Little League World Series
- UK
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4263
- Joined: December 10 06, 6:41 pm
- Location: Baseball Purgatory.
Little League World Series
I don't have a problem w/the event itself.
I have a problem with these coaches, they're risking these kids healthwise for nothing except their town's ego and to be on TV.
Pre-HS kids throwing 50% curveballs, the pitcher tonight dropped to 3/4 and threw a slurve.
No change-ups/palmballs and 1/2 curves. Instead of teaching these kids how to throw a curve at 11, how about a change-up? These kids will their asses handed to them later on cause they can't locate a FB or suffer from dead arm from throwing all curves.
Nothing pisses me off more than exposing kids to injury for their own glory.
I have a problem with these coaches, they're risking these kids healthwise for nothing except their town's ego and to be on TV.
Pre-HS kids throwing 50% curveballs, the pitcher tonight dropped to 3/4 and threw a slurve.
No change-ups/palmballs and 1/2 curves. Instead of teaching these kids how to throw a curve at 11, how about a change-up? These kids will their asses handed to them later on cause they can't locate a FB or suffer from dead arm from throwing all curves.
Nothing pisses me off more than exposing kids to injury for their own glory.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Little League World Series
I have some serious reservations about what the event has become. I'm just not sure it fosters the best environment televising this thing on ESPN. Too much fame goes to kids and parents heads, and makes them do crazy things.
- cardsfansince82
- is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
- Posts: 27776
- Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
- Location: at the gettin' place
Re: Little League World Series
And all of the media attention seemingly is focused on the pitchers. They make a big deal about how hard some of them throw and what great curveballs they have. It can't be a good thing for their and other kids' future development.jim wrote:I have some serious reservations about what the event has become. I'm just not sure it fosters the best environment televising this thing on ESPN. Too much fame goes to kids and parents heads, and makes them do crazy things.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Little League World Series
It seems to me like the fences are absurdly short. Aren't they like 200'? Just going from memory of sixth grade or whatever that seems ridiculous. I played in a league in Austin then, that I was young for I guess, where the fences were at least 50' further than that. Actually, that year, or the year after maybe I think it was 300' to center.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't pay much attention to the LLWS, but it just seems like a circus all the way around.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't pay much attention to the LLWS, but it just seems like a circus all the way around.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Little League World Series
It is a circus, that's a good way to describe what it has become.haltz wrote:It seems to me like the fences are absurdly short. Aren't they like 200'? Just going from memory of sixth grade or whatever that seems ridiculous. I played in a league in Austin then, that I was young for I guess, where the fences were at least 50' further than that. Actually, that year, or the year after maybe I think it was 300' to center.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't pay much attention to the LLWS, but it just seems like a circus all the way around.
The fences are short, but I believe that is LL rules or guidelines. Personally, I don't like LL rules. By 12 years old, they should start playing leadoffs. dropped 3rd strike, etc... 60 feet is too short for the bases (70 is more appropriate for that age). 50 feet pitching (vs the 46 they actually use) etc...
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Little League World Series
Those kids are twelve and they play with those rules? What's the age cutoff, are any of them 13?jim wrote:Personally, I don't like LL rules. By 12 years old, they should start playing leadoffs. dropped 3rd strike, etc... 60 feet is too short for the bases (70 is more appropriate for that age). 50 feet pitching (vs the 46 they actually use) etc...
That all just seems silly to me. I know stuff happens quickly at that age as far as growth etc, but there are plenty of 14 year old kids playing high school ball.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Little League World Series
August 1 I believe, so yes some of the kids would now be 13.haltz wrote:Those kids are twelve and they play with those rules? What's the age cutoff, are any of them 13?jim wrote:Personally, I don't like LL rules. By 12 years old, they should start playing leadoffs. dropped 3rd strike, etc... 60 feet is too short for the bases (70 is more appropriate for that age). 50 feet pitching (vs the 46 they actually use) etc...
That all just seems silly to me. I know stuff happens quickly at that age as far as growth etc, but there are plenty of 14 year old kids playing high school ball.
- stlouie_lipp
- Hallelujah Brother
- Posts: 13380
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Re: Little League World Series
I always thought the same thing about the rules. When I was playing LL we had leadoffs and dropped 3rd strikes. Did the rules change from the '80s?jim wrote:It is a circus, that's a good way to describe what it has become.haltz wrote:It seems to me like the fences are absurdly short. Aren't they like 200'? Just going from memory of sixth grade or whatever that seems ridiculous. I played in a league in Austin then, that I was young for I guess, where the fences were at least 50' further than that. Actually, that year, or the year after maybe I think it was 300' to center.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't pay much attention to the LLWS, but it just seems like a circus all the way around.
The fences are short, but I believe that is LL rules or guidelines. Personally, I don't like LL rules. By 12 years old, they should start playing leadoffs. dropped 3rd strike, etc... 60 feet is too short for the bases (70 is more appropriate for that age). 50 feet pitching (vs the 46 they actually use) etc...
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Little League World Series
Sure it was Little League? Because LL has always had those rules. Sometimes people call it generically "Little League", when it's some other sanctioned league (Pony League, Pee Wee Reese etc..). If you genuinely played Little League, with the official LL patch on your uniform and post season tournament format, you weren't leading off.stlouie_lipp wrote:jim wrote:It is a circus, that's a good way to describe what it has become.haltz wrote:It seems to me like the fences are absurdly short. Aren't they like 200'? Just going from memory of sixth grade or whatever that seems ridiculous. I played in a league in Austin then, that I was young for I guess, where the fences were at least 50' further than that. Actually, that year, or the year after maybe I think it was 300' to center.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't pay much attention to the LLWS, but it just seems like a circus all the way around.
The fences are short, but I believe that is LL rules or guidelines. Personally, I don't like LL rules. By 12 years old, they should start playing leadoffs. dropped 3rd strike, etc... 60 feet is too short for the bases (70 is more appropriate for that age). 50 feet pitching (vs the 46 they actually use) etc...
I always thought the same thing about the rules. When I was playing LL we had leadoffs and dropped 3rd strikes. Did the rules change from the '80s?
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Little League World Series
So basically some of those kids are starting 8th grade right now, and are playing with those rules and dimensions.jim wrote:August 1 I believe, so yes some of the kids would now be 13.
LOL


