NBA fans?
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
NBA fans?
My youngest is a sports nut, whatever is in season he will watch. As a kid I was a big NBA fan - the Bucks with Lew Alcinder, Bob Dandridge, Oscar Robertson, etc.. were my team. But I lost interest, even getting through the Jordan years without watching much. But last year I started watching the Bulls with my son, and started becoming interested. I've been watching again this year, and by gosh I think I've found something to get me through the winter. I've actually become a fan, probably even more than the NFL. The NHL lost me with the strike, and I've never had an inkling to even tune into a game.
I imagine St. Louis probably isn't much of a basketball town, with the Blues the only winter sport available. But surely there are some NBA fans out there.
I imagine St. Louis probably isn't much of a basketball town, with the Blues the only winter sport available. But surely there are some NBA fans out there.
-
Simbagal23
- All-Star
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: March 7 07, 7:55 am
Re: NBA fans?
Me. I LOVE Tim Duncan and, hence, the Spurs. I followed him in college and then when he turned pro. My hubby played against Dirk Nowitzki in Germany, so he's naturally a Mavs fan. We have quite the intra-family rivalry. Since we live in ATL, Hawks tix are easy to come by and we can get really good seats when the Spurs and Mavs are in town. The Hawks actually have a pretty young and exciting team; they might do ok this year.
I still prefer college basketball over NBA....except when Timmy is on tv!
I still prefer college basketball over NBA....except when Timmy is on tv!
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: NBA fans?
1) Cardinals
2) Blues, Bulls, Arizona State Football
3) US Soccer
4) Rams, ASU BBall.
2) Blues, Bulls, Arizona State Football
3) US Soccer
4) Rams, ASU BBall.
- TabascoElvis
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5728
- Joined: June 15 06, 8:29 am
- Location: Library of Congress? Detroit? Beyond the sun?
Re: NBA fans?
I started watching playoffs only about 6-7 years ago. Back when Webber and the Kings were challenging for a finals berth. My wife and I would watch the games together after the girls went to bed (she was a big Bibby fan). Then I got caught up in the Pistons run in '04. That was fun hoops to watch. And it's kind of grown from there. I watch infinitely more b-ball than hockey, and likely more than football, for that matter, given the number of games they air between ESPN and TNT. With listening to Chi sports radio I follow the Bulls most closely, though I'm probably a bigger Pistons fan.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: NBA fans?
Really, I'm more likely to watch a random NBA game than just about every sport. It's more fun to watch individuals than in any other sport, it's faster paced and more TV friendly.
I definitely like baseball more, but would rather watch an entire NBA game than any non-Cardinals baseball game.
I definitely like baseball more, but would rather watch an entire NBA game than any non-Cardinals baseball game.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: NBA fans?
I hear what you are saying thrill. Another thing for me is that since we got an HD set last year, I'm more likely to watch a random basketball game. I don't know if it's the indoor arena lighting or what, but on HD it can't be beat.
My only beef is that the tix are tough to come by and expensive for the Bulls. So what do good seats run you in Atlanta simba? I just bought 3 for a late December game on stubhub - 300 level on the side court for over $60 a pop. 200 level seats were $120 minimum, and to get in the 100's I would have not been able to send my oldest back to college the next semester.
My only beef is that the tix are tough to come by and expensive for the Bulls. So what do good seats run you in Atlanta simba? I just bought 3 for a late December game on stubhub - 300 level on the side court for over $60 a pop. 200 level seats were $120 minimum, and to get in the 100's I would have not been able to send my oldest back to college the next semester.
-
Simbagal23
- All-Star
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: March 7 07, 7:55 am
Re: NBA fans?
We used to buy a packet of "ticket coupons" but the Hawks discontinued the packet we have bought the past 3 years. In an attempt to lure us back, the Hawks season ticket guy called us and offered tix to last Friday night's game against the Mavs, about 16 rows from the floor, face value $85, we got them for $30. Upper level (300) might be around $15-$20 each.....it really is a good value and they are always giving us something as we walk in (bobble head, flag, etc.).jim wrote:I hear what you are saying thrill. Another thing for me is that since we got an HD set last year, I'm more likely to watch a random basketball game. I don't know if it's the indoor arena lighting or what, but on HD it can't be beat.
My only beef is that the tix are tough to come by and expensive for the Bulls. So what do good seats run you in Atlanta simba? I just bought 3 for a late December game on stubhub - 300 level on the side court for over $60 a pop. 200 level seats were $120 minimum, and to get in the 100's I would have not been able to send my oldest back to college the next semester.
- Popeye_Card
- GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
- Posts: 31042
- Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Re: NBA fans?
Hmm. I'm the opposite. A random NBA game would be pretty far down on my list of priorities. I think I'd rather tune into poker.thrill wrote:Really, I'm more likely to watch a random NBA game than just about every sport. It's more fun to watch individuals than in any other sport, it's faster paced and more TV friendly.
I definitely like baseball more, but would rather watch an entire NBA game than any non-Cardinals baseball game.
My priorities are something like this:
1.) Cardinals
2.) Great football matchup, college or pro
3.) Blues
4.) Penn State football
5.) Great baseball matchup
6.) Good NFL matchup
7.) Good college football matchup
8.) Purdue basketball (this would be higher if they were better lately)
9.) Good baseball matchup
10.) Great/good NHL matchup
11.) Random NFL game
12.) College hockey
13.) Random NCAA game (basketball or football)
14.) Any NBA game
15.) Soccer
16.) NASCAR
Somewhere around #13, I seriously start looking for other options of things to do. Even cleaning the house is probably preferred.
--P--
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62340
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: NBA fans?
The Nuggets are supposed to be pretty good this year, and I wouldn't mind going to a game. I just can't see paying the price.
$140 for a decent seat on the lower level? I don't want to go that bad.
$140 for a decent seat on the lower level? I don't want to go that bad.
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Re: NBA fans?
Even if St. Louis were to grow to the point that they had a NBA franchise, I don't think I would care. The NBA is so off-putting. I'll watch the Phoenix Suns on occasion, but until we get the Boston Celtics circa 1980s, I'm not that big into the game.


