Side Gigs to Occupy Spare Time
Posted: February 6 20, 1:52 pm
Anybody have much experience with side jobs to make a little extra money in your spare time? Ideas? Tips?
For the past month or so I have been delivering with Postmates and Door Dash from time to time. It started as a way to just waste time when I didn't have anything else to do instead of spending money at a bar but recently it's actually become more of a habit and kind of entertaining. In the beginning I treated it like a game. Where are the hot spots, how many deliveries can I handle at once, how fast can I do them, etc. It still feels like a game but I've really stepped things up by having a driver! The girl I've been seeing for a bit volunteered her car and services as a driver. Since we teamed up last weekend, we've made over $300 in about 16 hours while using less than $15 in gas thanks to her little Chevy Spark getting such good gas mileage. With the help we can double and triple up on deliveries plus it opens up hot spots like the Loop and Clayton so much more with not having to worry about parking.
The best part about it all is that not only has it been really fun but we've gotten to know so much more about each other because of it. Somehow these deliveries just keep taking us past places that are important to us from our past. We even delivered to the apartment building directly across the street from the house she grew up in once. And we've made a few bucks on top of it all! We even delivered Chipotle to Oskar Sundqvist (Blues player and one of my favorites) on Sunday. Single bowl. No tip from him yet. I guess I have to go to a game here in the next few days with a sign to shame him into tipping on that order.
Anyway, I'm looking for more stuff like this for us to use to kill time and not even really concerned about how much money can be made (although more would be nice!). Also, I'd really be interested in any ideas as far as places you can volunteer rather easily without a lot of time commitment at least to start.
For the past month or so I have been delivering with Postmates and Door Dash from time to time. It started as a way to just waste time when I didn't have anything else to do instead of spending money at a bar but recently it's actually become more of a habit and kind of entertaining. In the beginning I treated it like a game. Where are the hot spots, how many deliveries can I handle at once, how fast can I do them, etc. It still feels like a game but I've really stepped things up by having a driver! The girl I've been seeing for a bit volunteered her car and services as a driver. Since we teamed up last weekend, we've made over $300 in about 16 hours while using less than $15 in gas thanks to her little Chevy Spark getting such good gas mileage. With the help we can double and triple up on deliveries plus it opens up hot spots like the Loop and Clayton so much more with not having to worry about parking.
The best part about it all is that not only has it been really fun but we've gotten to know so much more about each other because of it. Somehow these deliveries just keep taking us past places that are important to us from our past. We even delivered to the apartment building directly across the street from the house she grew up in once. And we've made a few bucks on top of it all! We even delivered Chipotle to Oskar Sundqvist (Blues player and one of my favorites) on Sunday. Single bowl. No tip from him yet. I guess I have to go to a game here in the next few days with a sign to shame him into tipping on that order.
Anyway, I'm looking for more stuff like this for us to use to kill time and not even really concerned about how much money can be made (although more would be nice!). Also, I'd really be interested in any ideas as far as places you can volunteer rather easily without a lot of time commitment at least to start.

