Page 1 of 7
Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: April 27 18, 9:38 am
by G. Keenan
Mods, please merge if we already have a home improvement thread.
A home improvement question for the GRB hive:
Has anyone connected a 3rd gen Nest thermostat to an HVAC with a "whole home" humidifier? There is a terminal to connect the Nest to the humidifier, which in my case is an old Aprilaire 760. During set up, as soon as you tell the Nest that you're connecting a humidifier it says you have to schedule a pro to come set it up. It won't let you proceed with setup any further without calling a Nest Pro. Any way around this? The heat and AC connect just fine, but getting the Nest to talk to the humidifier seems more technical.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 8 18, 3:48 pm
by G. Keenan
In case any of you unhelpful people were wondering, the answer is that you have to install a relay switch onto the control panel of the HVAC if your humidifier has two wires, which mine does.
Annoying.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 8 18, 8:20 pm
by CardsofSTL
I actually didn't see this thread until now...but if I had all I could have done is offer to call the guy that I would pay to fix it and see if he could answer the question. DIY is not my style.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 10:08 am
by G. Keenan
Oh yeah, I'm not going to do this myself. I found instructions online about how you can do it, but they were accompanied by lots of disclaimers that if you do it wrong you can ruin the panel and fry your system.
Looking at a wiring diagram my eyes just glaze over with incomprehension. Might as well be Chinese to me.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 12:25 pm
by Michael
I researched the same thing a few years ago and I think I had the same issue. Like you I found the solutions to be fairly confusing.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 2:25 pm
by Arthur Dent
My toxic masculinity is that I have to do all my own home repair work. I'm looking down on your adulthood if you can't fix your own toilet.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 2:33 pm
by G. Keenan
Arthur Dent wrote:My toxic masculinity is that I have to do all my own home repair work. I'm looking down on your adulthood if you can't fix your own toilet.
My rationalization is that I have nowhere to store any kind of tools beyond a drill, hammer, tape measure, and a few screwdrivers. With no ability to store them I shouldn't acquire them in the first place and must therefore pay manlier men to do this stuff for me. Men with pickup trucks and garages.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 2:55 pm
by CardsofSTL
All you need is a hammer, duct tape and WD-40.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 3:13 pm
by GeddyWrox
Arthur Dent wrote:My toxic masculinity is that I have to do all my own home repair work. I'm looking down on your adulthood if you can't fix your own toilet.
I nearly failed at fixing my toilet this week. True story.
Had to replace the float valve thingy inside. After only a few F and S bombs, reconnected the supply line. Turned water back on. Drip drip drip. FVCK. Turned water back off. Tightened all the nuts and stuff connecting the valve and supply line. Tried again. No drip. YAY! Test flush... it's working, it's working, then when tank is full and the valve shuts off, GUSH. FVCK. Turn off water. "I'm calling a plumber tomorrow. Sigh."
Call plumber. He says he's 3 weeks out right now. Asks what's going on. He says I probably blew the original supply line. Try replacing it. So on my way home from work Monday, I stopped at Home Despot. Buy supply line. Get home. Try to hook it up. Got the wrong size. FVCK.
Yesterday, brought old supply line with me to work. Bought ANOTHER one on my lunch hour. Replaced it last night. It took three tries to get it tight enough for the leaking to stop, but it is FINALLY working.
JFC. I hate fixing stuff.
Re: Home Improvement Q&A
Posted: May 9 18, 3:48 pm
by G. Keenan
GeddyWrox wrote:Arthur Dent wrote:My toxic masculinity is that I have to do all my own home repair work. I'm looking down on your adulthood if you can't fix your own toilet.
I nearly failed at fixing my toilet this week. True story.
Had to replace the float valve thingy inside. After only a few F and S bombs, reconnected the supply line. Turned water back on. Drip drip drip. FVCK. Turned water back off. Tightened all the nuts and stuff connecting the valve and supply line. Tried again. No drip. YAY! Test flush... it's working, it's working, then when tank is full and the valve shuts off, GUSH. FVCK. Turn off water. "I'm calling a plumber tomorrow. Sigh."
Call plumber. He says he's 3 weeks out right now. Asks what's going on. He says I probably blew the original supply line. Try replacing it. So on my way home from work Monday, I stopped at Home Despot. Buy supply line. Get home. Try to hook it up. Got the wrong size. FVCK.
Yesterday, brought old supply line with me to work. Bought ANOTHER one on my lunch hour. Replaced it last night. It took three tries to get it tight enough for the leaking to stop, but it is FINALLY working.
JFC. I hate fixing stuff.
+5 masculinity points.
Well done, sir.