Page 1 of 2

Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 11:36 am
by Gashouse
We're starting to plan for the holidays and I'm totally unsure what to do. Recent articles/experts have said the next 6-12 weeks are going to be terrible for COVID, with family gatherings (T-giving and Christmas) being potential spreading events. Add in the common scenario where a family visits one side of the family for a little bit; then visits the other side of the family a few days to a week later.

My wife's family is local, so we can keep a visit to be in a single day. My M-I-L has lung issues, and COVID will kill her. Precautions are necessary - either masks and outdoors or a strict 2 week quarantine. The whole family is on board with those precautions.

My family is too far away for a day trip. I'm not sure my siblings will be on board for taking any precautions. My parents just had COVID and have recovered, so any argument for protecting them is now irrelevant. We're also currently planning on getting together over New Year's, so this will be after everyone has spent time with other sides of families - presumably indoors and without masks. So, my family getting together approx 3-5 days after my siblings see their in-laws means we would definitely be effectively exposed to all of their in-laws as well.

What are you planning to do for the holidays? How are you planning to manage risk?

Not intending on this being a contentious conversation, but mods, please move it to the political theater if that's appropriate.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 12:16 pm
by Joe Shlabotnik
It's going to be low key. Just the local kids and grandkids over with nothing elaborate planned.

Of course, if the elections don't work out, I'm visiting Leroy and taking a voluntary dive into his wood chipper.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 1:23 pm
by GeddyWrox
We haven't made any plans yet, and it's probably going to stay that way. We might pop in *very* briefly to my in-laws on Christmas Day if everyone is feeling well. But we won't be doing the usual all-day gatherings with multiple meals, etc.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 1:23 pm
by GeddyWrox
Joe Shlabotnik wrote: ↑
October 20 20, 12:16 pm
It's going to be low key. Just the local kids and grandkids over with nothing elaborate planned.

Of course, if the elections don't work out, I'm visiting Leroy and taking a voluntary dive into his wood chipper.
I call seconds.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 1:28 pm
by Jocephus
i'm supposed to be booking a flight back to wichita soon but i'm kinda ehhh about it all

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 1:33 pm
by thrill
I am driving rather than flying (16 hours) and renting an air bnb in my hometown with my parents. I would normally stay with my sister, but we can't be around my immuno-compromised nephew until we get a negative test. My parents would stay with my grandparents, but their community can't allow visitors.

We are arranging rapid tests, but I'm not sure if we'll be successful.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 2:03 pm
by Popeye_Card
I haven't really thought about it much yet. We've been slowly reducing our amount of gatherings over Christmas already. This year we'll likely cut out visiting with my wife's extended family, and I'm not sure if my immediate family (my parents, 2 siblings plus spouses plus 3 children each) will all get together as we normally do.

We already cannot directly visit with my 98 year old grandmother, who is in a retirement home. Though we'll certainly "visit" with her by sitting at the window and chatting on the phone as we've been doing. For my wife's grandmother who still lives at home, we'll probably visit, but maybe do so with masks on since she'll likely be visiting with other family over the holidays.

Both my parents and my in-laws have been extremely cautious through all of this, so there will likely not be a lot of pressure to get together "like normal".

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 2:12 pm
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
We don't do much already, so no different this year. My parents have been cautious and I've sent them all the data i've shared in the covid prep thread. But, they've been pretty clear that seeing their grandkids (maybe me as well) far outweighs their concern about covid.

My M-I-L that lives in town teaches special ed which is still done in person and is still hands on (changing diapers and what not) despite 'safety procedures'. Plus, she's already had it and doesn't much worry about anything anymore other than wearing masks as required by the state. So, she'll be around to criticize my cooking and annoy everyone.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 3:11 pm
by CardsofSTL
I come up with reasons to avoid holiday gatherings every year; so COVID is as good a reason as any.

Re: Coronavirus and the holidays

Posted: October 20 20, 6:14 pm
by cardinalkarp
I’ll likely be doing VERY small things w/ my parents, but I think the extended family visits are out this year.