Getting a repair estimate after work!!!
Flying Storm Debris
- Molly
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4767
- Joined: May 10 06, 9:57 am
- Location: 6.6 miles from Busch III
Flying Storm Debris
I'm driving to work this morning and this huge piece of plastic something that looks like the hood of a car, hits my car head on! Broken driver's side mirror and dent in the hood!
Getting a repair estimate after work!!!
Getting a repair estimate after work!!!
- cardinalkarp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18725
- Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Re: Flying Storm Debris
Sorry to hear, that kind of [expletive] pisses me off. Nothing like unexpected expenses.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Flying Storm Debris
That blows.
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Flying Storm Debris
Freed Roger wrote:That blows.

- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Flying Storm Debris
Not storm related, but this thread made me think of a story...
So one day, I'm on 44 heading east in the morning. I'm between 270 and Lindbergh I think. Traffic is pretty thick, but we're all hauling ass. Probably going 80ish in the fast lane. Car in front of me changes lanes suddenly, but I've got nowhere to go. There is one of those big plastic storage totes blowing across my lane. It's obviously empty, luckily, since it's moving, but in the 1/2 second or so that I had to think/react, I slow down (maybe to 60?) and think "this might really suck!"
At the moment of impact, it busts into a thousand little pieces and showers the cars behind me. No damage to my car at all. It was actually kinda awesome.
So one day, I'm on 44 heading east in the morning. I'm between 270 and Lindbergh I think. Traffic is pretty thick, but we're all hauling ass. Probably going 80ish in the fast lane. Car in front of me changes lanes suddenly, but I've got nowhere to go. There is one of those big plastic storage totes blowing across my lane. It's obviously empty, luckily, since it's moving, but in the 1/2 second or so that I had to think/react, I slow down (maybe to 60?) and think "this might really suck!"
At the moment of impact, it busts into a thousand little pieces and showers the cars behind me. No damage to my car at all. It was actually kinda awesome.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Flying Storm Debris
Last year there was a piece of plywood (about 3 ft by 3ft) on interstate 64 that a semi ran over and kicked up and sailed right onto the front of my car. heard a whack and I was on the Daniel Boone bridge before I could get pulled over. A hunk of it just stayed on the front of my car - held there by the wind force until I pulled over. knocked that plastic stuff on the undercarriage or wheelwell that protects from gunk getting in the innards.
Very lucky the wood didn't slice thru windshield.
-----------------
Last night -one of our shutters (plastic-decorative) blew off in the wind. Oh [expletive], we had 2 showings of our house for sale today. Kind of lucky again, it didn't break or go far. And the other day I had just found the extra pin things that hold shutter in place. I was tempted to throw them out earlier but didn't. Also had a little left of tube of silicon adhesive to make those pins stick in the masonry this time. was tempted earlier to pitch that tube also. Quick fix without any scrambling around hardware store trying to find shutter to match and/or the pin.
-------------------
I mentioned in another thread - potential for nature wrecking things is a wild card in home sale process. We'd deal with it, and are insured etc. With effort we'd probably recoup a lot of the dollars we've put in - but the hundreds of hours of work will be hard to recoup. Steady, New Madrid.
Very lucky the wood didn't slice thru windshield.
-----------------
Last night -one of our shutters (plastic-decorative) blew off in the wind. Oh [expletive], we had 2 showings of our house for sale today. Kind of lucky again, it didn't break or go far. And the other day I had just found the extra pin things that hold shutter in place. I was tempted to throw them out earlier but didn't. Also had a little left of tube of silicon adhesive to make those pins stick in the masonry this time. was tempted earlier to pitch that tube also. Quick fix without any scrambling around hardware store trying to find shutter to match and/or the pin.
-------------------
I mentioned in another thread - potential for nature wrecking things is a wild card in home sale process. We'd deal with it, and are insured etc. With effort we'd probably recoup a lot of the dollars we've put in - but the hundreds of hours of work will be hard to recoup. Steady, New Madrid.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Flying Storm Debris
A friend of mine once ran over a galvanized pool in her Jetta on the highway after it blew out of the back of a truck right in front of her. Messed up the front a little but somehow that car survived and was still actually able to be driven perfectly fine until she could get the cosmetic damage fixed. I was amazed.
The worst that has happened to me had nothing to do with debris but an idiot friend combined with me not paying attention to what he was doing. I had just gotten a new (used) Mustang before my senior year of high school and on the first day of school one of my friends decided he just had to look under the hood at that super impressive v6 (embarrassing to own a v6 Mustand, I know). I was talking to other friends and failed to pay attention when he closed the hood. Apparently it didn't latch all the way because on my way to school the next morning I was driving down highway 70 when suddenly the world in front of me went grey. The safety latch finally gave way and the hood flew up. Thankfully the glass didn't even crack and people slowed down to let me over to the shoulder and I didn't hit anybody. I was able to pop the dent in the hood back out and the primary latch was still fine so I didn't have any other issues. I got REALLY lucky that it wasn't worse and that I kept my cool and was able to get over from the fast lane. If traffic in front of me had suddenly stopped I would have been in trouble but I just kept slowing down and getting over and people were cool. I think it was pretty obvious they needed to let me over!
The worst that has happened to me had nothing to do with debris but an idiot friend combined with me not paying attention to what he was doing. I had just gotten a new (used) Mustang before my senior year of high school and on the first day of school one of my friends decided he just had to look under the hood at that super impressive v6 (embarrassing to own a v6 Mustand, I know). I was talking to other friends and failed to pay attention when he closed the hood. Apparently it didn't latch all the way because on my way to school the next morning I was driving down highway 70 when suddenly the world in front of me went grey. The safety latch finally gave way and the hood flew up. Thankfully the glass didn't even crack and people slowed down to let me over to the shoulder and I didn't hit anybody. I was able to pop the dent in the hood back out and the primary latch was still fine so I didn't have any other issues. I got REALLY lucky that it wasn't worse and that I kept my cool and was able to get over from the fast lane. If traffic in front of me had suddenly stopped I would have been in trouble but I just kept slowing down and getting over and people were cool. I think it was pretty obvious they needed to let me over!
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Flying Storm Debris
Sounds like you're the kind of driver that keeps me in business.GeddyWrox wrote:Not storm related, but this thread made me think of a story...
So one day, I'm on 44 heading east in the morning. I'm between 270 and Lindbergh I think. Traffic is pretty thick, but we're all hauling ass. Probably going 80ish in the fast lane. Car in front of me changes lanes suddenly, but I've got nowhere to go. There is one of those big plastic storage totes blowing across my lane. It's obviously empty, luckily, since it's moving, but in the 1/2 second or so that I had to think/react, I slow down (maybe to 60?) and think "this might really suck!"
At the moment of impact, it busts into a thousand little pieces and showers the cars behind me. No damage to my car at all. It was actually kinda awesome.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Flying Storm Debris
That was the only incident I've ever had and I didn't need any work done so there!
Edit: Sorry, that wasn't directed to me. I'm having trouble with my reading skills this morning. Everybody laugh at the idiot!
Edit: Sorry, that wasn't directed to me. I'm having trouble with my reading skills this morning. Everybody laugh at the idiot!
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Flying Storm Debris
HEY NOW!!! The only accidents I've ever had were hitting a telephone pole on Berry Rd the snow when I was 17 and getting tapped in the rear a couple times by someone else (wait, that came out wrong).lukethedrifter wrote:Sounds like you're the kind of driver that keeps me in business.GeddyWrox wrote:Not storm related, but this thread made me think of a story...
So one day, I'm on 44 heading east in the morning. I'm between 270 and Lindbergh I think. Traffic is pretty thick, but we're all hauling ass. Probably going 80ish in the fast lane. Car in front of me changes lanes suddenly, but I've got nowhere to go. There is one of those big plastic storage totes blowing across my lane. It's obviously empty, luckily, since it's moving, but in the 1/2 second or so that I had to think/react, I slow down (maybe to 60?) and think "this might really suck!"
At the moment of impact, it busts into a thousand little pieces and showers the cars behind me. No damage to my car at all. It was actually kinda awesome.





