into.
I don't know specifically about prevagen but my uncle is on a drug for it. It also slows the onset. Right now my uncle just repeats himself a lot. Not in short order, but over the course of the day he may tell you the same thing three times. Knowing what's going on it is no big deal, you just roll with it. The part we are watching like a hawk is any motor skill decline. Obviously being farmers we run some heavy equipment and it would be real easy to get hurt or hurt someone. Fortunately right now there seems to be no decline on that front. In fact aside from the typical aging effects of being a little slower and not being able to climb as well he is very much still on top of his game as an operator and mechanic. Which is good, we need him. My Dad is out right now after having a series of surgeries in the last two months. Not to mention I just can't imagine what it's like to truly try and farm without my Dad or Uncle. You just can't replace their combined 100 plus years of experience.