Page 1 of 5

Baseball cards

Posted: February 13 17, 3:26 pm
by Famous Mortimer
I've got a bit of a collection, which has been quite expensive to build up, so I'm looking forward to snapping up mountains of cheap cards.

Any other collectors on here? Good local places to go?

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 13 17, 6:30 pm
by Radbird
http://www.onemillionbaseballcards.com

14560 Manchester Road #23
Manchester, MO 63011
636-527-4244

Haven't been there in years; hopefully it's still good.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 13 17, 11:02 pm
by JoeMcKim
I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 5:37 am
by Smith Corks One
JoeMcKim wrote:I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.
Or you could get one on eBay for $20 or less. I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.

I do miss the days of card shops on every corner, shows every weekend...those were fun times.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 6:18 am
by JoeMcKim
I bought the Griffey card from a guy in high school for $60 thinking that at this point in time after he got into the HOF the card would be a minimum $500 card. Never expected the bottom to drop out of the industry. Unless if I can make back the $60(and that be considering inflation that this 60 isn't as good as the 60 I paid for it), ought as well just keep it myself.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 6:50 am
by Famous Mortimer
Smith Corks One wrote:I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.
That site appears to have not been updated in over a decade (his last baseball card listings are from 2005). I saw someone on Craigslist selling loads of complete year sets for pretty cheap, from...Ballwin? But he's not replying to messages either. I'm happy to give a real shop my business, and also that prices are going down.

I picked a year at random - 1980 - and decided to collect every Cardinals card from then on, from all the different makers. I've not got very far yet (and have been grabbing other sets when they were cheap) but it's fun.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 9:57 am
by Smith Corks One
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.
That site appears to have not been updated in over a decade (his last baseball card listings are from 2005). I saw someone on Craigslist selling loads of complete year sets for pretty cheap, from...Ballwin? But he's not replying to messages either. I'm happy to give a real shop my business, and also that prices are going down.

I picked a year at random - 1980 - and decided to collect every Cardinals card from then on, from all the different makers. I've not got very far yet (and have been grabbing other sets when they were cheap) but it's fun.
Let me see what I've got. I've still got tons of cards from the 80s. Like, probably close to 100,000.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 10:14 am
by heyzeus
Smith Corks One wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:I have a Ken Griffey, Jr. 1989 Upper Deck rookie card that I will sell you for $60.
Or you could get one on eBay for $20 or less. I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.

I do miss the days of card shops on every corner, shows every weekend...those were fun times.
I'm sure I spent several thousand dollars on baseball cards between, say, 1987 and 1995. Conveniently, those were the years when:

1. Popularity of baseball cards exploded;
2. Driven by "collectors" seeking investment value;
3. With demand exploding, the card companies responded by simply printing unlimited supplies of the cards;
4. Shockingly, a market flooded with supply eventually corrected itself; and
5. Cards from these years are now all but worthless.

9-17 year old heyzeus learned a valuable lesson about market economics at least, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 10:44 am
by Radbird
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:I can't believe the prices on that "One Million Baseball Cards" site either. Dude must think it's still the 90s. You can get anything you want on eBay for literally a fraction of what he's asking.
That site appears to have not been updated in over a decade (his last baseball card listings are from 2005). I saw someone on Craigslist selling loads of complete year sets for pretty cheap, from...Ballwin? But he's not replying to messages either. I'm happy to give a real shop my business, and also that prices are going down.

I picked a year at random - 1980 - and decided to collect every Cardinals card from then on, from all the different makers. I've not got very far yet (and have been grabbing other sets when they were cheap) but it's fun.
Yeah, sorry about that. It probably was back in the '90s when I was there. I just saw that the website was still up so figured he was still in business....

Re: Baseball cards

Posted: February 14 17, 1:29 pm
by Famous Mortimer
He might well still be in business, but was one of those people who said "this internet thing is a flash in the pan".

Complete year sets of Topps cards from mid-late 80s can be had for $10 each, so I feel bad for someone who went crazy buying then, expecting them to be a sound investment.

I'll check out a few places as I'm learning more about the city, but if (like Smith Corks One) you fancy selling some or see a place that's got loads for sale cheap, let me know.