Page 1 of 2

Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 8:48 am
by jim
I'm really paying attention to the NBA now, and it just dawned on me that the way they have their playoffs setup and schedules that I don't understand the purpose of the division. Looks like you play teams out of your conference 2x per year, and 3-4x per year for teams in your conference. But you don't play teams in your division more than 4x per year, and with 8 teams going to the playoffs all they do is lump everyone from the conference together.

So what purpose do the Divisions serve?

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:03 am
by MrCrowesGarden
jim wrote:I'm really paying attention to the NBA now, and it just dawned on me that the way they have their playoffs setup and schedules that I don't understand the purpose of the division. Looks like you play teams out of your conference 2x per year, and 3-4x per year for teams in your conference. But you don't play teams in your division more than 4x per year, and with 8 teams going to the playoffs all they do is lump everyone from the conference together.

So what purpose do the Divisions serve?
Playoff seeding. I think division winners get the top three spots (although I do remember Mark Cuban lobbying for the two teams with the best records to get the 1 and 2 seeds regardless of division).

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:03 am
by Popeye_Card
I assume division winners automatically get a playoff spot.

But when over half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs, that's not really too hard, is it?

The NFL divisions annoy me too. 8 divisions with only 4 teams in each, and a lot of times teams are only seperated by a couple of games, because they only play 16. I think it's dumb.

They could do away with divisions in the NHL too. Just have two conferences, and the top 8 teams in each make the playoffs.

--P--

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:10 am
by jim
Popeye_Card wrote:
I assume division winners automatically get a playoff spot.

But when over half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs, that's not really too hard, is it?
The NFL divisions annoy me too. 8 divisions with only 4 teams in each, and a lot of times teams are only seperated by a couple of games, because they only play 16. I think it's dumb.

They could do away with divisions in the NHL too. Just have two conferences, and the top 8 teams in each make the playoffs.

--P--
Exactly. I guess it's possible but it would be pretty rare for a division winner to not be in the top 8.

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:12 am
by Dillagii
They have divisions to sell merchandise of division champs.

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:13 am
by Popeye_Card
jim wrote:
Exactly. I guess it's possible but it would be pretty rare for a division winner to not be in the top 8.
If they can't make the top 8, then they probably shouldn't be given a chance to win a championship.

--P--

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:14 am
by Popeye_Card
DiLLaGii wrote:They have divisions to sell merchandise of division champs.
Which brings up a good point--who the heck buys division champ stuff?

--P--

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 9:23 am
by MrCrowesGarden
Popeye_Card wrote:
DiLLaGii wrote:They have divisions to sell merchandise of division champs.
Which brings up a good point--who the heck buys division champ stuff?

--P--
I think I have a Cardinals Central Division champs shirt from 1996 because I didn't really expect the team to be good again. I suppose if I were a Pirates fan, I'd probably buy one if they won the division.

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 10:17 am
by lukethedrifter
They all play more games within to maintain rivalries, don't they?

I remember some years back when hockey essentially did away with the divisions completely and that didn't work out too well.


Speaking of divisions, why is there no uproar about having 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 in the AL West? Seriously changes your odds for winning the division.

Re: Why does the NBA have divisions?

Posted: November 9 07, 10:23 am
by obucard
lukethedrifter wrote:They all play more games within to maintain rivalries, don't they?

I remember some years back when hockey essentially did away with the divisions completely and that didn't work out too well.


Speaking of divisions, why is there no uproar about having 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 in the AL West? Seriously changes your odds for winning the division.
Because 2 of those NL Central teams are the Reds and Pirates?